Thread: Lake Wateree?

Lake Wateree?

Someone told me if I am going to Santee Cooper to go to lake Wateree instead because it gets less pressure and you can catch more numbers of fish. Any truth to this?

2. Member
    I'll disagree better chance to get that big one at santee

3. Member
    It's been over 30 years since I've been to Wateree so obviously my comments are hear say.

For the past couple years Duke Energy has been doing construction on Wateree. During this time they have lowered the lake quite a bit several time, including during the spawn the last 2 years. I've "heard" that fishing isn't great due to this.

I consider Santee a trophy lake. You could get skunked, or get into some BIG ones.

4. Member
    Wateree can fish just as tough as Santee. It’s all about time of year and timing. If you are considering a trip in March or April, I would choose Santee every time barring bad weather conditions.
    if you get on the right stretch of water at the right time, you can catch good numbers of quality fish with a chance at a giant.

5. Member
    Agree with the others. Santee is a destination fishery for good reason. If you were gonna spend some time in the area and wanted to change it up for a day, then Wateree isn't a bad haul from there. To me, Wateree is on par with Greenwood and, depending on time of year, you can have a great day there working docks and points.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

No there isn't any truth to that. Sure you can have good day's on Wateree just like you can just about anywhere but I wouldn't go out of my way to fish it. Your also not going to have a legit shot at a fish of a life time on Wateree. The only other viable option in the area worth traveling for would be Murray.
    USMC Vet!

7. Member
    I wasn't impressed with Santee Cooper, I would rather catch several 2-4lb bass throughout the day instead of fishing all day for 2 bites.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I wasn't impressed with Santee Cooper, I would rather catch several 2-4lb bass throughout the day instead of fishing all day for 2 bites.
    If you can't catch'em at Santee, you ain't gone magically catch'em at Wateree either. I live local and fish both equally, the difference for me is a good day on any of the local lakes doesn't compare to a good day on Santee.
    USMC Vet!

9. Member
    Lake Murray might be a better choice than Wateree,

Wateree is fine. They lowered the water and the grass is gone so many can't cathem without the grass. Takes over 20 lbs to win a tournament this Spring