Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Tour grade setups can range from $15,000 all the way to $30,000 on realistic setups............................................ ..............................

It's nice to see real world number from someone who knows. So the electronics cost as much as the outboard on some setups.

2. Member
    Consumers are getting ripped on alot of things. Just bought a fuel pressure regulator diapghram for 250$ that's literally a piece of rubber the size of a 50cent piece. Firearm company's are very bad. A 1911 style pistol that happens to be chambered in 9mm suddenly increases its cost 5 to 8 times. Electronics have advanced in both tech and manufacturing. They make these units for pennies compared to the msrp. I fun fish mostly so I won't be spending 10k on a live setup. Hell I won't spend 5k on it. When it gets down to 1k I'll get one. The issue is that ppl will gladly pay 10 times the value for something just to "look good" or "feel good". For the big time pro guys I can see getting the latest and greatest because there competing for big bucks and they have sponsors. Everything has gotten ridiculously expensive and it sucks for regurlar ppl like me who don't make tons of money.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Get an LVS34 setup for 1700, a sale priced garmin106 for 1000, 3 HDS 9s for graphing, 2d and SI for 3300, total 6k and you can compete with anyone.
    I think this is a reasonable set up, with possibly one 12 instead of a 9 at the console for imaging.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    Get an LVS34 setup for 1700, a sale priced garmin106 for 1000, 3 HDS 9s for graphing, 2d and SI for 3300, total 6k and you can compete with anyone.
    Staying garmin you could go 3 garmin 9's for $2100, LVS 34 for $1700, and 126 for $1500 and for $5300 you would have an extremely nice setup with redundancy in case any one graph fails. Take two of the 9's away its still a totally functional setup and saves $1400

The idea you need 50 grand of electronics to compete is complete nonsense.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    You dont need any of it to compete. You can catch fish or you can’t. Everyone thinks you have to have it cuz all the pros have it. Thats right they all have it and only one guy still wins. A lot of guys with all this stuff go home with no check. It still takes x amount any lake to win. Its a tool and when used in the right situations it can help you. In others it makes no difference.

6. Member
    Wait 2 years, then buy 2023 electronics for pennies on the dollar from someone who has to upgrade.

Xpress H-56 Yamaha 115

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I just paid $14 for a dam whole chicken. Its crazy
    $7.00 at costco and it is already cooked.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike petro View Post
    You dont need any of it to compete. You can catch fish or you can’t. Everyone thinks you have to have it cuz all the pros have it. Thats right they all have it and only one guy still wins. A lot of guys with all this stuff go home with no check. It still takes x amount any lake to win. Its a tool and when used in the right situations it can help you. In others it makes no difference.
    This is accurate. I have all the tools and catch no more fish than before. I can "see" more fish but catching is something different.

Spend 15-30000 thousand to win thousand bucks if your lucky to win one tournament, not including expenses.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike petro View Post
    You dont need any of it to compete. You can catch fish or you can’t. Everyone thinks you have to have it cuz all the pros have it. Thats right they all have it and only one guy still wins. A lot of guys with all this stuff go home with no check. It still takes x amount any lake to win. It’a tool and when used in the right situations it can help you. In others it makes no difference.
    This may be true on a local club level, any of the major pro level tours, you have no chance unless you very good at FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    This may be true on a local club level, any of the major pro level tours, you have no chance unless you very good at FFS.

I bet less than 5% on here fish the major tours though.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I bet less than 5% on here fish the major tours though.
    Exactly!

13. Member
    My old tournament partner and I fished a geezer trail last several years. He has a 20+ year old boat that has ZERO working gauges and one HDS at the console. He has zero depth finders up front and a 20 year old MK trolling motor that feels like the cables will bust every time I move it. I have a 7 year old tin rig with two HDS7's and an Ultrex. We have won all kinds of local geezer tournaments with these old rigs. Once in a while a ringer shows up. A guy fished with us in Oct that just bought a huge Vexus with more money in electronics than either of our boats cost. We all cheer each other on realising spending the amounts we do on food, a hotel, a boat and the truck that goes with it is just insane to go chase a fish we are going to throw back.

If you are a pro then YES you take advantage of every opportunity of an edge. Face it, maybe 500 people make their living in America fishing for bass? The rest of us are enjoying the outdoors.

14. Member
    Go against the grain and show everyone you don't need all that fancy stuff to catch them and win. Be a trend setter instead of a follower.

Old salts in my club don't have any of that stuff and still win majority of tournaments and still end up being angler of the year.

15. Member
    No disrespect to anyone, because we all are probably guilty of saying we wish we had more money. But darn, there’s a lot of threads on here, year after year, about how hard it is to keep up with the Joneses. Does anyone believe that this is something new? We have a basically free market, which means that most things can be priced at whatever the seller wishes, and I’m pretty sure that ever since the beginning of human civilization, some folks have had more than others.

16. Member
    Don’t need any of the fancy electronics to compete. MLF was just won flipping here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123