Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    100 Grand isn't a lot of money to a lot of people.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    It's nuts! Could you imagine putting the first gouge in a $100k boat!
    Yes, yes I can!!!!

3. Member
    Compare what percentage of personal income it takes to buy a new bass boat today verses 10 to 30 years ago. I bought a new Ranger in 1986 for 14 grand and was making 40 grand, now days new boats are around 100 grand and most people don't make that much.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Not everybody is confined to making $50k at the factory where dad worked.
    This country was born on Factory jobs in case you haven't noticed. I can well afford a new boat without payments, Or for that matter one like the Elites but the question is would I? Answer Hell no there are too many good used boats out there. Oh, and by the Way My Dad died when I was 5 years old working as a carpenter, I worked in Aerospace Kinda like a Factory. I've worked my ass off to get where I'm at and not with daddy's help. Oh, and by the way I'm 86 yrs. Old

5. Member
    I get being able to afford the nice boat when you have an established career and are making good money.

The college kids that just qualified for the elites / fishing opens are what blows my mind. They literally haven't been working long enough to get anywhere near paying for the rigs they have, even with financing. They must have insanely supportive parents
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

There are plenty of used boats out there in all price ranges. Tons of boats not tricked out with $20,000 plus in accessories.

Let's call it what it really is, people are complaining that they are priced out of20-21' fully loaded tournament ready boats with every feature known to mankind. They are not priced out of bass boats. There is a big difference.

7. Member
    Okay. My dad is dead too. He worked his whole life at the factory. He did very well. i do okay. My boat is old. I hope it keeps running. I'll put a new motor on i before I'd buy a new boat. I hope to fish some in retirement.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

8. Member
    If my house was paid for it would be easy.

My boat sat on the lot for a long time because everyone that applied for a loan was turned down and my boat was only $40k.

At least that's what the sales guy told me.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    More people are doing better than some people think. A boat loan is fairly tough to get in terms of qualifying for it. They don't just had them out to people with poor to even average credit ratings.
    Common sense says if you have a good credit rating then you have some sense on how to manage your finances.
    Reality is some people think because they can't do something then everyone else can't either. Lots of people are doing OK these days.
    I'm in agreement. Qualifying for a loan on a boat is not for everyone. Banks land money to those that have some discretionary income and are considered good risks. A lot of people seem to think everyone can get this type of loan . Not true.

Also agree with "lots of people are doing ok these days". We live in a republic governed by democracy with an economy based upon capitalism .
    We are free to purchase as we please. Some have ability to obtain loans. Some have no need for a loan. It's really up to the individual to manage his/her finances as they see fit. Banks will not loan money to folks unless they think they can with limited risk.

Coveting thy neighbor just isn't cool.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

11. Member
    Guys have been buying with 15-20 year boat loans for over 20 years. Guys are also spending more on electronics than my boat cost me. The hard part is trying to sell them used for 80k.

12. Member
    How people spend their money seems to be a very popular topic on this forum. I have many friends who spend their money their way and I spend it my way. We all seem to be happy.

13. Member
    First off I am not one of those who can afford a 80K-100K boat though I have a comfortable income. There are many who through ability and effort who make an income that they can comfortably afford one and my hat is off to them. Some others perhaps over extend their finances to get their dream boat. No different than those who can or cannot afford other expensive hobbies.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

14. Member
    My boat is real old and on it's last leg. My kids will be getting for college not too long from now, but I save for college and retirement. I know I'll be in the market very soon and paying cash won't be an option for any boat, but I am fine with making payments because I have great credit and my job as a teacher isn't going anywhere.

15. Member
    I know a 21 year old doing electrical work in rural VA. Made over 100K his first year. That's pretty decent for most of Virginia. Lives at home with parents. Drives an old accord and has an old tundra for a hunting truck. He has no problem with a $75k boat for 5 years. Good kid. Has his head on straight. Not afraid to work and take some OT. 401K kicking. Stock plan with weekly contributions. Has a new truck savings account. another for home down payment. If he wants a boat, have at it. He shouldn't be concerned with middle aged people up to their eyeballs in debt. I know a 30 something couple who make $100k combined. They just built their dream home a year ago. Don't know how they got the loan, but I know that they are already regretting the $2500 payment. There are all kinds out there. What ever works for them. It doesn't affect me or hurt my feelings.

Running the numbers. $75k boat for 5 years is $1400 month. Don't think that is a problem for the kid.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Lots of people make good money. It's just 100k.
    This ^. It boggles my mind how many people in our reasonably small city make 150-200k per year, or more. Literally hundreds of people. And in most households there are two incomes. Let’s not forget that almost always a $100k boat purchase is a step up from a $60-75k boat. I never made more than $60k per year myself, but my last boat was $65k. The difference I paid from my previous boat was $17k, which I could afford by saving $350 a month for 4 years. And yes, my latest boat has more high-priced equipment on it than the previous one, part of the reason for price increases.

The ones that I cant figure out are these 20 year old kids running a new $100k boat and $100k truck.

Think when I was 20 I was driving an S10 that I paid like $4k for and drove for 5 years.

18. Member
    I think people are doing a 20 year loan but not paying it for 20 years... More like paying for it for 5 years then selling it or just paying for it in 10 years... I HIGHLY doubt people are pulling 20 year loans and paying it for 20 years.... Unless you REALLY LOVE the boat that much.. I wouldnt mind pulling a 20 year loan and keeping boat for 5 years then selling it or just paying it off in 10 years.... Just depends on your financial situation I guess

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    More people are doing better than some people think. A boat loan is fairly tough to get in terms of qualifying for it. They don't just had them out to people with poor to even average credit ratings.
    Common sense says if you have a good credit rating then you have some sense on how to manage your finances.
    Reality is some people think because they can't do something then everyone else can't either. Lots of people are doing OK these days.
    This, when my friends were getting car loans after college I drove what I could pay for with cash. I worked hard and bought my first Jon boat with cash and continued to save. I didn't buy my first NEW bass boat off the show room floor until 2021 (25 years later). Other than your home, my thought has been if you cannot pay for it outright you cannot afford it. Compound interest can be your best friend or worst enemy.
    2021 Ranger 521C
    2021 Mercury ProXS 250
    3 x Lowrance HDS12's
    1 x Lowrance HDS9
    Active Target

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjvana37 View Post
    This country was born on Factory jobs in case you haven't noticed. I can well afford a new boat without payments, Or for that matter one like the Elites but the question is would I? Answer Hell no there are too many good used boats out there. Oh, and by the Way My Dad died when I was 5 years old working as a carpenter, I worked in Aerospace Kinda like a Factory. I've worked my ass off to get where I'm at and not with daddy's help. Oh, and by the way I'm 86 yrs. Old
    You're almost old enough to run for President. I'll vote for you!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast