Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on Buying a Used Lynx?

I’ll be moving to Clear Lake, CA shortly and have a budget of about $65k. Honestly the Lynx looks like a great option, but I worry about resale if I decide to switch models in 5 years, especially considering the reputation of that hull being a bit difficult to balance and run. There’s also the additional factors of having 2 different Lynx hulls in the 2020 model year and it being discontinued due to the Puma and Caracal STS being superior hulls. After 5-10 years I would think the Pumas and Caracals that are just outside my price range now would be competing with my Lynx if I were to sell it.
    i know guys selling their Lynx boats now have a bunch of money in them, but it seems like the value will really take a hit as these newer hulls get more common.
    2019 Bass Cat Cougar / 2019 Mercury 250
    Lake Shasta Record Spotted Bass: 9.63lbs

2. Member
    With the new Puma, Caracal and Jag STS hulls being the latest and greatest, it will at least 4 years before one is available in your price range.
    It may not have the soft ride of the above mentioned hulls, but the Lynx is a big water, big wave beating machine. That was its main design purpose.

As far as resale, you will probably be fine as the other options will still remain more expensive then your Lynx.
    If it had a Rude or Suzuki on the back, then it could impact resale and marketability.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

I think the Lynx will hold it's value with the prices you can get a used one for now, it's not a boat for everyone. Search all the old posts on here, going back to 2018, it can be a handful, but can be tamed with the right prop and setup. I ran a 2018 for 3 seasons and 250 hours and have been one of the biggest proponents to running a Bravo1XS prop on one, it really helps get the nose up at the lower speeds and helps with the "hunting" issue. The Lynx is difficult to be comfortable with in tight crosswakes, like a crowded tournament launch in a river, that's where it was the worst for me, it hunts in the crosswakes and feels like it wants to hook, but doesn't. I know several guys that hooked theirs at speed and got thrown out, I think due to running the prop too high. I was helping a guy test props on his 300 Verado Lynx, he got the jackplate too high and hooked it. The boat is one that you have to respect, I ran it all over the west in big water, it rides well and is fast. Don't buy one and put 3 graphs and an Ultrex on the front and then fill the front lockers up, you want to keep the nose light.
    Last edited by mike464; 02-27-2024 at 10:20 AM.

I wouldn’t hesitate if it was a boat I loved.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

5. Member
    In the grand scheme of things the lynx to some extent is similar to the Jaguar as far as not many built each year. None are being built now so it’s like a limited production model. The value will hold as a result. Remember supply and demand here.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    I wouldn’t hesitate if it was a boat I loved.
    Agree. As far as resale, it is never a problem to sell a BCB that has been taken care of and priced accordingly.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

7. Member
    Lynx with a 300 is a great setup, or a 250 SHO that you can flash to a 300. With just a 250 on it there are better options in my opinion.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Lynx with a 300 is a great setup, or a 250 SHO that you can flash to a 300. With just a 250 on it there are better options in my opinion.
    I’d save money and get a Suzuki 150SS in it

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I’d save money and get a Suzuki 150SS in it
    That would be a turd for sure.

I had a 2020 Lynx with a 300 Pro Xs, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

11. Member
    I have a 19 Lynx with the 250 ProXS. Keeping the nose light and running a 4 blade takes all of the concern out of it hunting or wanting to hook. It is still a great boat that fishes very well on rough days.

12. Member
    Just my opinion...

I would rather have a Puma FTD or Cougar FTD in that price range. I think you would have a little better luck reselling either of those. There's a 2019 Cougar FTD listed for $64,500. Admittedly it's in MS, but if you're patient you could find one in your price range closer to you.

Don't get me wrong - the Lynx will resell - and if you get one for the right price you should be fine. I just feel like the Cougar or Puma are a little more popular and would hold their value a bit better. The Lynx could take longer to find the right buyer at the right price.
    2023 Puma STS

Just my opinion ...

There is NO WAY a Puma or Cougar FTD is better in value than the Lynx, not even close. The STS series yes but not the FTD. Buying a boat is in the eyes of the beholder who wants it. As an example, Champion does not make boats anymore but they sure as hell sell when one is still in good condition to this very day !! Buy a boat that has value to YOU. There are many factors in that personal decision.
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

Quote Originally Posted by RMG63 View Post
    Just my opinion ...

There is NO WAY a Puma or Cougar FTD is better in value than the Lynx, not even close. The STS series yes but not the FTD. Buying a boat is in the eyes of the beholder who wants it. As an example, Champion does not make boats anymore but they sure as hell sell when one is still in good condition to this very day !! Buy a boat that has value to YOU. There are many factors in that personal decision.
    Well said.
    2022 Basscat Jaquar
    Mercury 300 Pro Xs

15. Member
    All very good points, I think the Lynx would be a better hull for Clear Lake, probably the best that would fit my price range. The advantages of having a hull designed for big water probably outweigh the struggles I might have selling it later on. They’re rare out west so I’ll probably end up in a Cougar/Puma anyways.
    2019 Bass Cat Cougar / 2019 Mercury 250
    Lake Shasta Record Spotted Bass: 9.63lbs

If you want to find a Lynx at a bargain price you'll probably need to travel, I wouldn't let that hold you back. Between the BassCat for sale pages on FB, here, and the BassCat.com owners forum, you ought to be able to find what you want. The Lynx has a much better/softer big water ride than a Puma or Cougar, unless you up your budget for a 203 Hybrid.

17. Member
    So how does everyone with a Lynx like the different setup on the deck lids? Got to be honest, they look a little weird to me. Love the look of the boat, but my symmetrical driven mind, it’s hard to like, but if the functionality is superior to normal lids, then I could overlook the style of lids.
    Last edited by procraftokie; 02-29-2024 at 08:22 PM.

18. Member
    If you like the boat then get it. All basscats hold their value! If you're worried about resale then try and use it to your advantage buying it.

We’ve not had any angler buy a Lynx and dislike the floor plan. Most anglers understood the non traditional layout once they spend time in the product. We found a few lids arrangements we would change given the chance. Those are only improvements on the layout, not a remodification. It’s works well and many get accustomed quick to almost only using just the center rod box for rods and tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by procraftokie View Post
    So how does everyone with a Lynx like the different setup on the deck lids? Got to be honest, they look a little weird to me. Love the look of the boat, but my symmetrical driven mind, it’s hard to like, but if the functionality is superior to normal lids, then I could overlook the style of lids.

20. Member
    Buy the boat that fits what you want and need. It sounds like you already understand the nature of the Lynx. BCB will always resale well. While the re-sale compared to an STS hull is still hard to judge, we can look back at some previous models that are similar such as the PIV or the Non-STS Caracal. PIV's are highly sought after and NON-STS Caracals still sell well.

A wide body Cat with a 4s is hard to imagine not re-selling well in any economic environment. If it is the right boat for you. Roll with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast