FFS and winning weight

Just out of curiosity, what do you think the winning weight would have been without the use of FFS? BASS had 100-13 and MLF (Wheeler) roughly 141 over the rounds. Majority of those fish go untouched?

2. Member
    Probably 14-15 per day ...maybe even lower as the week went on....so 53-57lbs. The fish were not on the bank till Sunday. It would have been brutal to watch let alone compete in.

3. Member
    The same. Personally I think it would have been better. I swear its like people have forgotten how to fish. Research tournament weights from the early 2000s, to the mid 2000s, to the beginning of SS sonar, to FFS, weights have relatively remain unchanged, people are just too ignorant to go out and graph and find the spots that are still loaded. All FFs has done is give instant satisfaction of catching fish instantly (for those who utilize it correctly). And made people realize the fish can live anywhere. If any of those "old school" guys would have reverted to what they know and how to catch them they would have. They would have noted the shallow bite wasnt there and would have used graphs and sonar to locate schools off main lake point, secondary points and flats. Some principles still apply to bass fishing. Brian Lattimore recent sam Rayburn YouTube video explains this as well, as he got stuck into fishing FFS for 2.5 lbers when his better bites were coming from the bank. They are all getting sucked in to the if you dont have it you can't compete and its worse with the younger generation. Sure its how events are "won" today, well no kidding if the entire field is trying it or using it then it will be won that way. Weights have not increased in tournaments as a whole, sure there are some that stand out and thats just the nature of a lake and sure a spring time event can yield a few big catches, but if 20 years ago using 2d sonar was able to bring in 80-100 lbs, it can still be done today. The only one I truly saw that was interesting was the way Scott Martin used his setup to catch those fish on Okeechobee. That was impressive.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    The same. Personally I think it would have been better. I swear its like people have forgotten how to fish. Research tournament weights from the early 2000s, to the mid 2000s, to the beginning of SS sonar, to FFS, weights have relatively remain unchanged, people are just too ignorant to go out and graph and find the spots that are still loaded. All FFs has done is give instant satisfaction of catching fish instantly (for those who utilize it correctly). And made people realize the fish can live anywhere. If any of those "old school" guys would have reverted to what they know and how to catch them they would have. They would have noted the shallow bite wasnt there and would have used graphs and sonar to locate schools off main lake point, secondary points and flats. Some principles still apply to bass fishing. Brian Lattimore recent sam Rayburn YouTube video explains this as well, as he got stuck into fishing FFS for 2.5 lbers when his better bites were coming from the bank. They are all getting sucked in to the if you dont have it you can't compete and its worse with the younger generation. Sure its how events are "won" today, well no kidding if the entire field is trying it or using it then it will be won that way. Weights have not increased in tournaments as a whole, sure there are some that stand out and thats just the nature of a lake and sure a spring time event can yield a few big catches, but if 20 years ago using 2d sonar was able to bring in 80-100 lbs, it can still be done today. The only one I truly saw that was interesting was the way Scott Martin used his setup to catch those fish on Okeechobee. That was impressive.
    You mean old school like Hackney and Christie who went shallow and tanked? Trust me, guys still go out there looking for schools of fish and how to catch them the ways before FFS.
    Toledo would have been a horrible tournament without FFS. I think fishing pressure has the fish suspending away from those typical offshore locations and away from the bank. They will have to go to the bank but as soon as a school forms offshore there is a boat that will find it and they bust up quickly. The days of huge schools hanging around are gone. Rayburn for example, a school will get together but you will be lucky to get 5 before they bust up and quit biting. They are getging smart to our tactics

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    You mean old school like Hackney and Christie who went shallow and tanked? Trust me, guys still go out there looking for schools of fish and how to catch them the ways before FFS.
    Toledo would have been a horrible tournament without FFS. I think fishing pressure has the fish suspending away from those typical offshore locations and away from the bank. They will have to go to the bank but as soon as a school forms offshore there is a boat that will find it and they bust up quickly. The days of huge schools hanging around are gone. Rayburn for example, a school will get together but you will be lucky to get 5 before they bust up and quit biting. They are getging smart to our tactics
    This is not the first time Hackney and Christie have tanked.

P01135809

Quote Originally Posted by shooter66 View Post
    Probably 14-15 per day ...maybe even lower as the week went on....so 53-57lbs. The fish were not on the bank till Sunday. It would have been brutal to watch let alone compete in.

It's Toledo Bend in early spring g. 14-15lbs a day will not get it done over 4 days. I think 75-85lbs without FFS.

7. Member
    Maybe 90 or so. Take away ffs and fish still get found a different way and caught. They're the best in the world on one of the best lakes.
    The shallow guys went all in on a bet they'd push to the bank with the warming trend and lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Maybe 90 or so. Take away ffs and fish still get found a different way and caught. They're the best in the world on one of the best lakes.
    The shallow guys went all in on a bet they'd push to the bank with the warming trend and lost.

Yep. Guys would have caught fish offshore without FFS as well.