Engine shut itself down and 1 loud beep occurs before it shuts down.

I fished for about 5 hours today (first time out this year), but only got on plane once, so idled mostly. When coming back to the ramp idling my water pressure read 5-6psi, temp was consistently at 125, voltage was 13.6 I believe, seemed to be running just fine. Got to the ramp, backed my trailer down and when my son turned the engine on a loud beep could be heard and the motor died. This happened 3 times. He said my mercmonitor read 200 degrees. Ended up using the trolling motor to trailer the boat. Suggestions? I read on here that a loud single beep is a critical fault. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Champ2005; 02-25-2024 at 08:11 PM.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Need to get the fault codes read and go from there.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like it overheated. Verify water pump is still working- and that the engine will start when hooked to water supply appropriately, or in the water (submerged gearcase).

When was the water pump last replaced?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Water pump replaced year before last. I bought one and am going to replace it but was waiting until spring. I usually don't get out in February in Northwest Indiana. Unusually warm here. Anyway, should I have the mechanic read the fault code(s) as BobG said, or replace the water pump and see how that goes?

Also, why did it not overheat while idling along and then overheat after arriving at the dock? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Sounds like it overheated. Verify water pump is still working- and that the engine will start when hooked to water supply appropriately, or in the water (submerged gearcase).

When was the water pump last replaced?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'd recommend both... it's overdue on the water pump so probably wise to have it done when you go in.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don. They determined it was the water pump. Thermostats cycled just fine.

Question: The mechanic said my engine appeared to have an abundance of carbon build-up, possible reasons?

I'd recommend both... it's overdue on the water pump so probably wise to have it done when you go in.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ2005
    I fished for about 5 hours today (first time out this year), but only got on plane once, so idled mostly. When coming back to the ramp idling
    The carbon buildup can come just from the above quoted activity.

8. Member
    I figured. I'd like to use the power tune method you described in several threads I've found on here to help get rid of some of that pesky carbon. I'll need new spark plugs correct? I looked at the European Marine website and couldn't determine which ones I should buy. What is the correct part number?

The carbon buildup can come just from the above quoted activity.

9. Member
    Are you using Quickleen in every tank of fuel?

Spark plug info in the FAQ, for your non-ProXS it is NGK IZFR5G - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post

Spark plug info in the FAQ, for your non-ProXS it is NGK IZFR5G - Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

^^^^ There ya go!

11. Member
    I have used it, but not religiously, which is going to change and I'll start using the "cocktail" Don recommends. I know the NGK IZFRG5 is what I need, but on their website I couldn't find it listed that way. I'd like to purchase it from Don and give him my business that is why I asked. Thank you SilverFox579.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You can drop Rhonda an email, OR on the website, use Mercury Part# 889597Q (specify 6)

13. Member
    Thanks Don! Emailed Rhonda.

14. Member
    See Don got you squared away, Rhonda is awesome!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Member
    Absolutely! I sent her the email, she responded with an invoice right away, I paid and once the part arrives she said it'll ship the same day.

See Don got you squared away, Rhonda is awesome!