Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I finally was able to get the boat out and go fish, and measured the trailer. The back measured 12-1/2" from the bottom to the ground, while the front measured 17". Which makes that a 1.07° angle.
    I think this shouldn't be a problem should it? Also on the way to the ramp which was about 20 miles away it towed pretty rough, but on the way back it seemed to be a bit smoother, so the flat spot on the tires could be part of the problem for sure. I think I do need new shocks though still.

phoenix.jpg
    2016 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS

Yeah flat spotted tires from sitting or just out of round (the way they are made "Premium Carlisle") SUCK!

If my boat is going to sit much over a month I get the tires off the ground. Makes my 40 mile trip to the lake much better. Yeah it can be a pain but I hate vibration. A lot of times a tire will start to vibrate before it fails. If its always vibrating you'll never notice the warning.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    love your boat Jack!

Your measures look acceptable. I will measure my rear and front tommorrow.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Member
    Check air shocks and the related compressor. I had them fail on a 2008 Tahoe LTZ

5. Member
    The compressor does come on and it levels when I hook the boat it. It is very loud when it pumps it up, not sure if it is supposed to be so loud, maybe someone can let me know.
    I had my auto tech briefly check, and he said the magna ride was not locked up, but still it might not be working properly. He suggested just to change out to regular shocks and he could by-pass the magna ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    Yeah flat spotted tires from sitting or just out of round (the way they are made "Premium Carlisle") SUCK!

If my boat is going to sit much over a month I get the tires off the ground. Makes my 40 mile trip to the lake much better. Yeah it can be a pain but I hate vibration. A lot of times a tire will start to vibrate before it fails. If its always vibrating you'll never notice the warning.
    Just a trick I pick up from a car group, over inflate your tires by 10 psi to help alleviate flat spots then just adjust during pre trip inspection.
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

7. Member
    my measures are roughly 13.7 in the rear and 16.5 up front. The base of my ball is 17 5/8ths. I'm making an assumption that my 818 trailer is the same as the 618 which I used to own. Looking at your picure, you are a bit more angled then I am. But I have towed the 818 with another vehicle that likely would raise the front to 17 and change and did not have any issue.

So I feel you are a bit too angled from optimal but I don't think it is the cause of problems.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Quote Originally Posted by 61Woody View Post
    Just a trick I pick up from a car group, over inflate your tires by 10 psi to help alleviate flat spots then just adjust during pre trip inspection.
    Helps but still has a flat spot.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

9. Member
    Thanks for all the help and replies good folks!

10. Member
    You what to get it right. Weight on the ball is important.

11. Scraps
    I disagree. Some are bumper centered but far more are just below. That being said the front of the trailer frame should be slightly high. TOO High and the trailer brakes won't work well or as smoothly as they should and will be bounce more. Too low and tend to sway more than they should. Has been my experience.
    I'm fairly certain this is how I shredded my tongue absorber on a new trailer Made an 8hr drive home with a hitch that had the tongue a little too high. It sure did pop and klang a lot while stopping. Getting that trailer almost level is more important than it may seem.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I'm fairly certain this is how I shredded my tongue absorber on a new trailer Made an 8hr drive home with a hitch that had the tongue a little too high. It sure did pop and klang a lot while stopping. Getting that trailer almost level is more important than it may seem.
    "Key word" Slightly higher

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

You should start by leveling the trailer tongue off of the vehicle. Then measure from the ground to the top if the hitch. What ever that measurement is is the height you want the ball on the tow vehicle to be. Then adjust the hitch to that drop or rise.
    I have noticed at times that my towing ride seems rough, only to find out that the boat was not tight against the bow stop. Rough on the way to the lake, correctly load to come home and it then rides smooth.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    I tow a Z520C with a 2017 2WD Tahoe. Great tow vehicle and no issues.

Good luck in getting your issue cleared up.

15. Scraps
    "Key word" Slightly higher
    Bad enough Stevie wonder could have spotted it.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    It does stay cinched down tight always. Sounds like I am going to need to go to a 10" drop hitch to get it closer to level. That was my original measurement, but it just seemed like way to much, and I had forgot this vehicle had the air ride that pumped it back up when I bought the 8", I was allowing for it to drop a little.

Still I am pretty sure the major problem is the Tahoe and not the trailer. Hopefully soon I can get those shocks replaced.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12