Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Genuine thoughts on insurance companies

What are your thoughts on insurance companies, both big and small. What are some experiences you’ve had?
    Last edited by Stratos622; 04-21-2024 at 10:34 AM.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    People always try to find the cheapest but it’s more about getting what you pay for with a good agent. I’ve been lucky and like the company I have
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    People always try to find the cheapest but it’s more about getting what you pay for with a good agent. I’ve been lucky and like the company I have
    Agreed. Service is a priority at times

4. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    It used to be all about the agent but I’m noticing it so much anymore.

Dale Sinclair original

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    True. But unfortunatly you don't always know how your going to be treated by the company or the agent or an adjuster untill you file a claim regardless of what you paid. I've been thru the mill with claims not my fault involving other people's companies & a couple of my own companies due to other party being under or uninsured. A couple of companies mentioned previously by others in other threads as being so great are at the top of my list of who to avoid due to previous dealings. Sucks finding out who's bad the hard way. On a brighter note, I have had a couple of satisfactory experiences without drama & stay with those companies.

6. Member
    My genuine thoughts are greed and hate.

7. Member
    I have had insurance for over 50 years. I used it once and had to fight to get them to fix it. I can’t stand them.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    My genuine thoughts are greed and hate.

agree

and they waste tons of money on stupid commercials, but raise our rates, then cry about “increased claims”.

9. Member
    I just shopped various carriers for a new2me truck I purchased recently. I have State Farm for everything but boat. State Farm very recently raised their rates. Neighbor whom I purchased truck from was paying $676 for 6 month's. We are roughly same age with zero tickets and he too has State Farm. I am now quoted $755 for 6 month's.

I shopped various companies and none could touch what I am paying... Always compare apples to apples. Some say they will save you money but of course, coverage is not nearly as strong.

Lastly, I never see any type of pay-back for not using insurance. It would be nice if I saw some sort of discount for as long as I have been with them and haven't needed to use them for anything, thankfully.

10. Member
    Great service and good rates for mine.

<------------------ THIS! Al does not have sufficient bandwidth for me to give you all of the details of my numerous problem with State Farm after I hit a deer on Oct. 17 with our new Outback...it is still not repaired...they refused to total it even though all of the airbags deployed and they refused to extend my rental. The document that I prepared for my attorney was 35 double spaced typed pages long.

My body shop will no longer do any repairs if the car is insured by State Farm or Allstate. He says that it is simply not worth his time, the numerous headaches, and endless phone calls to get them to pay legitimate claims in a timely manner. He told me the same thing that my brother (a retired attorney) said..."People complain about attorneys and used car salesmen being crooked. But, they don't hold a candle to the thieves who run insurance companies."

My motto: "The quality of an insurance company is not how based on how they collect a premium, but on how they pay a claim."
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

12. Member
    Organized criminal activity is what I think about insurance!

13. Fishing is a Passion
    I have been with the same carrier for 40 years the agent has all my business. The agent has nothing to do with the claims side, underwriting side or rate side. Can he put a good word in, of course. Does the carrier have to listen, no. Insurance is a big business and we are the pawns. Shopping based on price will never end once you start. On another note, I was on the claims side for 35 years. If the policy pays for the claim, the claim will be paid. Will the insurance company try to settle at the lowest price point, of course. There are not many small insurance carriers any more. Can you go without insurance, probably, but pretty stupid. And yes 40 years with the same carrier earns you mega bonus points
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

14. Member
    Organized crime organizations that spend enough money lobbying to make sure they get their money. And you never have a chance.

Ever see how many insurance comissioners in Louisiana ultimately end up in jail? It's kind of a tradition lol.

15. Member
    Legalized mandated theft. But you gotta have it.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

16. Member
    Pretty much the same as gasoline. It's hard to do without, and when the price goes up, little you can do except pay it.

17. Member
    Total scam, I wished they didn't exist.

18. Member
    Everyone hates insurance until you need it

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    It used to be all about the agent but I’m noticing it so much anymore.
    Same agent for closed to 40 years and he and his family will tell you they really can't do much of anything anymore.

What makes is suck to me it it really has nothing to do with your actual risk (maybe a small portion) but more about how much they paid out. It's claim sharing and that sucks!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam378 View Post
    Everyone hates insurance until you need it
    Yep, right there with cops and lawyers. No one likes them until they need those services.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast