Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Bingo. Your going to see in the next couple years more and more of a change in the ranks as Yamaha makes a big push to overtake merc as the dominant outboard on the trail . Comes straight from several Yamaha pro Staffers.
    They make better motors so that's no surprise. Too bad you can't get a new Triton with a Yamaha. If I was buying new It wouldn't be anything with a Mercury on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    That's been the rumor for the last few years. I agree that they are a great boat.
    agreed, I was suprised that DC didn'tmove to Ikon with JW. I suspect maybe still under a contract, but expect when it expires he'll move over. MDJ has been in Ranger forever, so don't see him changing, nor AA who seems to be pretty happy with Basscat.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    They make better motors so that's no surprise. Too bad you can't get a new Triton with a Yamaha. If I was buying new It wouldn't be anything with a Mercury on the back.
    agreed white river sell more boats if let people have a yamaha option

4. Member
    Darn I don’t see one Stratos ?

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    Darn I don’t see one Stratos ?
    lol

6. Member
    It’s surprising how some people equate the numbers of pros in particular boat brands with popularity or quality/performance, when sponsorship is the main factor. Even if pros chose their boats strictly on what they believed to be “the best,” being a good judge of boating equipment or having strong mechanical knowledge is not an absolute requirement on the pro tours. Having a boat/engine sponsor who provides spare parts, plus a service trailer nearby, means that most pros can get along just fine with average or less than average boating knowledge. Time on the water obviously helps if you *want* to learn, but when I fished BASS events, I was very surprised at the lack of attention some of the pros had for their boats. [Note: KVD was an obvious exception. His Nitro was known to be significantly tuned for performance. Dudley was in the opposite camp, known to be that guy who knew and cared nothing for his equipment.]

7. Member
    Old news. People think rangers are slow. Mine will do 70 and that’s slow. Be real

8. Member
    And it looked about like 20 of them were running The Leash on their outboard. Suzuki , Yamaha and Mercury.

9. Member
    Very interesting for sure! I am a big fan of my 21 Triton 189 TrX. Love seeing Matt Arey in that Angler's Choice Marine Ranger though!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    It’s surprising how some people equate the numbers of pros in particular boat brands with popularity or quality/performance, when sponsorship is the main factor. Even if pros chose their boats strictly on what they believed to be “the best,” being a good judge of boating equipment or having strong mechanical knowledge is not an absolute requirement on the pro tours. Having a boat/engine sponsor who provides spare parts, plus a service trailer nearby, means that most pros can get along just fine with average or less than average boating knowledge. Time on the water obviously helps if you *want* to learn, but when I fished BASS events, I was very surprised at the lack of attention some of the pros had for their boats. [Note: KVD was an obvious exception. His Nitro was known to be significantly tuned for performance. Dudley was in the opposite camp, known to be that guy who knew and cared nothing for his equipment.]
    Being honest, boat is probably one of the least important factor in a pros success. They all have similar 20-21 foot boats and slight performance or storage differences aren’t changing any results.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    WOW, I did not look at this that way, However, I think you may be on to something. My question is why??? Triton has been an amazing boat for many years. I understand they have been some major changes over the past years. But that has not changed (MUCH) the dependability on the Triton. I am also seeing the outboard motor change. You are seeing Suzuki making a Hugh push in MLF. I am currently in a Nitro because of the price. I can see Nitro turning the price market in the very near future. Everything is getting more and more expensive!!!!!! With that being said, https://www.anglerschoicemarine.com/ is having some amazing price cuts for this spring.

12. Member
    My 2014 520C will do 65mph, and it is 10years old. (Merc 250).

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjbh View Post
    My 2014 520C will do 65mph, and it is 10years old. (Merc 250).
    Sounds right for a Ranger.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfish View Post
    Agree, I would hate to see Triton go the way of Champion, Stratos, etc. I do not think that all of this consolidation is good for the buyer.
    but the champion elite hull is still current as charger elites
    maybe the legend hull will return but phoenix boats #1 for a reason

Phoenix is big around here especially with the BFLers. 1st place at Dale Hollow paid $4,610, but the Phoenix contingency program paid $7,000. If you mainly fish the BFLs, Phoenix makes sense. Ranger used to be the dominate BFL (Red Man) boat when they had the best BFL contingency program.

With no one here admitting they buy their boat because a particular prostaffer runs one, it makes it hard to figure why the boat companies bother with a prostaff program at all. Anglers playing musical chairs with boat brand sponsorships clouds over what boat the angler might really prefer. A lot of potential new bass boat buyers place build quality and longevity at the top of their list, maybe buying every 10 years. Those considerations can't be gauged from the prostaffers as their boat just needs to last a year.

mossie3,

That's a very good comparison. And those on the Bassmaster Elite Tour will be hard on product, as will those on the EQ anglers at the Bassmaster Opens, Tackle Warehouse, and to a lesser degree those Toyota Series anglers. Putting 20 or 30,000 miles on a trailer and a few hundred hours on your outboard, in 12 months, simply adds up to some use. That provides us a major opportunity to evaluate products for those companies involved. Thus, our field staff watches those developments, of issues, which arise during events. From motors to trolling motors, and more, we see issues that develop with more aggressive use.

I's a very good note on buyers. We know we have an average retail ownership cycle ranging between 8 and 15 years, in our studies. That is the family or casual buyer, keeping their boats years. We know our core owners are prone to hang onto them, and they expect their build components to last through that cycle. Resins, carpeting, fiberglass, vinyl, fuel lines, UV durability, parts quality, pump selection, hoses, wiring and more all play an intricate part in those decisions of long term buyers.

Those with annual buy methods, it doesn't matter as much to. Most of todays boats will last fine through a 12 to 24 month user period, with some maintenance. They may need screw tightening, tweaks, adjustments, transom bolts tightened, wiring improvements and more, though todays products should last tournament event users up to two years, without major needs. The causal recreational user might be able to go several years without a major need.

It's longer in the ownership cycle that construction processes, quality components and raw materials matter. Especially to those who finance long term, which we advise against. People still do finance long term, and those often are also value buyers. That's a different conversation.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    A lot of potential new bass boat buyers place build quality and longevity at the top of their list, maybe buying every 10 years. Those considerations can't be gauged from the prostaffers as their boat just needs to last a year.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 03-11-2024 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    If you want to see the difference in a ranger and a triton visit the ranger factory. I did a few years ago. Big difference
    Can we take this to mean the Triton's are not as well built?

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

I have a Triton and in the works of getting a new v8 4 stroke, so I hope Triton isn't going anywhere bc that will kill the value of my boat.

With that being said, Triton is only down to like 6 pro staff. Sooo hmmm. BCB has like 30. So unfortunately I think the writing is on the walls.

Again, this has been a rumor for along long time. The dealers around me keep selling Tritons to who knows.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

BCB has way less than 30 on the MLF and Bassmaster Tours.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTR21 View Post
    Can we take this to mean the Triton's are not as well built?
    Nothing (including boats) are as well built as they were 20 years ago. I marshaled at Sabine last June and was a judge at the Fork event this year and the guys I rode with each said if they had their choice they would have "X" brand in a 2000 - 2006 range model. That coming from guys who could have their current choice.
    Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast