Ping Synchronization Tips

There have been questions in several threads on this board regarding the use of ping synch, and how to achieve the best result with wiring and software choices. As many know, I won't opine on questions that I have not personally verified or actually tried myself. I had the opportunity to reach out to a Lowrance/Navico employee who answered my below questions, and wanted to share what I learned.

Background: I currently run dual AT2 units on my Ranger with the HDS-16 Pro and Ghost motor. I have tied the two blue wires on the power cable for each AT2 together to synch their pings, It is working great.

Question 1: If I tie the yellow wire from the Pro wire harness to my two blue wires from the AT2 units, and then go into the Pro settings menu and change the function of the yellow wire to sync the pings, will my 2D Sonar and StructureScan pings all be synchronized with the dual AT2 pings?

Answer 1: Yes! But only for the "host" unit. In other words, if you have more than one Pro on the bow, add only 1 Pro yellow wire to the blue AT2 wires to activate the ping synch function, only on that unit, and have your other transducers connected to that "host" unit. In my case I use a single Pro-16 on the bow (only one unit) and my Ghost nosecone is connected to that host unit. Wired like in my question, all sonars (2D and StructureScan) will ping synch with both my AT2 transducers.

Question 2: Can I tie the yellow wire from a console Pro with the yellow wire of the bow Pro, change the function of both in the settings menu to synch, and with two AT2 units' blue wires (all four wires together) will that synch all transducers?

The answer I got on this variation (which would also include connecting the yellow wires from 2 bow Pro units together) is that this will create issues which confuse the units especially when a transducer is pulled out of the water and the unit enters a search mode for the bottom. Units slow down and don't read corrctly, so was advised to NOT do this.

A third interesting point I learned is that some boat riggers (for whatever reason) are attaching blue wires from various power cables to ground; don't do this as it causes problems.

I will be changing my wiring to the answer for Question 1 (I will add my Pro unit's yellow wire to my two blue wires on my AT2 units, and change the power setting on my bow Pro to make the yellow wire function become ping synch.

Hope this helps.
    ciao,
    Marc

2. Member
    Any video of these in action on your YT page?

3. Member
    Not yet, and since I will be traveling for the next month it will be after April that I can post good videos on my channel. However, a new magazine article with photos will be out soon on WesternBass.com's online magazine (free to view) with a video. If I get a chance next week I will resize and post some photos here.
    ciao,
    Marc

4. Member
    Is that synchronize setting only available on the Pro units? I've never seen (or heard) of it before!

John

5. Member
    Since the AT2 is Eithernet and the 3D is ethernet does the base unit cover all ethernet devices beside whats plugged into the base unit?????

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hagins View Post
    Is that synchronize setting only available on the Pro units? I've never seen (or heard) of it before!
    Blue wires are part of the AT2 module power cable. Yellow wires are on all power cables. The ping sync availability is a new feature of Pro units.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. Member
    I can try and clarify some of this based on my experience with the products. Ping sync is available on HDS Pro units, the S3100 hub, will work with AT2, but will not work with older products such as 3D, Live, Carbon, Elite FS etc. To use it with a HDS Pro unit, it must be turned on under Power Control, which is under System-Settings. With the S3100, Ping Sync occurs automatically between the two channel on the hub and other Ping Sync capable units on the network and does not need to be "turned on", as is the case with AT2 as well. The connections are made using the yellow "wake up" wire on the HDS Pro and the blue wires on the AT2 and S3100 hub.

I have used all of these combined on a network and did not have any issues, but when I am using this type of system I am using stop sonar before I pull out any sonar of the water (trolling motor - I do this anyway) and I am turning off the power on the AT2 modules when moving or not in use. Additionally, any transducer I am not viewing I will stop sonar as there is no point them pinging if I am not using them. Generally as a rule when I start on the water, I start out with all types of sources "stopped" and then I will turn them on as needed, this generally helps keep things much cleaner with regards to sonar returns.

Lastly, for this to work each transducer must be connected to a "host" unit, whether it be a Pro unit, S3100 hub or AT2. Any transducer plugged into any other non Ping Sync capable units on the network will not be able to Ping Sync with the others on the network, but I can still use this technology to my benefit. An example of this would be on my boat my console MFD (HDS-12 Live with shoot thru hull transducer) where this transducer is really only use when running. So when I stop running, I will use stop sonar to stop the shoot thru from pinging and then "un-stop" the other transducers that are using Ping Sync on the other units on my network. So at this point I am now viewing transducers that are connected to sources that are capable of Ping Sync (Pro units and S3100 hub), as a result I will have nice sonar return without interference, even though I am viewing them on a unit that is not capable of Ping Sync.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    Since the AT2 is Eithernet and the 3D is ethernet does the base unit cover all ethernet devices beside whats plugged into the base unit?????
    My understandfing is that 3D StructureScan would NOT ping synch because it's box would not know how...but this part I can't verify at this time. But your Ghost nosecone would ping synch if plugged into the host Pro.

Ping Synch is a great feature for the HDS-Pro that Lowrance has failed (at this time) to market. I expect this will change shortly in their marketing since it is a feature not available on the competition.
    ciao,
    Marc

My Ghost Nosecone syncs with my AT2 currently, I am adding 2nd AT2 next week so of course will connect it as well.

I'm not sure about the 3100 - have looked at it but not sure if I really need/want it. But still a bit unclear on the multiple units controlling ping sync, ie if enabled on my HDS Pro and then also have a 3100 which has it enabled as well... will it cause issues? will they " fight each other" for ping sync control? Or will they just automatically play well together.

The scenario I imagine is my Pro controlling ping sync on two AT2 Modules and the Ghost Nose Cone, and a 3100 installed with HD2n1 or 3n1 on transom or jackplate primarly viewed at console on HDS Live units... will they all play well together? Or substitue a Pro at the console in place of the 3100, as mentioned above.

10. Member
    will the HDS pro sync feature also work with an active target 1 unit?