Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dwoods View Post
    Have you tried some removable loctite just a thought but seems a new unlock would stay
    No that's one thing I haven't tried yet. I'm been asking locals with Merc's if their nuts are backing off. So far I haven't found anyone that has ever even had their prop off. So they are no help either but they are quick to tell me their nut doesn't back off.

2. Member
    I've had mine off several times and I do check it for lose about every time I'm leaving the house because my 2 stroke has been loose before but I haven't found it loose yet on the 4 stroke and torque to 55 I'm running a bravo

3. Member
    I'll help you collect data on this issue and hopefully others will too. It only takes 2 minutes.

I'll torque the prop nut to 55, mark it with a sharpie, and report back.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

4. Member
    If it helps I don't have an issue and last season I was testing props and must have swapped out 3-4 with no issues.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Most of the newer HD hub kits contain the double-nut set now (1.25" shaft models).

Proper installation is as Pulseair2020 stated above: Thickest washer (first), thinnest (belleville) washer second, the then the mid-thickness. Install nut, pull down snug and then torque to 55 lbs/ft.

There would be no harm in torquing this to 65 lbs/ft, but even at the spec torque, the nut should not move in the short time span the OP says he was in gear. Shy of an explanation I would suggest trying a completely different hub kit.
    The "double-nut" statement may be premature as pertains to the SSR kits. As of this moment, I believe that only the HD/Solid Hub Kit has received the Double Nuts. That is under Part# 8M0183487 (Service Bulletin 2022-19 covered this).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    DLS. How are you making out with the loose prop nut? Did you solve this issue?

I just installed a brand new Mercury brand hub kit to 60 FT- lbs, the belleville washer is in the correct orientation per instructions, and I used a lot of blue lock tite. I marked it and will let you know if it loosens up at all.

prop hub.jpg
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 04-08-2024 at 02:53 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    DLS. How are you making out with the loose prop nut? Did you solve this issue?

I just installed a brand new Mercury brand hub kit to 60 FT- lbs, the belleville washer is in the correct orientation per instructions, and I used a lot of blue lock tite. I marked it and will let you know if it loosens up at all.

prop hub.jpg
    You need to re-mark that nut to the SHAFT (not to the washer). Washers MAY possibly move under some circumstances.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    You're so right Don.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

9. Member
    The single big washer/double nut system shown in the photo is new, each nut is to be torqued to 85 ft-lbs.

https://community.brunswick.com/area.../article/16541

I got one a few days ago from my dealer when I whined about the pressed-in type hub.

10. Member
    Where were you 3 weeks ago when I spent $145 on this crappy 710-8M0101603 one nut kit?! lol....

Your link says to still check the two nuts all the time and it says: "The new Prop Double Nut Kit (P/N 8M0179579)"

It also says it's for all "Mercury Racing outboard props" and you get it at a "Mercury racing" dealer. Is the double nut only for "R" motors?

Last edited by Another Distraction; 04-09-2024 at 05:21 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

11. Member
    I have a 300R, but my dealer doesn't specialize in racing products. He had the part. I have it on a Fury, I'm sure it's good for all Mercury props. And yeah, they say to still check the torque frequently. But now you have two nuts to check and tighten.

12. Member
    This is nuts....lol
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    This is nuts....lol
    We gotz nuts on the shelf. 8M0179579

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12