Lithium batteries and Yamaha SHO

Hey everyone! First time poster long time reader. Its time for me to replace batteries in my sled and thinking of joining in with everyone with lithiums for mainly weight savings and added power. First off my set up even though its not a "bass boat" the principles are very close to the same. I have a 2016 22' bluewave bay boat with 2016 yamaha 250 SHO. single 10ft blade pp. Garmin echomap 93sv(came with the boat). Humminbird Solix 15. Minn Kota riptide terrova 24v 80lb 60"shaft ipilot. 2 live wells with recircs that ive upgraded pumps and added venturi valves. VHF radio, and 4 speaker stereo system. Currently have 4 27 group deep cycle lead acids with 2- 2 bank NOCO chargers. 2 on a perko for main cranking/everything only running 1 at a time the other for back up. 2 others in series for my trolling motor with nothing else on them.

My main question is with the lithium starting batteries. Im hearing/seeing people are having alot of trouble with Yamaha engines shutting off because battery protection shutting the battery down? Can anyone explain this in dumb dumb terms to help me better understand this situation and has this situation been adressed? I see some people say they have issues with brand X but brand Y did fine. I really would like to upgrade but if there is going to be alot of headache then it has me hesitant. Im hearing of 2 brands consistantly working with Yamaha SHO engines, Ionic and Impulse. Appreciate any input and advice!

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    A True Dual Purpose Lithium Starting battery or lithium designed just for starting will work perfect on a Yamaha SHO, any of Starting the Batteries sold by BBC Board sponsors will work. and a few thousand BBC Members are running them
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    Where are you hearing/reading/seeing about Yamahas not playing nice with lithium starting batteries? Links please if you have them. Quite the contrary from what I have been reading.
    Last edited by yam911; 02-21-2024 at 02:22 PM.

4. Member
    Ive read alot on here and alot on hull truth. Thats why i came here asking. Main question/issue people had was engine shutting off while running. The general answer to that was the lithium battery was shutting off or going into protection mode for being over charged. Plus ive seen some bulletins from yamaha saying they only recommended AGM an not lithium. Thats why i cane here to ask and see what people had to say.

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Most of all that was before 2019 when there were only standard BMSs for deep cycle, the NEW Bms in a dual purpose are usually proprietary to that battery and are designed and programed to handle the overcharging without battery shutdown

I have a sold a many of the IONIC 125ah to the Guys on THT, TFF and BBC running proVs, Vmaxs and SHOs ,
    Last edited by DREWTICK; 02-21-2024 at 02:24 PM.
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistleemup View Post
    Ive read alot on here and alot on hull truth. Thats why i came here asking. Main question/issue people had was engine shutting off while running. The general answer to that was the lithium battery was shutting off or going into protection mode for being over charged. Plus ive seen some bulletins from yamaha saying they only recommended AGM an not lithium. Thats why i cane here to ask and see what people had to say.
    That explains it.

The Hull Truth is to truth as military music is to music.

7. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Ran my Ionic 125 Sunday and Monday with a 150 SHO with no problems. And ionic stands behind they’re product and honor they’re warranty. So far I’ve had a great experience with them.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 02-21-2024 at 04:46 PM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

8. Member
    Yea thats why i came here asking lol

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    Most of all that was before 2019 when there were only standard BMSs for deep cycle, the NEW Bms in a dual purpose are usually proprietary to that battery and are designed and programed to handle the overcharging without battery shutdown

I have a sold a many of the IONIC 125ah to the Guys on THT, TFF and BBC running proVs, Vmaxs and SHOs ,
    And for every guy on THT that successfully uses a lithium starting battery there are a hundred nattering nabobs of negativity over there that say what he is doing can't be done. Should not be done.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    And for every guy on THT that successfully uses a lithium starting battery there are a hundred nattering nabobs of negativity over there that say what he is doing can't be done. Should not be done.
    its the same old codgers that think boats should still be made from wood.

11. Member
    There is a bunch that say you can't but the rest just do it! Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

12. Member
    I have had Ionic 125ah cranking and 3 50ah for 36v TM on my rig since 2021 and about 160 hours with zero problems you mention.
    My 2014 SHO has not skipped a beat.

I love these batteries so much I recently installed a 48v kit in my golf cart, dropped over 350 lbs, the APP is the bomb, etc, etc, etc.

There is so much misinformation, haters, and trolls out there………

My advice is reach out to Andy at DREWTICK and he will set you up correctly.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

13. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I have had Ionic 125ah cranking and 3 50ah for 36v TM on my rig since 2021 and about 160 hours with zero problems you mention.
    My 2014 SHO has not skipped a beat.

I love these batteries so much I recently installed a 48v kit in my golf cart, dropped over 350 lbs, the APP is the bomb, etc, etc, etc.

There is so much misinformation, haters, and trolls out there………

My advice is reach out to Andy at DREWTICK and he will set you up correctly.
    How many of the 48 volt Ionic's did you put in your cart? I put 2 of the Ionics in my cart and wish I had done 3.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    How many of the 48 volt Ionic's did you put in your cart? I put 2 of the Ionics in my cart and wish I had done 3.
    Two which so far has worked just fine.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Our newer All Purpose Lithium products don't have any issue with Mercury or Yamaha

Always here to help customers

205-965-8436

Bill