Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    We all learned “STUFF”. It was a productive thread! JMO Bob
    Yes it was!
    21 Lund 1775 Impact XS 21 Merc 115 Pro XS

3. Member
    Definitely learned quite a lot.

4. Member
    Mtatua, thanks for a very well written explanation of what happened and for following up on this thread with so much information. Really a great resource for many things battery and charger related

5. Member
    My question is, would two Lithium batteries wired together in parallel be "happier" then two Lithium batteries wired together in series? For any reasons at all? Just saying.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    My question is, would two Lithium batteries wired together in parallel be "happier" then two Lithium batteries wired together in series? For any reasons at all? Just saying.
    This seems more like a new topic to start up. I doubt you'll get much traction here at the end of this long thread.

7. Member
    Cells within a battery are at times wired in parallel and/or in series. Most battery makers generally say OK to X number of their batteries being connected in series and/or parallel.

Series connections are the main way to increasing voltages.

8. Member
    Yes, a single 24v battery is better than 2 12v in series. With the BMS being able to control cell balance in the 24v battery same as a single 36v battery. BUT with a good charger that has each battery hooked up separately should "see" each series "ed" battery individually and be able to keep them balanced. But as with multiple items you are increasing your chance of failure. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    BUT with a good charger that has each battery hooked up separately should "see" each series "ed" battery individually and be able to keep them balanced.
    What is the relationship of the charger to the BMS with resect to keeping cells balanced?

In the case of a battery being connected to an alternator, is the BMS less able to keep the cells balanced?

10. Member
    yeah i replaced just about all of my wiring and terminals on my 2014 tracker. they used thhn and aluminum automotive terminals on mine. you never use aluminum for any kind of connection on a boat especially the B-.

its very hard to retrofit anything on these boats.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Yes, a single 24v battery is better than 2 12v in series. With the BMS being able to control cell balance in the 24v battery same as a single 36v battery. BUT with a good charger that has each battery hooked up separately should "see" each series "ed" battery individually and be able to keep them balanced. But as with multiple items you are increasing your chance of failure. CJ
    Ya I was thinking that. Two 24v batteries is what I just got. They take up less room to. I got one 24v Epoch single bank charger of 15amps also. I'll give it a try.

IMG_20240411_190708709.jpg

12. Member
    Split the case, put in a new bms, and plastic weld the case back closed if there is a bms failure. Going with the exact same bms will likely be a plug and play operation.

And something seems odd that the charger would shut off at 13ish volts regardless of how many amps it was sending.
    Last edited by JoshKeller; 04-18-2024 at 10:54 AM.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123