NEW 2.930 UPDATE TROUBLE

NEW UPDATE TROUBLE 2.930 helix gen4 , decided to do my updates on my heliix gen 4 SI and my gen 4 helix di , I have the power cord that plug into the wall outlet and never had any issues going this route being I,ve done updates before, So using a 32 sd card formatted and nothing else on the card but the download for the DI okay here we go turn unit on , restore defaults place card in unit and unit finds the update and update begins as normal . Unit shuts off and turns back on goes thru the screen openings and stops to where it says press exit to beging . Press exit and Unit shuts off . turn back on goes thru openings and stops to where it says press exit and it turns off. NEXT ONE to update on a different card with the SI helix update only on card , Restore default place card in the SI unit and it starts the update goes thru the process and shuts down comes back on to press exit and do it Works and check for the update good to go ,HURRAY NEXT I have another Helix gen 4 SI to update on a different SD card formatted , Turn Unit on restore defaults , place card in goes thru the updating , shuts down comes back on till it comes up press exit to continue and shuts off like the other one the DI , what the F**K sorry for my French but now I have a Helix 15 gen 4 SI to update not going to do it till I find out whats going on with this I CAN;T FIGURE Not only sending back but when I do they get rid of the screen savers that are $50.00 each Very upset HELP , HELP GUESS I'LL BE ON THE PHONE WITH HUMMINBIRD FIRST THING

2. Member
    I talked to Humminbird Tech support, Monday morning and she was confused like me (don't take much to confuse me) and said sounds like you did it the way your suppose to, and out of the 3 you got one to work and sounds like not the first time you did updates . Will anyway they are confused and can't figure what it can be and what's wrong (o boy) so said would talk to some of the other techs and get back to me ASAP . so
    It's Tues Morning and no word Yet stay tuned

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Here are a couple of thoughts... from a non-Helix guy:

1) Are you still getting a good solid 12+ volts from your AC adapter?

2) Did you try rebooting without the cards installed?

3) Did you try disconnecting power from the unit for a few minutes... not just power off but physically disconnect from power?

That's all that comes to mind at this point.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    1--power is good
    2. Yes took the cards out , turned power back on without cards , comes to press exit to continue and shuts down
    3. will have to give that a try.

thanks for some help insite

One more thing to try, export your waypoint library to a memory card and do Restore Nav Directories. Check for proper operation with no GPS data in the unit's memory.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    got a problem trying to do that , when you power up the unit the screen goes thur the process which you see nothing else and it says press exit to continue press the exit button unit shuts off, turn back on when comes to that again press any button and unit shuts down

7. Member
    no shutting down comes up just turns black

8. Member
    Can you press the Menu option during startup, before you get to the press exit screen? like you were going to demo mode

9. Member
    Once humminbird shows up on the screen touch any button you press it shuts down both units the same way . But just heard from Humminbird and emailing me something to try , and if that doesn't work going to have to send in Humm

10. Member
    I think the power supply is the issue.
    Console: [Helix 10 MSI G3N>AS GPS HS>2x XM 9 HW MSI T>XNT HW T]:[Helix 10 G4N>XNT HW T]:[AS ETH 5PXG]
    Front: [Helix 10G3N>XM 9 HW MSI>Mega360 Universal];[Helix 12 G2N]:[MK Ulterra 60" i-pilot Link]:[AS ETH 5PXG]

11. Member
    Got a call and email with instructions on what to do from Humminbird (her Name Robin) But anyway it worked all Units are working and SLYdoggie was about the closest to the fix so Keep this in mind if it happens to anybody else Power up your unit and let it go till it hits the spot that it stops , do not shut down but unplug unit from power (PULL THE POWER PLUG) then let sit for a minute or two, plug back in and power up HURRAY FIXED IT
    I wondered if it was the power pack I used but they said no probley not since one unit updated the same way. But who knows and the Helix 15 updated perfectly like was suppose to. Thanks to all for suggestions

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pajoe329 View Post
    Got a call and email with instructions on what to do from Humminbird (her Name Robin) But anyway it worked all Units are working and SLYdoggie was about the closest to the fix so Keep this in mind if it happens to anybody else Power up your unit and let it go till it hits the spot that it stops , do not shut down but unplug unit from power (PULL THE POWER PLUG) then let sit for a minute or two, plug back in and power up HURRAY FIXED IT
    I wondered if it was the power pack I used but they said no probley not since one unit updated the same way. But who knows and the Helix 15 updated perfectly like was suppose to. Thanks to all for suggestions
    Excellent news! I guess I learned something in my 42 years in IT. Powering off is not the same as cutting power. There are residual "things" that can hang around in a power off scenario, which can be cleared by totally cutting the power and waiting a minute or two.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    Pajoe, what is Steves prize?
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

14. Member
    If he comes my way fishing give him a PM on what to use and some spots to fish .

15. Member
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

16. Member
    Isn't this the same as turning off the main power switch?

I have a switch in my Skeeter that shuts off ALL the electronics. M360, ML, TL, Helix's, ethernet, anything else. Everything goes off with that switch.

It's solved more than one problem. I think some people don't understand powering off EVERYTHING. One of the benefits of self installing your toys.

17. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Isn't this the same as turning off the main power switch?

I have a switch in my Skeeter that shuts off ALL the electronics. M360, ML, TL, Helix's, ethernet, anything else. Everything goes off with that switch.

It's solved more than one problem. I think some people don't understand powering off EVERYTHING. One of the benefits of self installing your toys.
    Yes, if you have a main power switch, then that does the same thing. The key is to totally cut the power coming into the unit... not just powering it off.