Lightbulb 2005 Pantera bilge access improvements.

I know this is kind of a non typical question, but the bilge access on the 2005 classic does not appear super easy to work in. Is there a safe (structural) way to maybe add access lids on both sides of the existing center lid? I am narrowing down my purchase choices between the a classic and another make. I am really wanting to go Basscat , but the bilge access is of one of the only few negatives for the Pantera. I’m not getting any younger and am looking for ways to make the purchase rank a notch higher on the scale. I actually love working on my own stuff but it looks like adding a 36v system for the trolling motor and other maintenance might be a pain in the stern. Thanks. I welcome any thoughts and suggestions regarding the Pantera.

2. Member
    I would say no, there isn't a good way to add additional access panels to flank either side of the bilge access. That to me is the biggest downfall of the Pantera and Sabre lineup. The new P Classic has a much improved bilge access but that doesn't sound like the boat you are looking at.

I have a 2008 P2 and I loathe any time I have to go into the bilge. That said, I haven't found a project yet that I couldn't complete, just not as easy as some other boats. You want to see difficult access you should look at trying to change a bilge pump on any lund, alumacraft, or tracker deep v boat. They all have those tiny 6" access ports and you gotta be shoulder deep to even touch anything, like the damn boat was built around the pumps, no thought given to serviceability.

3. Member
    Feel your pain, same here with 2004 Classic. When I recarpeted, I replaced the piano hinge with half hinges and it improved my arm access, as well as sight. Never thought of cutting next to it, adding another doorway, but think it would deter from integrity of hull.

4. Member
    Unless BcB responds with positive input, it sounds like the access challenge has to be lived with. Anyone running a 36v trolling motor and did the third battery addition themself? How challenging was it? The 2005 classic I’m considering is 4 hours away so I can’t assess it myself til I make a trip. Not able to find pictures on the web. Weather is gonna be pretty sketchy for the next couple weeks so I probably will wait so I can do an on the water test and inspection. Thanks

5. Member
    Many build a tray over the actual sump galley!
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

6. Member
    Can I assume that it helps to place the 3rd battery in a more accessible position? If anyone is willing to send a couple well lit pictures of the bilge area it would be greatly appreciated.

7. Member
    Sent you a pm as well, but here is a pic of my bilge in a 2008 P2 the day I brought it home. It was a bit dirty in there, but this shows two batteries on the starboard side and one on the port side with the original charger mounted on the transom. Second photo is the port side with one battery mounted in there, no auxiliary fuel tank so there is a bunch of space.

Right after those photos were taken, I pulled all the batteries out, cleaned it up a good bit, and installed a group 31 AGM in a tray on the starboard side along with a Noco Genius 10x3 charger. I made my own aluminum battery tray and installed two Amped Outdoors 80ah lithiums in the port side and there is room for more in there the way I have them configured. I don't have a photo right now, but I will see if I can get my girlfriend to run out and snap one without the batteries in there, I pulled them out for winter, will really be able to see what you are dealing with for space and configuration in there. If she can't shoot one this morning, I will go out there myself this afternoon and get a photo for you.

8. Member
    I was able to sweet talk my girlfriend and she went out to shoot a photo of the bilge without the batteries in there... Looks like I still need to get in and do some more cleaning, but fishing is much more funner than cleaning.

As you can see, without the auxiliary fuel tank in there, there is plenty of space for a third battery on the port side (bottom of the pic). If needed you could do two batteries on each side and mount the charger on the transom like it came from the factory, or you could build a bridge plate and put the charger on that. If it were me doing a 36v system from scratch, I would do a 36v 50ah battery, or possibly two depending on the current you fish and mount them on the port side similar to how I have them mounted.