Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do your interests come and go?

I am curious if there are other like me that see their interests come and go. For about the last year I have even thought much about my boat or fishing for that matter. But now that winter is breaking I am starting to get the itch. I have a bunch to do to get ready. I'd like to get my mud motor back on my job and do some river catfishing and camping this summer.

What are some of your interests that come and go?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

2. Member
    I live in MO, and I think the winter time is beneficial for re-stoking my desire to get back out once spring comes back around. In my club, turnout for the early tournemants are usually better than those in the later part of the year- likely the "fishing fatigue" kicking in.

Come and Go: Fishing, Shooting, Reloading
    Thinking of getting out of Rod Wrapping. I have more than enough Rods and these sausage fingers with less dextrality, just have much harder time handling the thread.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

4. Member
    Yep i have a no interest in fishing for over a year. I may be getting a little of the itch back, have been messing with boat lately. Same with golf , didnt play for 5--6 yrs . Played a few times last fall.
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Member
    Way to many interests and way to short on time to enjoy them.

6. Member
    Hunting and reloading......years ago if there would have been a hammer season for deer I would have chased them around with a ball peen. Now I see 25-40 a day around my house and have no interest in shooting one.....Haven't been in 7 years now. Same for reloading.....I loved it and liked the challenge of figuring the best load out for a particular gun. Now I just cringe at the thought of sitting down and doing it.

7. Member
    Not really come and go but my body slows me down at some of my interests.My family never wavers. Haven’t lost interest in fishing and hunting but have slowed down a bunch from years gone by. Still love to mess with older vehicles too but get less done nowadays.

8. Member
    Interest typically changes with the seasons of life. EX: get a group of geezers gathered and see how long it takes to start talking about grandkids, which medicines you take, and comparing aches and pains.

9. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Changing seasons are a good thing and my interests and activities change with each one. Keeps me from getting burned out or board with either.

Fishing in the spring, summer, and fall. Poker in the winter. It’s been that way for many years.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Yeah mine ebb and flow.

About 15 years ago I jumped in to fly fishing and now only pick up conventional gear 6-8 days a year for club tournaments.

I haven’t seriously turkey hunted in probably 7 years but for some reason last week the switch flipped and I’m rabidly preparing to get in the woods this spring.

12. Member
    Not really, or at least not coming and going. I did shotgun target shooting for 15 years or so but when I quit, I never went back. Made my mind up that there was just too much time spent standing around. All of my other hobbies, of which I have several, I’ve kept for my entire life. Only physical inability to do something like swinging a golf club would cause me to quit. I do, however, know a lot of guys who wax and wane constantly. Buy a new bass boat, then sell it 18 months later and quit fishing, only to take it up again—rinse and repeat. I guess I do everything in sufficient moderation not to allow a hobby to take over my life…or my budget…to the extent that I am forced to give it up. I also don’t do things on a whim; if I’m interested enough to do it, I get seriously involved, but not too seriously. And most hobbies [other than reading or watching movies] require a certain amount of fiscal commitment. I’m too money conscious to just quit on something I’ve invested in.

13. Member
    Very much so.

In relation to fishing, when I was a teen i thought tournament bass fishing was cool but my heart was all about fly fishing for trout and panfish. Then about 10th grade I got more into bass fishing than anything else when my parents bought a camp on Lake Ontario. That’s all I ever wanted to do up to a few years ago. My interest in primarily bass has dwindled over the past couple years, I relate it to all the drama that came with running a local club. I went back to focusing on fly fishing, I think just deep down it’s what makes me the most happy. however every winter I get the itch and all I want to do is dump the boat in and go bass fishing.

in other aspects of life, i got heavily into skiing and golf in high school/college then once i started working full time I stopped all of it, even sold my clubs and thought I’d never touch it again.. I switched jobs last summer which got me back into golf and now I have my wife going with me too. I just went skiing for the first time in 11years last week and planning on another trip next week. It’s another activity my wife wants to start up as well
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

14. Member
    Fishing will always be my first interest

Yes I have thought about this. I was big time into deer hunting and doing food plots and managing land also duck hunting and driving to Arkansas and Oklahoma to chase ducks with my dog. Once he died my intention in ducks dropped off to zero. I’ll still deer hunt as a guest about 4-5 times a year.
    I prefer fishing with my grandkids in private ponds and trying to give them experience and my time.
    I laughed out loud about the post above about old farts talking about medication LOL!!
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

Hardly got out at all last year due to other stuff going on, maybe 4-5 times so I got the itch now. As for the fishing itself, I have an absolute blast at times chasing all species with ultralight gear.
    Ranting incoherently

17. Member
    I’ve never lost the passion for fishing but lots of things (job, family obligations, chores, and bad weather) often keep me from going. Once our winter ends, which is alternately cold/warm and humid with a good bit of rain, I’m ready to hit the water but I’ve also got things to do around the house that I couldn’t get to during all the rain and cold of winter. I get most of my fishing in from mid-spring through summer. During the doldrums of winter, to pass the time, I reorganize tackle and build model aircraft and ships.

18. Member
    I don't want to say my interest in fishing ever faded, but for a minute I was not fishing tournaments, did not have a boat, and did not many friends with boats. I still loved to get out, but it was difficult. In 2017 I bought my first boat, and if anything the itch has gotten worse. When I first had my boat, my season was ice out until October. Now I'm finding ways to push the season as long as I can. Last year my first day on the water was February 19, and my last day was December 31. This year I already got the boat out. I've also started targeting perch and walleye when the bite is hot, so I have more variety, which helps to keep my interest.

From middle school to the end of college I played the guitar and really loved it. Life got busier and I put them down. I still own them and fully anticipate getting back into it one day. I kind of dread that because it's another expensive hobby...

19. Member
    My fishing/boating interest has fallen way off past few years due to not having enough time. Demand from work has been crazy. Can only hope l will have enough interest to pick it back up when l retire in a couple of years.

20. Member
    I wouldn’t say they ever completely go. I like to ski in the winter months. So I think a lot less about finishing from November till about now. Then fishing creeps its way back into the fore front. They cycle repeats it self. I also like to play pool, darts, turkey hunt, so those things are mixed in by season too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast