Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    If you are using standalone rather than cranking, then (in my opinion) Bluetooth monitoring with an App is even more important... Unless you just go way overkill on the Amp Hours to be sure you never run out (which obviously has a cost to it).

Having the Bluetooth monitoring on a battery allows you to see exactly where the battery stands on percent used and remaining voltage at any point. If you extend your fishing day, and start getting close on the battery percentage/voltage, then you can start taking measures to use less power so you can keep fishing... Like reducing the screen brightness, turning off the pinging on transducers which aren't being used at any point in time, and etc. If you don't have Bluetooth monitoring, then your units will keep 12+ volts until they just suddenly stop. At that point, your day is over.
    just add the voltage overlay to the corner of your graph screen. No need for an app that adds $200 to the cost of the battery. Or you can add a blue tooth monitor device from Amazon for $20-$30.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass_boat_boy View Post
    just add the voltage overlay to the corner of your graph screen. No need for an app that adds $200 to the cost of the battery. Or you can add a blue tooth monitor device from Amazon for $20-$30.
    Voltage tells you literally nothing with a lithium battery its percentage that's important . Hence why having a app is important. You will still be a touch over 12 volts on a lithium when it only has 10% remaining. A cheap bluetooth monitoring device off amazon reading voltage and transferring that to percentage can not compare to one thats internally reading of the BMS for the most accurate reading. Get what ya pay for

Does anyone make a nema compatable lithium battery monitor? Would be nice to have it as an overlay vs having to check phone/app...

We need an app on our bluetooth head units to check the condition of the battery.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Does anyone make a nema compatable lithium battery monitor? Would be nice to have it as an overlay vs having to check phone/app...
    Lithium Pros has a line of nmea batteries $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Lithium Pros has a line of nmea batteries $$$$$
    Dang, those are spendy lol. I see several NEMA battery monitoring solutions meant more for sailing/yatching solutions, so I'm sure there are some for Lithium also. Still, the few I saw were all several hundred dollars or more. It's odd how some nema devices are pretty inexpensive (thermometer, fuel management, Heading Sensor, etc etc) and others are several hundred or more (Jackplate position, battery monitor, etc).

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    You are more in line with what I am seeing though. Justin’s is what seems low. He has 4 graphs and AT only pulling 8amps.

Hopefully I can get to the lake tomorrow or Monday and check out each device separately.
    Not really he is running 9" screens. I am running 12"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Not really he is running 9" screens. I am running 12"

He said he is running 2 - gen2 12’s and 2 - pro 12’s along with AT2.

I’ll check back in later, gonna see what mine pull today.

Yes, four 12" units.

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justinp61 View Post
    We need an app on our bluetooth head units to check the condition of the battery.
    Well, there is one case where you do have a battery monitoring utility on a Humminbird unit. All of the new Minn Kota models include the networking capability previously only included in the "Link" models. With this connection to your Humminbird Helix/Solix/Apex, there is now a battery monitor for the Trolling motor battery/batteries. It uses the Ethernet connection, and not Bluetooth, so it is doing its own calculation of Voltage and Battery Percentage. This means that it isn't reliant on a Bluetooth module in the battery/batteries. You go through a setup process to define your exact battery type/number(s)/capacity and it supports all the battery types from lead acid to Lithium.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

I was on the lake today, this is with everything on.

IMG_9014resize.jpg

12. Member
    I was on the lake today, this is with everything on.

IMG_9014resize.jpg

crazy! My gen2 12 pulls 2 amps, my Carbon 12 w/AT pulled 3, Garmin 106 w/LS pulled 3. With NMEA and a little “here and there extra draw, I was pulling a tad over 9amps for 5 devices (12”, 12”, AT, 10”, LS). I know this thing was pulling 10 amps last month when I tried it all. Actually, I think I had 2 Carbon 12’s running then and had the gen2 out. I might put my 16 Carbon back on next time and see how bad it really gets, I know it’s a power sucking pig.

I need to check one of my connections, it might be my culprit and thinking about running a single 8g to a fuse box, instead of having 5 separate 10g wires running from the back. I’m a little stumped how my gen2 is pulling more than the Carbon. Maybe due to age or something.

crazy! My gen2 12 pulls 2 amps, my Carbon 12 w/AT pulled 3, Garmin 106 w/LS pulled 3. With NMEA and a little “here and there extra draw, I was pulling a tad over 9amps for 5 devices (12”, 12”, AT, 10”, LS). I know this thing was pulling 10 amps last month when I tried it all. Actually, I think I had 2 Carbon 12’s running then and had the gen2 out. I might put my 16 Carbon back on next time and see how bad it really gets, I know it’s a power sucking pig.

I need to check one of my connections, it might be my culprit and thinking about running a single 8g to a fuse box, instead of having 5 separate 10g wires running from the back. I’m a little stumped how my gen2 is pulling more than the Carbon. Maybe due to age or something.
    Gravity! I blame anything I can't explain on gravity.

I have a new Live ordered that'll allow me to move one of the Pros from the bow to the console to replace one of the Gen 2's so I can network the console to the bow. I'll check the draw again to see if there is any difference.

14. Member
    2 Live 12's, 2 10 Pro's, AT2, NMEA network, draws 7.4 amps

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    2 Live 12's, 2 10 Pro's, AT2, NMEA network, draws 7.4 amps

How are you getting the amps used? Starting to wonder if my app is less than accurate, I should have looked at the watts used instead, but they were bouncing all over the place.

16. Member
    How are you getting the amps used? Starting to wonder if my app is less than accurate, I should have looked at the watts used instead, but they were bouncing all over the place.
    From the bluetooth app on the lithium battery.

I want to say - 4 HDS 12's, Active Target, SS3D Module, couple of GoPros, Sat Radio playing was right at 10-11amps, and it jumped up to 14amps when my livewell pumps kick in. numbers from the Ionic app. But I'll check again when I'm on the water.

Have you been through you wiring to check for corrosion or loose connections?

19. Member
    Have you been through you wiring to check for corrosion or loose connections?

Not yet, everything is pretty new, so it would have to be a bad crimp.

Which is possible, I was pretty much laying on my head while making a few of them.

Mikeky, i meant which battery (brand) app? Thanks
    Last edited by Bass in the grass; 02-21-2024 at 03:10 PM.

20. Member
    Not yet, everything is pretty new, so it would have to be a bad crimp.

Mikeky, i meant which battery (brand) app?
    Ionic 125 amp battery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12