EFI Fuel Pressure Test

serial #OT666332, 2004 250 EFI. Started the spring motor maintenance today. Fuel pressure is good, engine off, key on, hits 45 PSI instantly and drops down to 41 when the fuel pump times out. How long should the pressure hold steady before it starts the normal slow drop in pressure with key off? Cleared the air out of the test gauge line so no air in the test gauge or line but the pressure drops about one or two PSI every minute. Normal, leave it alone, or should I look further into the pressure regulator or dribbling injector?

2. Member
    sounds very normal too me
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We normally only look at 15/30/60 seconds after key-off. As long as you don't see significant pressure loss by 60 seconds it's likely fine.

Every few years it's a good idea to pull the pressure regulator up (real easy on these) and clean the screen/void below screen of any debris trapped there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks, I'll do that.