How do you pick Jerkbait colors? Primarily in the Vision 110 series

I’ve never been able to completely understand picking a Jerkbait color. There are matte colors, fully transparent colors, partial transparency, and more. How do I choose in circumstances? I understand choosing matte colors on cloudy days and clear colors on clearer bodies of water, but what about lower visibility water and when do you want flash or not? Also,when is white a the best player? Just bought a GLXS Cherry Spawn Vision 110 since I’ve always heard about people living by white. I’m also open to your favorite colors in the 110, especially for up north since I’m traveling up there in a few months.

2. Member
    In that order:
    GG Perch
    Northern Secret
    Baby Kingyo

3. Member
    I break down my color choices for all artificial lures into three basic categories:
    Light, Bright, and Dark

Light: subtle presence in high visibility conditions.
    Transparent or translucent lures with or without colored highlights (i.e. light back or belly, modest metal-flake or metallic/chartreuse highlights). Lightly textured, matte or guanium finishes.
    Examples of Megabass colors:
    Pro Blue / Pro Blue OB (orange belly, Blue II)
    Mat Shad
    Ito Natural
    Elegy Bone
    Killer Kawaguchi
    Chrystal Shad
    Northern Secret
    SB OB Shad

Bright: strong presence in all but lowest visibility conditions.
    Metallic or opaque lures that may be monochromatic or patterned. Typical colors include white, pink, chartreuse, yellow, red, orange, and hot green, among others. Heavy metal-flake can also create a similar effect. Glossy finishes can amplify the effects of color or metal-flake.
    M Shad
    Ito HT Wakasagi
    Ito Clear Laker
    GP Pro Perch
    GP Sexy Shad
    GP Chartreuse Back
    PM Twilight Chartreuse Back
    Any of the Wakin or Wagin finishes
    Stain Reaction
    Kinkuro
    Mat Tiger

Dark: strong silhouette in nearly all visibility conditions.
    Opaque lures that may be monochromatic or patterned. Typical colors include black, dark tones of brown, green, red, blue, or purple.
    Deadly Black Shad
    Mat Perch
    Any of the Gori color schemes
    Black Viper

There are, of course, combinations of color and finish that can have characteristics of two or even all three of the broad categories noted above.

The information above is based upon my personal fishing experiences, over multiple decades, in many different circumstances. No doubt, other anglers will have different opinions, based upon their own experiences. I am interested to see what other responses the original post prompts.
    Some relevant links:
    https://www.halfpastfirstcast.com/bl...fidence-colors

https://bassdozerstore.blogspot.com/...it-colors.html

There are many other articles and videos, perhaps an overwhelming number, on this topic.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mybigfish812 View Post
    I break down my color choices for all artificial lures into three basic categories:
    Light, Bright, and Dark

Light: subtle presence in high visibility conditions.
    Transparent or translucent lures with or without colored highlights (i.e. light back or belly, modest metal-flake or metallic/chartreuse highlights). Lightly textured, matte or guanium finishes.
    Pro Blue / Pro Blue OB (orange belly, Blue II)
    Mat Shad
    Ito Natural
    Elegy Bone
    Killer Kawaguchi
    Chrystal Shad
    Northern Secret
    SB OB Shad

Bright: strong presence in all but lowest visibility conditions.
    Metallic or opaque lures that may be monochromatic or patterned. Typical colors include white, pink, chartreuse, yellow, red, orange, and hot green, among others. Heavy metal-flake can also create a similar effect. Glossy finishes can amplify the effects of color or metal-flake.
    M Shad
    Ito HT Wakasagi
    Ito Clear Laker
    GP Pro Perch
    GP Sexy Shad
    GP Chartreuse Back
    PM Twilight Chartreuse Back
    Any of the Wakin or Wagin finishes
    Stain Reaction
    Kinkuro
    Mat Tiger

Dark: strong silhouette in nearly all visibility conditions.
    Opaque lures that may be monochromatic or patterned. Typical colors include black, dark tones of brown, green, red, blue, or purple.
    Deadly Black Shad
    Mat Perch
    Any of the Gori color schemes
    Black Viper

There are, of course, combinations of color and finish that can have characteristics of two or even all three of the broad categories noted above.

The information above is based upon my personal fishing experiences, over multiple decades, in many different circumstances. No doubt, other anglers will have different opinions, based upon their own experiences. I am interested to see what other responses the original post prompts.
    Some relevant links:
    https://www.halfpastfirstcast.com/bl...fidence-colors

https://bassdozerstore.blogspot.com/...it-colors.html

There are many other articles and videos, perhaps an overwhelming number, on this topic.
    In the jerkbaits, what does like GP, GG, HT and etc mean?

5. Member
    GP means Guanium Phantom - guanium means fish scale pattern on a very shiny base
    GG means Guanium Ghost - fish scale on a completely transparent base
    HT means Half Tone

I don't know if you can say that here, but a takle shop in the west has a very nice video on that subject named Breaking Down Megabass colors.

6. Member
    It is a very good video
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    Yes, the video mentioned does provide a good break-down.
    The second link above provides access to a document that has some in-depth descriptions as well as some close up photos of the various color schemes.

8. Member
    I have used traditionally accepted colors for clear or stained water on bright or overcast days and have done well but many times a clown colored jerk bait will get hit when nothing else is working.

I'm not a huge 110 thrower, so take this for what it's worth: In my opinion, the giant swatch of colors out there is entirely unnecessary, even for some of the most picky fish. You definitely need some variety, but the majority of that is done to catch fishermen. This is especially true for largemouth, but even for smallmouth, I think there are basically two main considerations: transparency, and flash. If water is dirtier, you want something more opaque/less transparent. If water is clearer, you want more transparent. If they're on small bait, transparent helps there too. If the sun is shining, flash is more important. If it's cloudy, it's less important.

Past that, I have seen times where something super loud can matter. Think pink, chartreuse, orange, something like that (and I would throw clown into that mix). Smallmouth are notorious for this one!

Matte white is my go-to in dirtier water or lower light conditions. Something like an opaque Table Rock shad works too. For clearer water, I like a transparent Table Rock shad type color (e.g., MB Northern Secret or Elegy Bone, Jackall Secret Shad II) or something otherwise super natural (e.g., MB Pro Blue or Crystal Shad, Jackall RT Minnow or Holo Minnow). I do have a couple that are straight chrome which can be good in sunny conditions with low water visibility, or even just sunny conditions generally at times. And I have a few that are just LOUD - bright pink, bright chartreuse, clown, stuff like that. After a while, you end up with confidence colors that fit different broad conditions, and can really trim it down from there.

When I'm on a jerkbait bite, I'll always start with a color based on what conditions in line with the above. It's rare that I find myself needing to change. Lots of times color doesn't matter at all, especially with largemouth.

Then there are the times they don't read the book! It's super cliche, but the only choice you have then is listen to what they're saying. You'll see them tracking the bait without committing, peeling off right at the boat, just nipping or swatting at it, getting only the back hook, etc. That's when it's time to switch it up. Don't wait, either! Time and time again I've kept throwing something figuring the next one will eat it, only to see the next 10 do the same thing. Again, it's very often the smallmouth that will do this nonsense. Then when you finally make the right change, inevitably you won't even see the next fish because it t-boned it 2 twitches into your retrieve. They let you know right away when you get it right!

One other thing that took me getting my butt kicked on the Mississippi too many times to count before I learned it: Don't believe people who say you need clear water to throw a jerkbait. I've caught ungodly amounts of bass on jerkbaits in water with 4-6" of visibility or even less, and in all sorts of weather conditions to boot.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

10. Member
    I find that where jerk-baits shine is the snap-pause retrieve which gives them an erratic, darting back & forth action. When it comes to surface jerkbaits, splashing, ripples and the wake left behind rule. Jerkbaits don't have to be solid; some that I use are made of soft plastic such as the 5" Kut tail worm and fluke. When it comes to color, I can fish a clear plastic Zara Spook and catch just as many fish as ones with color or a color pattern. The same goes for a Kut Tail worm rigged on a 1/32 oz jig where off-white does fine all of the time.

Does color add to a jerkbait's or any lure's effectiveness? I don't find it does overall or did over the many decades I've caught fish with them. But is it possible that some colors may inhibit the strike? Again, I wouldn't know in that I use colors interchangeably with no thought as to why one works better or worse than others. I have my favorites and stick with them.

Simple is as simple does in my book.
    Last edited by SPOONMINNOW; 02-24-2024 at 08:42 AM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    GP means Guanium Phantom - guanium means fish scale pattern on a very shiny base
    GG means Guanium Ghost - fish scale on a completely transparent base
    HT means Half Tone

I don't know if you can say that here, but a takle shop in the west has a very nice video on that subject named Breaking Down Megabass colors.
    just wonder y why that tackle shop can’t be mentioned lol
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

12. Member
    Maybe because they aren’t a sponsor,idk
    Red Sox in 6!

13. Member
    Just to be clear, I was wondering IF you could name the tackle shop. Some sites do not permit it.

I don't think there's a rule against it...I've seen lots of things like that posted and never seen negative reactions. I think the only way we'd run into a situation that raises eyebrows would be if the place were using BBC as a platform to promote its business without ponying up the cost to be an official sponsor, and that's clearly not what would be going on here.

I'm not familiar with the video being referenced, but I'd be willing to bet it's from The Hookup Tackle. They sell all kinds of JDM stuff.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

15. Member

16. Member
    It's a great video from THUT and I often refer to it when I am re-organizing my MB jerkbaits prior to a day on the water.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

17. Member
    My $0.02.

Fished today here in western Missouri. Water temp 44 - 48. 2 - 3 ft. visibility. Fished 4 hours, caught 9.

Three jerk bait rods. All with Stunna 112+1.

1 - Table Rock Shad. My go to color, period. Over a season, I'll catch 60 - 80% of my jerk bait fish on TRS.

2 - What ever Berkley calls MB Elegy Bone. My number 2 color. It just catches them for me, especially in clear water.

3- A gold flashy color. Can't find a box to see what Berkley calls it. Should have been throwing Clown, normally am, but this looked right in the water, but no bites on it.

I know all the JB studs say color is critical, and I have, by actual count, 102 jerk baits in the Skeeter, of every color, but if I can't catch them on one of these colors, I probably won't.

18. Member
    Like the one post above. Light, bright, and dark. That is what catches fish. All the fancy colors are to catch fishermen.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

19. Member
    My favorite lake has shad, perch and bluegill. I bought one in each color and bought each in a separate size.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm not a huge 110 thrower, so take this for what it's worth: In my opinion, the giant swatch of colors out there is entirely unnecessary, even for some of the most picky fish. You definitely need some variety, but the majority of that is done to catch fishermen. This is especially true for largemouth, but even for smallmouth, I think there are basically two main considerations: transparency, and flash. If water is dirtier, you want something more opaque/less transparent. If water is clearer, you want more transparent. If they're on small bait, transparent helps there too. If the sun is shining, flash is more important. If it's cloudy, it's less important.

Past that, I have seen times where something super loud can matter. Think pink, chartreuse, orange, something like that (and I would throw clown into that mix). Smallmouth are notorious for this one!

Matte white is my go-to in dirtier water or lower light conditions. Something like an opaque Table Rock shad works too. For clearer water, I like a transparent Table Rock shad type color (e.g., MB Northern Secret or Elegy Bone, Jackall Secret Shad II) or something otherwise super natural (e.g., MB Pro Blue or Crystal Shad, Jackall RT Minnow or Holo Minnow). I do have a couple that are straight chrome which can be good in sunny conditions with low water visibility, or even just sunny conditions generally at times. And I have a few that are just LOUD - bright pink, bright chartreuse, clown, stuff like that. After a while, you end up with confidence colors that fit different broad conditions, and can really trim it down from there.

When I'm on a jerkbait bite, I'll always start with a color based on what conditions in line with the above. It's rare that I find myself needing to change. Lots of times color doesn't matter at all, especially with largemouth.

Then there are the times they don't read the book! It's super cliche, but the only choice you have then is listen to what they're saying. You'll see them tracking the bait without committing, peeling off right at the boat, just nipping or swatting at it, getting only the back hook, etc. That's when it's time to switch it up. Don't wait, either! Time and time again I've kept throwing something figuring the next one will eat it, only to see the next 10 do the same thing. Again, it's very often the smallmouth that will do this nonsense. Then when you finally make the right change, inevitably you won't even see the next fish because it t-boned it 2 twitches into your retrieve. They let you know right away when you get it right!

One other thing that took me getting my butt kicked on the Mississippi too many times to count before I learned it: Don't believe people who say you need clear water to throw a jerkbait. I've caught ungodly amounts of bass on jerkbaits in water with 4-6" of visibility or even less, and in all sorts of weather conditions to boot.
    Great post Drew! Fully agree.