Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2016 SHO…. Lithium or AGM

I’m switching over to lithium but I’m debating leaving my motor on AGM. Has anyone had any issues? Any reasons not too to buy it on a lithium?

2. Member
    I have a ‘17 SHO 250 and have been running an Ionic 125a for two and a half years now, no issues whatsoever.

Call Hydro-tec. They told me Yami says NO Lithiums for the starting, because of voltage spikes up to 18 volts. Can take out the computer and is not warranty. They told me AGM for starting. I trust them my 225hpdi stage one has been great.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

4. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    I’ll be putting a Ionic on my 150 SHO this week. And will try her out this weekend.
    Last edited by GOTTA BIG SACK; 02-13-2024 at 06:52 AM.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Check out our All Purpose line developed for cranking ad well. Backed with a full 10 year warranty and 15% off BBC specials

feel free to contact me with questions

205-965-8436

Bill

6. Member
    Ionic 125ah - no problem at all. Their battery management system works well.

7. Member
    Ionic 125aH for cranking ,no issues at all

Same, Ionic 125ah for cranking/electronics, 2016 SHO 225 for over a year with no issues.

9. Member
    2015 SHO 250 with an Impulse Lithium 120AH for cranking. I ran it all season without any issues. Not only does it crank the engine it also powers my 4-12" Live/Pro units, NEMA network, Live Target, Power Poles, Lovewell pumps, etc without an issue. Even on long practice days and when I often am sitting off shore on a school for 6-8 hours without starting!

10. Member
    I'm thinking about going all lithiums..well, maybe I'm more than just thinking about it...got 4 Ionic lithiums on the way...(3)12v-50ah and (1)12v-125ah to install in my 2023 ZXR19. Can't say I'm 100% sold on them yet. Hearing great things, so I'm gonna give it a try.

11. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Ran my Ionic 125ah on my 150 SHO sunday and monday. Did not charge it Sunday night and we crappie fished both days. Never ran the motor Sunday and went to one spot monday and stayed for three hours before we had to leave. Ran 2-12's, a 9 and active target and livewells till we got home and had 79% left.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

12. Member
    +1 on Ionic!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    I have a ‘17 SHO 250 and have been running an Ionic 125a for two and a half years now, no issues whatsoever.
    Did you go with lithiums for your trolling motor as well, if so, did you lose any top end speed?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Verkeith View Post
    Did you go with lithiums for your trolling motor as well, if so, did you lose any top end speed?
    Went all in with the Ionics. 3 50's and their charger to replace the dual pro. Boat is a Phoenix 920 Pro XP. Afterwards it floated a little higher on the transom. Hole shot is way quicker. I did lose a little bow lift and top end then sent my prop off to Mark Croxton. Amazing work that he does, now its a mph or two faster than it ever was.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Went all in with the Ionics. 3 50's and their charger to replace the dual pro. Boat is a Phoenix 920 Pro XP. Afterwards it floated a little higher on the transom. Hole shot is way quicker. I did lose a little bow lift and top end then sent my prop off to Mark Croxton. Amazing work that he does, now its a mph or two faster than it ever was.
    Okay, I'm hearing some boats lose top end speed and others don't, some guys even report they gained 2-3 mph

16. Member
    No way would I switch to lithium for starting. Stay with AGM. U will lose speed switching to lithium. I’ve had a Zxr 21 and zxr20 both with lithiums. Wish I just would have stayed with AGM’s.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofsightpdr View Post
    No way would I switch to lithium for starting. Stay with AGM. U will lose speed switching to lithium. I’ve had a Zxr 21 and zxr20 both with lithiums. Wish I just would have stayed with AGM’s.
    Oh my! How much speed did you lose? Is that the only reason why you didn't like the lithiums?

18. Member
    Only benefits i see with lithiums is hole shot and the longevity with charging. Speed loss depends on boats. skeeter and phoenix will definitely lose some speed. Also litmus can really mess up electronics. Minn kota says that lithiums will fry boards on talons and they highly recommend not connecting to them. I help out the local install shop from time to time and we have seen lithiums mess with trolling motors and other electronics. Definitely stay away from tracker batteries. Knock on wood I haven’t had any trouble with mine or seen any problems. They are pro guides. My Skeeter’s had better bow lift,speed and ride with AGM’s. Holeshot and mid range acceleration is better with the lithiums. Only thing I would use a lithium for would be a dedicated electronics battery.
    Last edited by Outofsightpdr; 02-28-2024 at 08:35 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outofsightpdr View Post
    Only benefits i see with lithiums is hole shot and the longevity with charging. Speed loss depends on boats. skeeter and phoenix will definitely lose some speed. Also litmus can really mess up electronics. Minn kota says that lithiums will fry boards on talons and they highly recommend not connecting to them. I help out the local install shop from time to time and we have seen lithiums mess with trolling motors and other electronics. Definitely stay away from tracker batteries. Knock on would I haven’t had any trouble with mine or seen any problems. They are pro guides. My Skeeter’s had better bow lift,speed and ride with AGM’s. Holeshot and mid range acceleration is better with the lithiums. Only thing I would use a lithium for would be a dedicated electronics battery.
    Thanks for your reply.
    The manual for Minn Kota Ultrex Quest actually recommends lithium batteries for optimum performance. There are so many people with different results when it comes to running all lithiums....lost top end speed, didn't lose any speed, gain speed...definitely something one would have to make a decision is weigh all options...advantages vs disadvantages. Thanks again!

20. Member
    One thing I will say. You don’t need more than 75amp hour for trolling motor batteries. The new motors being brushless use a lot less power. I have 3 75 amp hours and I rarely use half the power in Them
    in a full day of fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast