Need heavy toad bait

I would like to fish the 4.5 Ribbit with just an oversized EWG weightless with an XH Luxxe Efreet B74XH-F...this rod likes at least 3/4 oz to load and cast well. Would this Ribbit setup be 3/4 or more, of not what other topwater toad bait would be recommended?

I just weighed the four different toads I have . Gambler cane toad, big bite tour toad, Stanley ribbit, and zoom horny toad. Weighed with a gammy G finesse tour grade ewg style hook in 4/0. The horny toad came in the heaviest at .53oz the cane toad was close and the other 2 were a little shy of 1/2 oz. You could go up a size in the hook or go to a stouter gauge hook and gain a little but I don’t think it’s gonna gonna get you to the 3/4 if that’s the goal. Little bigger hook and a small 1/8 bullet weight up front I’d think would be the ticket.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    I just weighed the four different toads I have . Gambler cane toad, big bite tour toad, Stanley ribbit, and zoom horny toad. Weighed with a gammy G finesse tour grade ewg style hook in 4/0. The horny toad came in the heaviest at .53oz the cane toad was close and the other 2 were a little shy of 1/2 oz. You could go up a size in the hook or go to a stouter gauge hook and gain a little but I don’t think it’s gonna gonna get you to the 3/4 if that’s the goal. Little bigger hook and a small 1/8 bullet weight up front I’d think would be the ticket.
    Thank you and much appreciated. Out of curiosity, is that the 4.5" Ribbit you weighed? Also, the reason I want to use this rod is that it allows me to use heavier co-poly or mono as the taper and backbone still allows for great hooksets even at a bit of distance, while braid would really overpower most single hooks and I would only use it in heavy slop with a larger sized frog.

^^ I will double check on the ribbit size tonight

You could gain some weight by wrapping the hook shank with lead wire and sealing the wrap with nail polish. These are wide gap VMC jig hooks with center pin spring locks installed. It adds weight without bulk. You could always go with a thicker wire as well to increase the weight.

IMG_3867.jpeg
    Ranting incoherently

6. Member
    Well done! I have used clamp-on weights with jig hooks and centering pins to make similar, but the lead wire wrap is more streamlined.

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    You could gain some weight by wrapping the hook shank with lead wire and sealing the wrap with nail polish. These are wide gap VMC jig hooks with center pin spring locks installed. It adds weight without bulk. You could always go with a thicker wire as well to increase the weight.

IMG_3867.jpeg

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post

IMG_3867.jpeg
    Me likey! Thanks brother.

4in ribbits to the tape measure ; they have a few years on them, and I see now they offer a 3.5 and a 4.5.
    Last edited by white gambler; 02-14-2024 at 08:39 PM.

9. Member
    4in rabbits to the tape measure ; they have a few years on them, and I see now they offer a 3.5 and a 4.5.
    Perfect...I'm gonna do the 4.5" and the lead wrapped wide gaps with center pin spring locks.

I’d think that should get you close to the 3/4 oz

11. Member
    I’d think that should get you close to the 3/4 oz
    Yeppers, I agree.

12. Member
    Van, have you tried the Keitech noisy flapper with a 6/0 owner twistlock? My favorite, nice and heavy plus it's durable!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalsh24 View Post
    Van, have you tried the Keitech noisy flapper with a 6/0 owner twistlock? My favorite, nice and heavy plus it's durable!
    Dang, cool beans I'll check it out. Thanks.