How are you supposed to…

Index spark plugs when 3 face the exact wrong direction? I’ve moved them around but 3 will not cooperate. It’s not as if there’s an adjustment.
    2B362086 17’ ProXs 250 2 stroke
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

2. Member
    I could be very incorrect but, I don't believe plugs need to be indexed on a Merc.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

Buy more plugs

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Member
    Why are you trying to index them? They do not need to be indexed. Torque to 20lbs and your done.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Indexing plugs is an evinrude thing....

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Thank you!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    yep ^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    "It's a RUDE Thing". That's why it's not working on your Merc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Lol, Don, it don't hurt to index, u will need about three sets to get close, seems to help mine a bit
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We actually did do a considerable amount of testing with that. Biggest thing is to make sure the arm doesn't face the Direct Injector (45 degrees either side). Any other angle was fine.

The latest of the 200 ProXS Optimax engines were especially unhappy if you got that arm into the plume area (since the pistons and DI's don't match).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    We actually did do a considerable amount of testing with that. Biggest thing is to make sure the arm doesn't face the Direct Injector (45 degrees either side). Any other angle was fine.

The latest of the 200 ProXS Optimax engines were especially unhappy if you got that arm into the plume area (since the pistons and DI's don't match).
    when you say facing, I take that to mean where the ground electrode is attached to the plug, since it would shroud the spark, deflecting fuel molecules away. Think I may have been seeing signs of this on the deposits of the porcelain. Have noticed a few motors that would have an occasional skip at idle in them like a misfire would cause, such a minor thing that I have not pursued in depth as to the cause.
    I have 200 non xs here right now that does this.
    I might start a new post and peruse for educational purposes.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would actually draw a line on the porcelain to indicate where the arm attached to the plug base. The line would preferably not point toward the direct injector (any other orientation ok).

What I have found is that if the spark plug is consistently torqued with a TORQUE WRENCH to 20 lbs/ft, I very, VERY seldom even give this a moment of concern. Even that pesky 200 ProXS (later group) seemed to idle decent when the plugs are torqued with a wrench.

I believe the interference was more related to the returning vapor and flame propagation AFTER the atomized fuel hit the "dish target" on the crown of the piston. This would also explain why that 200 ProXS group is SO finicky: It breaks most of the Optimax "cardinal rules" by intermixing standard Optimax and ProXS-line components in the same engine.