Thread: Jig weed guards

Jig weed guards

So have some jigs that I want to tie new skirts on, but kind of a pain in the butt to work around the weedguard. Anyone know best way to remove the guard and be able to glue a new one in place?
    Fish have fins, they swim

Probably try drilling them out but I’ve never tried it. Stick it in a vice would be the safest way. Keep fingers out of harms way.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Just grab the weed guard low near the lead with needle nose pliers and roll the pliers.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Remove? No.

I have tried to thread tie jigs with the weedguard kind of bent out of the way and it isn't very efficient. Caleb Kuphall has a pretty decent short video tying a jig with thread on a vice with the weedguard installed. Not my cup of tea.

With that said, if I am adding a skirt to a jig with a weedguard, I am using the rubber collars and a skirt collar tool to assemble the jig and then once installed, I tie the skirt with wire for a more durable connection. No thread tying with a weedguard for me in that circumstance.

I do prefer thread tied skirts and do that before I glue weedguards in.

Try 20-22 gauge wire 2 wraps instead of thread. That is how I built thousands of jigs with weedguards in.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Try 20-22 gauge wire 2 wraps instead of thread. That is how I built thousands of jigs with weedguards in.
    Same here.

7. Member
    I was going to remove weedguards since they are unpainted heads. So knowing I will likely melt them when doing the powder paint I was just going to remove to make it easier and install new guards.
    Fish have fins, they swim

8. Member
    Do you use copper wire or annealed stainless steel wire?

I slip a short piece of aquarium tubing over the guard and then just be careful and work around it when I make the wire wraps

Quote Originally Posted by Mybigfish812 View Post

I use red 26 gauge floral wire. I like the red flash it has...maybe looks like gills or a wound. It comes in a lot of different colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mybigfish812 View Post
    Copper craft wire. Comes in many colors. Floral wire rusts.

Copper craft wire. Comes in many colors. Floral wire rusts.
    I suppose it could rust but in three years of using it I can find NO rust on any of my jigs. Maybe the red coating protects them or maybe I get them hung up before they rust. Anyway, it isn't a problem.

I will check on copper and see if it has what I want as far as color goes.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

You might be using different floral wire than I have tried in the past. The stuff I tried rusted bad.

13. Member
    I use upholstery thread 135m Coats & Clark over 40 years now I tie all my jigs with weed guards glued in place.
    Building and Fishing custom jigs
    Since 1977
    12.9 2006
    12.5 1998
    Favorite Lakes
    Eastman Lake
    Hensley Lake

14. Member
    I tie all my jigs with braid and it really isn't that difficult. However I do tie the skirt to the hook with those little twisty things that come on bread sacks to keep the skirt out of my way.

You might be using different floral wire than I have tried in the past. The stuff I tried rusted bad.
    I probably don't get them wet often enough.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    Drill a 1/16 hole in the top of a spent 22 shell. Take a piece of spinnerbait wire about 2 inches long and put a 90 degree bend on both ends about 1/4” long. Stick the shell casing down over the weedguard, stick one end of the spinnerbait wire in the 1/16 hole and the other end through the eye of the hook. It will bend and hold the guard out of the way to tie on the skirt.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter67 View Post
    I use upholstery thread 135m Coats & Clark over 40 years now I tie all my jigs with weed guards glued in place.
    This what I use also from a post you made years ago. Best material by far in my opinion for tying jigs.