Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aluminum 20-21 footer

I know this is a broad question, but I would like opinions on the various brands of aluminum boats.
    Craig Peters
    ALX Rods
    2003 Triton TR-19
    HDS Lives, HDS Carbon,
    Active Target 2
    Ghost
    Helix, M360

2. Member
    Xperess X21, Avid, or Vexus Is what I would go with, as long as it has a Yamaha SHO on the back of it.

Gator Trax also.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Xperess X21, Avid, or Vexus Is what I would go with, as long as it has a Yamaha SHO on the back of it.
    I like the Xpress X21 also. They are tanks. Motor doesn't matter. And make sure you max out the HP.

Avid or Vexus no thank you.

5. Member
    Motor most certainly does matter, a Yamaha SHO you can flash to a 300hp and not void the warranty. Can't flash a Mercury at all.

6. Member
    A lot depends on what you're looking for, budget, how it's going to be used. Gonna get fanboy responses without details of what you actually need.
    2023 Targa V-19 Combo
    Mercury 200hp XS XL Four stroke
    Garmin Force TM-36v Ionic Lithium Batteries
    Best Speed to date: 51.2mph
    BEST/WORST: Storage / Compartment moisture

Caymas CX20/ CX21 (made by the same dude who founded Triton)
    - Xpress X20/ X21
    - GatorTrax

As big a rig as you are wanting to go, those are the only ones I would look at with a strong emphasis on Gatortrax because they historically overbuild their hulls.
    - 2020 Bass Tracker Classic XL - SOLD
    - 2024 Lowe Stinger 178
    Mercury 115HP ProXS CT
    Vance 6" hydraulic jack plate
    24P 3 blade Ballistic XHS XL propeller
    NGK Ruthenium plugs
    Garmin Force troller
    Garmin 126SV/93SV/73SV Livescope/ dual GT54 transducers
    DD26 motor toter
    IG: extremeboating

8. Member
    Motor most certainly does matter, a Yamaha SHO you can flash to a 300hp and not void the warranty. Can't flash a Mercury at all.
    I see you post this frequently…. Do you really believe Yamaha is going to be cool with you remapping your ecu? Your literally modifying the software, how could that not void the warranty?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos81 View Post
    I see you post this frequently…. Do you really believe Yamaha is going to be cool with you remapping your ecu? Your literally modifying the software, how could that not void the warranty?
    Yes, as long as you don't go beyond the factory rev limiter, get ahold of Hydro Tech Marine, they are a Yamaha dealer and they will tell you the same thing. They flash many of the new motors they sell. Yamaha actually wants their customers to enjoy their products, they aren't a bunch of tyrants like Mercury who even stops companies from flashing motors that are long out of the warranty period.
    Last edited by bassfisher444; 02-12-2024 at 05:42 PM.

10. Member
    Yes, as long as you don't go beyond the factory rev limiter, get ahold of Hydro Tech Marine, they are a Yamaha dealer and they will tell you the same thing. They flash many of the new motors they sell. Yamaha actually wants their customers to enjoy their products, they aren't a bunch of tyrants like Mercury who even stops companies from flashing motors that are long out of the warranty period.
    So what your saying is, you dont really know. You suggest I reach out to the company thats flashing the ECU to see if Yamaha will warranty it.

I see you have a 2012 Mercury, you literally just bought? I have owned several Yamahas, I had one very problematic HPDI that blew 3x’s….. each time they reviewed the ECU report extremely diligently. Your regional Yamaha tech will be involved if a head blows, and ECU mapping related or not, I assure you he wont say “no worries because we want our customers to enjoy their product”.

I can also tell you, albeit 2nd hand, horror stories on hydrotech phased motors exploding with minimal support from Nixa

No motor manufacturer is going to willingly allow you to alter their proprietary software that alters the motor performance, by a 3rd party, and when it breaks, willingly pay to fix it for you…. There is fiction, and there is reality.

So how many Yamahas have you had flashed, and what warranty items needed to be fixed post flashing you can honestly vouch for???

11. Member
    So what your saying is, you dont really know. You suggest I reach out to the company thats flashing the ECU to see if Yamaha will warranty it.

I see you have a 2012 Mercury, you literally just bought? I have owned several Yamahas, I had one very problematic HPDI that blew 3x’s….. each time they reviewed the ECU report extremely diligently. Your regional Yamaha tech will be involved if a head blows, and ECU mapping related or not, I assure you he wont say “no worries because we want our customers to enjoy their product”.

I can also tell you, albeit 2nd hand, horror stories on hydrotech phased motors exploding with minimal support from Nixa

No motor manufacturer is going to willingly allow you to alter their proprietary software that alters the motor performance, by a 3rd party, and when it breaks, willingly pay to fix it for you…. There is fiction, and there is reality.

So how many Yamahas have you had flashed, and what warranty items needed to be fixed post flashing you can honestly vouch for???
    Yes I do know this, I have spoken with the people at Hydro Tech several times. That is why I suggested that you do the same instead of taking my word for it. I wouldn't own an HPDI I have seen little to none with over 400 hours on them that haven't been rebuilt, and eveyone I have talked to who had one said they wouldn't have another, except for one of my coworkers, he has a blown 250 HPDI that he is having rebuilt. The 2.6 HPDI isn't quite as bad as the 3.3 was. The Optimax on the other hand is a great motor once they got the issues from the early years fixed. My 2010 had close to 1500 hours on the meter and was still running great, I have seen several more with 800-1000 hours on them that have never had any major issues. The majority of owners I know who had or currently have one have good things to say about them unlike the HPDI. For a 4 stroke however I would definitely go with an SHO over a Mercury, Yamaha has been building the SHO far longer than Mercury has been building the Pro XS 4 stroke, they have all the problems worked out by now and better quality control, not to mention better performance since you can flash them unlike Mercury. Bottom line is 2 stroke go with Mercury (although the Yamaha OX66 is a great motor), 4 stroke go with the SHO.

12. Member
    I have a Crestliner Bass Hawk 1850, and I’m not sure I’d ever go back to a boat that doesn’t have this deeper V hull, unless I was exclusively fishing very small bodies of water.

If you need a 20ft, I’d look at the Lund Pro V Bass 2075.

13. Member
    Look into the new Ranger 208P it is rated for 250HP

14. Member
    Yes I do know this, I have spoken with the people at Hydro Tech several times. That is why I suggested that you do the same instead of taking my word for it. I wouldn't own an HPDI I have seen little to none with over 400 hours on them that haven't been rebuilt, and eveyone I have talked to who had one said they wouldn't have another, except for one of my coworkers, he has a blown 250 HPDI that he is having rebuilt. The 2.6 HPDI isn't quite as bad as the 3.3 was. The Optimax on the other hand is a great motor once they got the issues from the early years fixed. My 2010 had close to 1500 hours on the meter and was still running great, I have seen several more with 800-1000 hours on them that have never had any major issues. The majority of owners I know who had or currently have one have good things to say about them unlike the HPDI. For a 4 stroke however I would definitely go with an SHO over a Mercury, Yamaha has been building the SHO far longer than Mercury has been building the Pro XS 4 stroke, they have all the problems worked out by now and better quality control, not to mention better performance since you can flash them unlike Mercury. Bottom line is 2 stroke go with Mercury (although the Yamaha OX66 is a great motor), 4 stroke go with the SHO.
    So your flashed SHO has a block problem, and they do. Your driving all the way to Nixa MO to have it repaired??? Or you just going to take Hydrotechs word for it and take it to your local Yamaha wrench?

15. Member
    So your flashed SHO has a block problem, and they do. Your driving all the way to Nixa MO to have it repaired??? Or you just going to take Hydrotechs word for it and take it to your local Yamaha wrench?
    You can take it to any Yamaha dealer for warranty work.

16. Member
    If you want an aluminum boat approaching 21’ perhaps you are looking for a big water rig? If so, the Lund 2075 Pro V Bass is going to be one of the best options for big water running, it’s built on a deep V walleye hull and it’s heavy like a fiberglass boat.

17. Member
    A Vexus 2080 is a very well built boat and they look great.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

18. Member
    Gatortrax

19. Member
    In that size a Polar Kraft is a heavy duty hull if you can find one. Production stopped in '23 and I don't know if they will ever start up again or not. Look here at the Outlander series to start.......You should be able to find many '23 models still at dealers.

https://www.polarkraft.com/outlander-series

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremeboating View Post
    Caymas CX20/ CX21 (made by the same dude who founded Triton)
    - Xpress X20/ X21
    - GatorTrax

As big a rig as you are wanting to go, those are the only ones I would look at with a strong emphasis on Gatortrax because they historically overbuild their hulls.
    Caymas doesn’t make an aluminum boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast