Fuel Cocktail Question

1B862844 - 2012 250 Pro XS

I've been running the fuel cocktail for some time now. I'm using 2 ounces of Quickleen, 2 ounces of Quickare and 8.5 ounces of "Advanced Premium Plus" from Walmart to 10 gallons of quality 87 octane gas. Not long after using it I started noticing a oily/sooty residue in the prop. Just seems a little counterintuitive to use additives that combat carbon build up along with additional oil. Is what I'm seeing carbon build up? Could it be building up on the pistons? Are other using the cocktail experiencing this also? Thanks

I have been using Dons mix to the T, and only Mercury products as he stated, for five years now. With no issues at all.
    My prop has zero carbon build up and is very clean to the touch. 2013 250 Pro XS engine runs great at 232 hrs on it.
    Also running 87 octane gas.
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

Quote Originally Posted by Otdrzman View Post
    1B862844 - 2012 250 Pro XS

I've been running the fuel cocktail for some time now. I'm using 2 ounces of Quickleen, 2 ounces of Quickare and 8.5 ounces of "Advanced Premium Plus" from Walmart to 10 gallons of quality 87 octane gas. Not long after using it I started noticing a oily/sooty residue in the prop. Just seems a little counterintuitive to use additives that combat carbon build up along with additional oil. Is what I'm seeing carbon build up? Could it be building up on the pistons? Are other using the cocktail experiencing this also? Thanks
    Are you using Mercury or Quicksilver DFI oil?
    Specifically what gas are you using?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Are you using Mercury or Quicksilver DFI oil?
    Specifically what gas are you using?
    Recently Quicksilver due to availability. I normally get my gas (10% ethanol) from either Shell or Exxon.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneida Ranger Z520c View Post
    I have been using Dons mix to the T, and only Mercury products as he stated, for five years now. With no issues at all.
    My prop has zero carbon build up and is very clean to the touch. 2013 250 Pro XS engine runs great at 232 hrs on it.
    Also running 87 octane gas.
    The Quickare, Quickleen, DFI oil and Premium Plus you are using are all Mercury and not Quicksilver?

The Quickare, Quickleen, DFI oil and Premium Plus you are using are all Mercury and not Quicksilver?
    I don't see anywhere on here, were I said anything about Quicksilver? Are you your not mistaking?
    2013 Ranger Z520c Mercury 250 Pro XS
    1990 Ranger 361V 1991 Johnson 150 Fast Strike J150GLEIS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneida Ranger Z520c View Post
    I don't see anywhere on here, were I said anything about Quicksilver? Are you your not mistaking?
    If that was a question, it makes no sense. Mercury and Quicksilver products, to my understanding, are the same products under different labeling.

If that was a question, it makes no sense. Mercury and Quicksilver products, to my understanding, are the same products under different labeling.
    You are correct. Mercury products are sold by Mercury dealers. Quicksilver products are the same thing, just branded for sale by non Mercury dealers.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    You are correct. Mercury products are sold by Mercury dealers. Quicksilver products are the same thing, just branded for sale by non Mercury dealers.
    Precisely correct. Doesn't matter if you buy Mercury labeled or Quicksilver, product inside is exactly the same.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Is it normal while using the cocktail along with premium plus at 150:1 to see some sooty/oily residue inside the prop? I am running 87 octane (10% ethanol) from either Exxon or Shell.
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    Last edited by Otdrzman; 02-12-2024 at 03:09 PM.

11. Member
    Is it normal while using the cocktail along with premium plus at 150:1 to see some sooty/oily residue inside the prop? I am running 87 octane (10% ethanol) from either Exxon or Shell.
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    I have the same results. Been running the cocktail for years.

12. Member
    normal
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

13. Member
    Thanks for the replies

14. Member
    One more - normal.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Precisely correct. Doesn't matter if you buy Mercury labeled or Quicksilver, product inside is exactly the same.
    ASSUMING that the product name matches. Optimax/DFI Oil, or Premium Plus. Not sure I specifically recall seeing an "Advanced Premium Plus" product...?

You should not be seeing an oily residue unless either something is wrong with the engine, or you are primarily idling a LOT. Other possibility would be if the engine had been fogged, which would be fogging oil shedding from the exhaust chest.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    ASSUMING that the product name matches. Optimax/DFI Oil, or Premium Plus. Not sure I specifically recall seeing an "Advanced Premium Plus" product...?

You should not be seeing an oily residue unless either something is wrong with the engine, or you are primarily idling a LOT. Other possibility would be if the engine had been fogged, which would be fogging oil shedding from the exhaust chest.
    Here are some pictures of the Quicksilver DFI Oil - Part No. 92-858037Q01 (Academy Sports) and Advanced Premium Plus - Part No. 8M0116274 (Walmart) that I have been using for DFI and Premix oil. I also included pictures of the Quicksilver Quickleen and Quickare. I am using 2 ounces of each of the fuel additives and 8.5 ounces of the Advanced Premium Plus to 10 gallons of 87 octane (10% ethatnol) from Exxon or Shell.

Nothing seems to be wrong with the engine as far as I can tell. It idles smooth, seems to have plenty of power on take off and WOT is 5850 rpms at 58-59 mph on a 2012 Ranger 620vs. I have never fogged it. I typically cruise at 50 mph at around 5100 rpms when running from spot to spot. I do idle around fairly often while side imaging looking for structure. I may idle for a couple miles while looking.
    IMG_1881.jpegIMG_1880.jpegIMG_1882.jpegIMG_1883.jpeg

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All appear to be correct/suitable products, as you suspected.

On those trips that you side image or idle, try to make a nice run in the 4000-5000 RPM range (5+ minutes) before you come in.

Also... be keen for any strange engine starting when cold (run-off, bucking, stumbling & loping, then settling into a normal idle). These can be tell-tale signs of unmetered fuel.

Last one: Remote oil tank. 80% capacity level (max). Above that level you may leach oil back into the crankcase under certain conditions after engine shutdown.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    All appear to be correct/suitable products, as you suspected.

On those trips that you side image or idle, try to make a nice run in the 4000-5000 RPM range (5+ minutes) before you come in.

Also... be keen for any strange engine starting when cold (run-off, bucking, stumbling & loping, then settling into a normal idle). These can be tell-tale signs of unmetered fuel.

Last one: Remote oil tank. 80% capacity level (max). Above that level you may leach oil back into the crankcase under certain conditions after engine shutdown.
    I'll be sure to make the run after idling as suggested and I will also be mindful of the strange engine starting conditions. The remote oil tank situation I wasn't aware of and I'm also guilty of. I have COMPLETELY filled it on few occasions. Moving forward I'll be sure to not get it anymore full than 3/4 tank. Thank you Don.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The oil tank level situation just might be the big contributor, then. As a general rule, keep that level no less than 30%, and no more than 80% of it's fluid capacity.

20. Member
    Will do. Thank you.