Add Jackplate to 496?

I'm planning on upgrading from my 296TF to a new 496TF. I do not have a Jack Plate on my 06 296TF and have never thought I needed one. With that said, can anyone suggest whether or not I would need one on a new 496 with Merc 250. I am planning to add poles, but plan on using Lithium batteries that would lighten the load. I appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you

2. Member
    I had an 8" on mine. It was the manual type, but still the easy adjustability in nice to have.

3. Member
    Thanks much for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    I had an 8" on mine. It was the manual type, but still the easy adjustability in nice to have.

4. Member
    I also had an 8" Atlas on my 496. The setback caused my Talon brackets to drag water, could barely get on plane. Took off 4 inches and its perfect..... Don't get one that sets it too far back.

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    A 8 inch bobs hydraulic is what you will want .Also get the hole shot plate and you can raise that motor all the way on take off which will drastically help hole shot.If you add power poles go with power poles not talons they weigh way to much for the 496.If you were getting a 596 that’s a totally different animal that can carry a lot more weight on stern.