2022 ZX225 Speed , Hole Shot and Steering Thoughts

Boat from factory , Slide Master 7 Dots , 3 holes down engine mount , it was 1 3/4 " . Hole shot was Skeeter good with 2 Talons, 3/4 tank, 2 men, lighter than average tournament load, empty live wells, one 12" Bird and MEGA 360 on the Bow with 52" Ultrex. 64mph tops in great conditions.

I started lowering a dot at a time or 1/4" and never saw much difference until I got to 4 DOTS or 2 1/2 " PTP. No increase in speed but the
    hole shot is even better and steering lightened up all the way through to near top end. Top speed by myself in perfect conditions, 69 at 6000 slight bump down from max trim. 55* water, 55* air, 555' elevation, 55% humidity. just kidding but that's close. Anyone know what the prop slip is ? just curious

Im not really chasing top speed, but I like to experiment and maximize what I've got. I bought a spare T2 prop and swapping them gets same results so I'm guessing the odds are at least both are within "factory specs" I'm not wanting to have prop work done unless it is obviously going to make a big smile worth of difference. I'll probably until I ding one enough then have work other done repair done and see what happens. What is worth it to some is a waste of money to others. Not sure where I'm at right now. Does prop work help with steering at speed?

I will go 1/4" lower and see what happens . That would be 2 3/4" Is that unusual for what I've got?

What have you guys experienced with the compromises between hole shot , steering at speed, and top speed? Myself, steering at speed is priority over top speed and I don't think I can screw up the hole shot of this boat if I tried. Look forward to ideas, facts, and theories.

2. Member
    2018 ZX225 from the factory was 7 dots. I’ve moved up to 9 dots and range from 68 to 73 depending on load.

2016, Slidemaster 7 dots from factory like most Skeeters i think. Previous owner bumped it up to 9 gave which the best speed, 72-73 but that was with 4 lead acids, single PP and single 9" on bow and most likely a lighter than typical tackle load. (And, as I have been told, right on the edge of controllability). I've switched to 2 poles, 4 lithiums, and added dual mount and two 12's to bow, so the weight distribution is all changed now, but with a Bob's JP and imo a heavier than typical tackle load I top out at 69 and change... Just can't get it to eek over that 70mph number lol. But TBH I typically run it between 60-65 most of the time anyway.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    2018 ZX225 from the factory was 7 dots. I’ve moved up to 9 dots and range from 68 to 73 depending on load.
    How is high speed steering now?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roper56 View Post
    How is high speed steering now?
    Never been an issue no matter height of motor. Pretty much a point and shoot boat.

Same for mine, as long as you are not overtrimmed, high speed steering is fine.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Same for mine, as long as you are not overtrimmed, high speed steering is fine.
    What is considered over trimmed?

Quote Originally Posted by Roper56 View Post
    What is considered over trimmed?
    When steering to the left gets tight ;).

But seriously - usually any rooster tail shooting up over motor height for normal setups is the indication that you are over trimmed, at which time you'll also likely see it become hard/stiff to steer left also

Some more experinced guys might have some better indicators as well...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    I am amazed at the difference In the difference in height of engine on same boat. At 7 dots I get a rooster tail way above the cowling.

10. Member
    2021 ZX225, I have full lithium batteries, Ultrex 112 52inch and stock graphs on the boat. Myself, full tackle, 1/2 tank of gas in the right conditions I have seen 73.4. Majority of the time with partner, his poles/tackle, water level in livewell 3/4 full, 1/2-full tank of gas 68-69. Mine has an Atlas plate but seems to run a bit better lower on the gauge (8), measuring height 2.5 PTP seems to be about 16 on the gauge for my rig. Lithium batteries killed lift and I normally run with water in the wells now even if I am not putting any fish in them, prop was worked over by Croxton but overall the boat just seems to run "flat".