Trailer Bearings/Seals Question

1990 Ranger 393v trailer bearings question. I get out 10-15 times a year. How often should I be repacking the bearings? When I repack them do I need to order new bearings and seals each time? Thanks guys
    1990 Ranger 393v Yamaha Pro V 200 HP

2. Member
    I always did mine yearly, but I didn’t replace the seals unless I had a problem for two or three years in a row. Single axle I definitely would do a yearly if it’s a tandem axle and you don’t go very far you could probably get away with every two or three years. I always look for leaks mostly as that’s the sign of a problem that needs fixed. Make sure you buy marine seals and marine grease. I had a boat for 20 years and never replaced the bearings but I always made sure they were clean with no pits or rust
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-09-2024 at 07:14 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    There’s a trailer area on below. If you wanna ask in there also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

4. Member
    I have to pull my seals out to check and clean and ruins them. I replace the seals if I pull them. Get them online much cheaper

5. Member
    thanks!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    I have to pull my seals out to check and clean and ruins them. I replace the seals if I pull them. Get them online much cheaper
    Do you buy your seals from Ranger?

7. Member
    Etrailers or pacific trailer parts is where i go. Need double lip seals for boat trailer
    MAGA

Every year is pretty aggressive maintenance schedule. I try to get to them every three and should be plenty. Replace the rear seal every time you repack as 487vs says. Ruins them when you pull them to take the inside bearing out. Keep an eye on them and feel before you launch or when you get back home from a pull for excessive heat.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

9. Member
    No I get the number off them and check the web

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Fisherman View Post
    1990 Ranger 393v trailer bearings question. I get out 10-15 times a year. How often should I be repacking the bearings? When I repack them do I need to order new bearings and seals each time? Thanks guys

You did not say how many miles the 10-15 trip average. If your pulling a 100 mile round trip I think you can go a few without a repack. If your pulling across several states racking up a few hundred miles in one trip the I would do it once a year. Regardless of how many miles you pull yearly I would jack up the trailer and spin the wheel and listen for anything abnormal. If you have the built in zerk fitting that will push out when full check it to see if you need to add any grease.

I have own my boat/trailer 22 years. I bought it used (3 years old) and not knowing how many miles the bearings had I repacked them. Around 6-7 years later I repacked them again and when it was 20 or so years old I put totally new bearings in it. I pull my boat trailer about 30-40 times a year. The majority of that is to a ramp 4 miles from my house. I do have a few places I go that range from 50-135 miles round trip but I only go there 7-8 times a year. If I'm putting 1500 miles a year on my bearings I'm not repacking them every single year.

11. Member
    If the grease stays in and the water stays out, you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    If the grease stays in and the water stays out, you are good.
    That’s my motto. If the seal is good, and it’s not slinging grease, I leave it alone. Been 5 years since I last had them serviced.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

In my opinion, you're over doing it. Unless you see grease on the inside side of the wheel or around the Hub Cap you're good !! Jack each wheel up and spin it, if you don't hear a grinding noise you're good. Maybe every other year otherwise. That said, never re-pack or replace the bearing without replacing the seals.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    Keep in eye out for slung grease at the rear of wheel indicating a leaking grease seal. I take a glance at mine almost every time I launch my boat. Very easy to see with boat off trailer from a standing position. If no indication of grease leaking from seal, carry on. Once a season I also jack trailer up and check bearings for play by grabbing the tire top and bottom and see how much play is in the hub. It should be no more then 1/8" of play. The one other thing also to give you piece of mind is to get a laser temperature gun. On longer trips you can use the temp gun to monitor hub temperature. Mine run about 75 - 115 depending on ambient temps outside. Also the temps will very a bit hotter on the sunny side of the trailer. If you do this a few times you will know what your hubs run at. This way when you check them and are much higher then normal you will know there is a problem on the horizon. It gives me piece of mind on a longer trip!

15. Member
    Same here, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    That’s my motto. If the seal is good, and it’s not slinging grease, I leave it alone. Been 5 years since I last had them serviced.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Same here, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
    I'm in the same boat; it's been at least 15 years since my last bearing service (other than squirting a little grease in bearing buddies) and am now having to replace the inner seals and spindle sleeves because I finally noticed grease leaking out of one side during the yearly tire rotation. The bearings are fine, so I guess that I'll keep rolling with them.
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)