Dry Dock fan - while stored outside

I have a 2023 ZXR 21. Is anyone running their internal fan while stored outside under a cover and the charger plugged in as well? Any pros or cons are welcome. This would be for 4-7 days at a time. Thank you for the input.
    Lanierspotman
    2023 Skeeter 21ZXR 2023 250 SHO
    Lake Lanier, GA

It's a timed run if I recall. I don't tbi k it us meant to stay on for extended amounts of time.

It does run on a timer. If you leave your charger plugged in, you could technically let it run. But, as Mark P. mentioned, I don't think it's mean to be run for extended periods. I typically run mine on the way home, and then turn it off when I get home. If everything is really wet, ie due to rain or spearing some waves etc - that blower system isn't really going to help. You need bigger fans, open locker hatces, and sun to really dry things out.

I've considered removing it a few times - several Skeeter owners have, as it's usefulness is somewhat doubted, and it does get you some space back and frees up a switch as well. It's kind of a good idea, but since it doesn't have any ducting, just relying on an opening between comparments that allows air to pass through, it doesn't seem too be very effective. I was just out testing mine a few days ago. The right side forward locker has airflow of course, but you can barely feel any flow in the center, and none at all in the passenger side rod locker or either of the rear lockers. I have a feeling mine is coming out soon.

I will say, it does depend on a "closed" loop for airflow, so really needs the lids to be shut for any benefit... if any at all.

A better option would maybe just be having the lids cracked under the cover with a low airflow fan that is plugged in, tbh. Not as convienent as the built in system, but I bet it works a heck of a lot better.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 02-05-2024 at 01:27 PM. Reason: lots of spellin/grmmer errors lol

4. Member
    My boat spends a couple nights a week under the cover in the driveway during the summer (have trouble seeing well enough to back it in the garage at night). As I generally fish at night I, I leave the fan on overnight and into the next day, just to make sure the condensation from the cooler nights gets off the rods and gear in the lockers. For this it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by SHM64 View Post
    My boat spends a couple nights a week under the cover in the driveway during the summer (have trouble seeing well enough to back it in the garage at night). As I generally fish at night I, I leave the fan on overnight and into the next day, just to make sure the condensation from the cooler nights gets off the rods and gear in the lockers. For this it works well.
    Yeah, I fight the condensation issue - mine is stored outside but under an enclosed canopy. I've got openings at the top of the gable ends and a 12" fan hanging on a timer which kicks on early am and runs to mid morning, trying to help fight it. But I still get it, espeically with closed hatches. you notice it right away on exterior of 3700's and such, and cloth items like fabric covering the throw cushion or life vest, etc :(. It helps if I crack the lids, but then I can't lock all the comparments up, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    I've considered removing it a few times - several Skeeter owners have, as it's usefulness is somewhat doubted, and it does get you some space back and frees up a switch as well. It's kind of a good idea, but since it doesn't have any ducting, just relying on an opening between comparments that allows air to pass through, it doesn't seem too be very effective. I was just out testing mine a few days ago. The right side forward locker has airflow of course, but you can barely feel any flow in the center, and none at all in the passenger side rod locker or either of the rear lockers. I have a feeling mine is coming out soon.

I will say, it does depend on a "closed" loop for airflow, so really needs the lids to be shut for any benefit... if any at all.

A better option would maybe just be having the lids cracked under the cover with a low airflow fan that is plugged in, tbh. Not as convienent as the built in system, but I bet it works a heck of a lot better.
    I tested mine again this weekend, out of curiosity - and found I really didnt' do a good job testing the first time My assumption that the air would come in from the rear of the compartments was incorrect. The air appears to run up to the bow, then back into the center comparment and port side rod locker. When I checked at the forward of the lockers, you can definely feel air moving into them, and I also ran a gopro with some tissue paper with the lids closed and it's definitly moving some air. I'm still not sure if the rear lockers are getting any air, I suspect they are at the "end of the loop" so probaly don't get much. I got so much stuff jammed in them the vents are blocked anyway most of the time lol.

So, as mentioned earlier, its more effective with lids closed than open, but it still moves air either way. How much of a difference it makes I can't say, but it has to be better than nothing, so I am going to leave it in.

Still doesn't solve the overnight/long run time option - I wonder if Skeeter has a opinion/position on letting it run. It cycles on and off so it's not like it would be running constantly. Might give them a call next week.

7. Member
    Reading this, get back with us James and let us know what they say. Thanks for the info

Just as a follow-up, I did call Skeeter about the blower/dry-dock. They were pretty non-committal on any guidance either way, other than to say it's up to the owner's discretion if they want to let it run "full time". It will of course cycle on and off due having a timer similar to a livewell areator timer. But like anything else it is an electric motor so lifespan is limited. They didn't specifically say not to, but didn't say it was ok to do it, either - so not much help really. The only thing they did offer is that it was ok to let it run longer if caught in rainstorm, etc. But again no specific run time was mentioned.

9. Member
    I keep my boat on a lift with the cover on. I thought about rigging up a fan or something but instead bought some moisture absorbers by star brite. I put one of those in the bilge after hand pumping any left over water. Works pretty good.