Thread: Ping G430

Ping G430

So decided to retire the Taylor Made R7 with stiff shaft, circa 2005, figured some new technology wouldn’t hurt me. Went to Continental Golf in Raleigh, NC for a fitting. Now that I am 62, in good shape, figured a regular shaft would be better. They put in me in the Ping based on the swing analysis and a regular shaft.

HOLY COW! Hit some on the range yesterday before playing, a little inconsistent as I still need to figure out my setup. Am normally a few yards longer than my partners. First hole, smoked one with a mini draw, 30 yards past my normal drive. By the last hole, was steady down the middle, long. The boys ain’t happy with my new purchase.

Sadly for my bank account, am thinking my circa 2010 Taylor Made Burner 2.0’s May need to go!

If you have some older clubs, it’s worth taking a look at the new ones.

I tested out the Taylor made QI drivers the other day and compared them to my sim wasn’t much of difference between them but am going to try out a few different drivers. I carry a Taylor mini driver. No way I’m giving it up. When i get in a funk with the driver I switch to the mini until I straighten out the driver. Gonna have to give that ping a test. I’d like to look at the new callaway drivers also

3. Member
    I checked out the QI, Callaway and a number of others. Could control the Ping best, distance was about the same on all of them. All my other clubs are TM,just the way it has worked out.

4. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Ping makes great equipment that just flat out works.

I play the G425, and found Ping to be the most forgiving driver you can swing.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    First round yesterday, hit 13 of 14 fairways, and had 20+ extra yards. Have the weight set out on the toe and if I swung easy had a fade, medium hit it straight and swing hard had a draw. On the range swinging too hard it was a hook, so didn’t do that on the course. Switched the weight to the middle, will see what it does on the range and how I can control it.

So now I need to work on my shorter irons…what a terrible problem to have!

I got to hit the 430 today. I hit it better than I do my sim for sure but I am really struggling with the driver in general. I’m going to take my driver out of my bag when playing rounds as I don’t want to be tempted to use it. I will practice with it until I can figure out what’s going on but for now I’ll have to lose a few yards and hit the mini driver. I can hit the mini straight but 255 yards is the top of the mark with it and usually it’s around 245 but I’ll take a ball in play as opposed to eating strokes for OB or hazards

8. Member
    Nice choice OP My team partner plays that driver and loves it. No one loses, based on equipment, playing PING.

Played the i500's last year and have a G425 5W in the closet, that is a missile off the tee or deck. Just in a Callaway phase at the moment
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

9. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    My wife is ditching her PXG irons and going back to Ping.

10. Member
    Some real world feedback with the new driver. Figured out how to play a mini draw and fade, which are both needed on my home course. Pretty easy, draw play it out towards the toe, fade on the heel.

Now to the statistics. I actually took a few rounds and measured drive length and accuracy.

- 20 yards gained on average
    - Was hitting 10 fairways per round, increased to 12 (even being barely in the rough I counted as a missed)
    - Averaging 1 drive “in trouble” instead of 2, meaning in the trees, generally right from swinging to easy
    - Still need to figure out how high to tee it up, seems I am teeing it up a little high every so often and popping it up. For now keeping it pretty low.
    - Average score went from 76 to 74

Qi irons ordered, another week or so. According to the monitor at the fitting hitting them the same distance as my old ones (a little disappointing) but the good news is the ball flight angle coming down is much higher, meaning the ball will stop quicker. We have some greens that it is almost impossible to hold, even with a wedge, so hoping that helps. Will report iron results in a month or so once I get some play on them.

Wish they were here now, my boat motor blew up Tuesday so have time now to play more. Next week will have a new engine and the first world problem of whether to golf or fish every day.

11. Member
    Good thing you are killing it with the new club!! Sorry to hear a bout the motor but sounds like you have a very quick fix! How old was you motor and make?

12. Member
    I have a Titleist 913. - It’s now 11 years old, and other than a 50* wedge I bought 5 years ago, and a wooden putter I made myself, that’s the newest club in my bag. My irons and my 54* are from 2008, my fairway woods are Cleveland’s from the early 2000s sometime. I’m often intrigued by newer offerings, but A) they are so dang expensive!! And B) I play well with what I have.

Part of me is afraid to try out anything new. It could be an expensive demo.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Good thing you are killing it with the new club!! Sorry to hear a bout the motor but sounds like you have a very quick fix! How old was you motor and make?
    2014 Merc 250 ProXS, 2 stroke. 465 hours. Hit a boat wake and threw a rod. New engine is at dealer getting installed this week.

14. Member
    Dang. 10 year old motor, 46+ hours per year, not a lot of wear. I have never heard of a boat wake causing a blown engine! Good fix though-new 4 stroke. You will love it.