Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First impressions of my 2024 ZXR20

So, I've had my ZXR20 (color option F) for almost a week now and have had it on the water for break in 3 times. For reference I came out of a 2021 ZX225.

Compared to my ZX225 this thing is huge even though it's not much longer or wider. So much more room on the front deck and passenger area.
    I like the larger cooler and cooler lid.
    I like the new pedestal seats. My only con in that area is the distance from the front seat to the trolling motor pedal. I like to lean on that seat and it's a stretch to reach the pedal. I guess I'll have to do more standing which is probably a good thing anyway.
    I love way the bilge and rear deck lid setup. The 5 battery setup is great but maybe Skeeter could have made it a little easier access to the wires.

Coming out of a ZX225 I had the team deck and I know a lot of people didn't like it but I liked it. I really liked the two day boxes and it seemed like the front deck had more compartment space. Even though with this layout there is pretty much the same or more space it's taking me a little time to figure out how to store things. There does seem to be more room for rods though.

I've read a lot of posts about the hydraulic jack plate and honestly I never thought I would want one. However, as many people have pointed out, now that I've driven this boat it's like night and day compared to my old boat. It's like going from a sedan to a sports car! Once I get more seat time and experience I'm sure I will love it even more. The boat rides awesome but since this is my fourth Skeeter I'm used to a great riding boat.

The only issues I'm having so far are, 1) the gas gauge is not working properly. Most of the time it seems to be reading half of the actual amount of gas in the tank or the needle goes way past full. The tank was completely empty when I took delivery so not sure if that may be causing it. I had to open the gas cap once to release fumes as well. 2) The remote drain plug won't go all the way in. I have to push it a little to get it all the way in. I turn the switch all the way but I don't want to force it. I've checked to make sure there wasn't debris and I put a little silicon on the plug but it still won't go all the way in. I'll get the dealer to address these issues but if anyone has some tips I'll give them a try in the meantime.

Overall I absolutely love this boat and after 3 other Skeeters I believe I can say this is my forever boat.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

2. Member
    Thanks for the post! Glad you are happy with the new boat! Are the decks aluminum (like my 2022 and subject to leaks) or did Skeeter make a change? I am happy with my ZXR20 as well!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Missedone View Post
    Thanks for the post! Glad you are happy with the new boat! Are the decks aluminum (like my 2022 and subject to leaks) or did Skeeter make a change? I am happy with my ZXR20 as well!
    They look like the same deck as my ZX225 so I believe they are aluminum. I’m going fishing tomorrow and it might rain so I’ll see if I have leaks.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

4. Member
    There has been tons of talk about the issue with Skeeters leaking. Mine leaks as well (22 FXR21). I finally figured out my problem. I washed boat off after short road trip and was careful not to get too much water on carpet areas. Looked in the forward storage compartments and saw fresh splatters of water. There was also water on the base end of every screw that holds the lids down and the screws that are visible going into the trim when the lids are open. My issue is the screws. I got some clear silicon and smeared over the top of all the screws I had access to.

I did not remove the lids to silicon those screws but another guy with a 2024 told me he believes his water penetration issue was from the lid hinge screws; so apparently 2024 still has issues.

The ZXR20s are awesome. I've owned a bunch of Skeeters but by far this has been my favorite. Just a really nice platform and layout.

6. Member
    My 23 leaks and is at the dealer right now for a reseal and hopefully it will fix it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nix03 View Post
    My 23 leaks and is at the dealer right now for a reseal and hopefully it will fix it.
    What do they have to do in order to re-seal it?

8. Member
    Skeeter boats have been leaking for years. Why they will not address this on going issue is ridiculous. Time for another customer service award!

9. Member
    As for my gas gauge I noticed today than whenever I trim up or down the motor using the blinker switch that's when the gas gauge needle goes all the way past full and when I stop the trim it goes back to where it was. I still don't believe the gauge is reading correctly either.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

10. Member
    Put some marine grease on the drain plug. They make a great for it, but that always worked on mine.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    What do they have to do in order to re-seal it?
    I was told they would remove the deck and put a gasket down between the aluminum deck and the fiberglass. Dealer said it takes 10-12 hours to complete.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    As for my gas gauge I noticed today than whenever I trim up or down the motor using the blinker switch that's when the gas gauge needle goes all the way past full and when I stop the trim it goes back to where it was. I still don't believe the gauge is reading correctly either.
    Not sure to what extent your fuel gauge needle is moving. If the sending unit is near the back of the tank, and the tank is not completely full, when you trim up, all the gas runs to the back of the tank which will move the needle to full or past full. After a minute or so the fuel level will have stabilized and the needle should come down a bit. If you come off the plane and idle the boat is level and the needle will be lower. The lower the fuel level, the more the difference will be. If the tank is totally full the needle will barely change during acceleration or trimming.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    Not sure to what extent your fuel gauge needle is moving. If the sending unit is near the back of the tank, and the tank is not completely full, when you trim up, all the gas runs to the back of the tank which will move the needle to full or past full. After a minute or so the fuel level will have stabilized and the needle should come down a bit. If you come off the plane and idle the boat is level and the needle will be lower. The lower the fuel level, the more the difference will be. If the tank is totally full the needle will barely change during acceleration or trimming.
    -
    Thanks for the response. In my case I have two issues. The first one is that the gas gauge seems to read about half of the amount of gas in the tank. The second, when I use the trim switch the needle in the gauge will jump immediately as far past full as possible and when I stop using the switch the needle goes back to where it was. Maybe that is normal but I don't remember seeing that on my other boat(s) or at least that amount of distance the needle moves. I can live with the needle moving but of course I need the gauge to be accurate. The gauge does however fluctuate with the amount of gas in the tank.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nix03 View Post
    I was told they would remove the deck and put a gasket down between the aluminum deck and the fiberglass. Dealer said it takes 10-12 hours to complete.
    I wonder if they make the gasket or if it is something they get from Skeeter?

16. Member
    -
    Thanks for the response. In my case I have two issues. The first one is that the gas gauge seems to read about half of the amount of gas in the tank. The second, when I use the trim switch the needle in the gauge will jump immediately as far past full as possible and when I stop using the switch the needle goes back to where it was. Maybe that is normal but I don't remember seeing that on my other boat(s) or at least that amount of distance the needle moves. I can live with the needle moving but of course I need the gauge to be accurate. The gauge does however fluctuate with the amount of gas in the tank.
    The needle shouldn't move when you use the trim switch (at least mine doesn't). When I use my trim switch, the voltage drops due to the current draw, so I would check your wiring and grounds on the sender to make sure they are tight. You can also remove the sending unit and move the float by hand so it is say halfway up, and look at your gauge to see if it actually shows half full at that point. If not, the sending unit might need to be replaced.
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okskeetertzx190 View Post
    I wonder if they make the gasket or if it is something they get from Skeeter?
    The way service talked it was something they got from skeeter but I'm not 100% sure. I will ask this afternoon when I pick it up.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulsare2020 View Post
    The needle shouldn't move when you use the trim switch (at least mine doesn't). When I use my trim switch, the voltage drops due to the current draw, so I would check your wiring and grounds on the sender to make sure they are tight. You can also remove the sending unit and move the float by hand so it is say halfway up, and look at your gauge to see if it actually shows half full at that point. If not, the sending unit might need to be replaced.
    Thanks for the response. I checked the wires behind the dash to the gauge and as far as I know they are okay. How do I check the wires at the sender or even check the sender?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225

19. Member
    Thanks for the response. I checked the wires behind the dash to the gauge and as far as I know they are okay. How do I check the wires at the sender or even check the sender?

The link above explains how to check the sending unit.
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

20. Member
    My gauge did the same thing showing half a tank and a full tank fxr2021 , took back to the dealer since under warrenty and they fixed her up something about the sending unit , and as far as leaking deck I do believe they used the wrong screws to tighting the deck down I changed them with nuts under neath to tighten the deck up and it worked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast