Compression question

SER# 1E 053049
    300XS
    When checking compression how will the air injectors affect your readings? Should they be disconnected when you check it?

2. Member
    1. The air injectors will be closed so its a non-issue (kill switch activated). Motors not running, so the compressor is not pumping much air.
    2. No
    Last edited by Savage; 02-01-2024 at 04:41 PM.

3. Member
    Ok thanks. That’s what I thought. I was told different by a Facebook expert.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Facebook Expert must be using key switch, too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    So if you don’t use the key switch but instead jump the solenoid then you don’t have the compression loss through the air injector’s. Is that correct?

6. Member
    correct , and key in off position
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Thanks for the response Joe. I have always used a remote start switch to jump the solenoid if it’s easy to get at. I like to know what that first compression jump is. But every time I learn one of these things that I should do when I checking compression I have back up try it the other way just to see how much difference it makes. As near as I can tell if you were to ask 10 mechanics how to check compression you would get 8 different answers.

8. Member
    and probly 6 are wrong
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Thanks for the response Joe. I have always used a remote start switch to jump the solenoid if it’s easy to get at. I like to know what that first compression jump is. But every time I learn one of these things that I should do when I checking compression I have back up try it the other way just to see how much difference it makes. As near as I can tell if you were to ask 10 mechanics how to check compression you would get 8 different answers.
    It's outlined quite clearly in most service manuals, as well as in the FAQ Section at the top of the Forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor