Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Mice Catching Experts?

When I moved into my house I noticed some old bait stations from the previous owners up in the attic. I've lived here about 5 years and have never seen a mouse or mini turds anywhere in the house, only droppings in the attic. Well a few weeks ago I was outside and saw one shoot by and go through a gap between the trim and the brick around the garage. Since then I have caught 10-12 with a snap trap set right by that opening. Caught another 6-7 in the attic with snap traps, but then they kind of left those alone. Seem to be getting wise. I also set up a 5 gallon bucket in the attic with ramps and a "rolling log", but didn't have any takers.

I don't want to close the opening until I've gotten rid of them all but I have no idea how many are up there. If I've killed 15 does that mean there are 50 more or 500?

2. Member
    About a 5 foot long chicken snake in the attic will fix you right up.

It's a win win deal. The snake thinks it's at a buffet and you are rid of the mice. When the mice are gone so is the snake.
    Hi Mike.

3. Member
    What are you baiting the traps with? Cheese? Try something different like peanut butter. Setup a game camera or something to watch and see.

4. Member
    Foam & wire up the gaps now and continue with your baiting & sticky traps. You'll never exclude them all to be able to seal the gaps.

5. Member
    Tomcat bait chunks will eliminate all of them.

6. Member
    Maybe you got all of them. I had a boat house that once I got rid of them it took a long time to move back in.

7. Member
    I had a mini invasion of those SOBs in my garage. I bought a bucket full of professional-grade poison since they ignored the Home Depot stuff. I bought a pestle and mortar, then crushed the poison and mixed it in a sandwich bag with peanut butter, and left about an inch of the sealed top open to allow the scent to get out and be able to see if it had been chewed on. They loved it. For a couple of days. Then they left.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Just remember one thing about putting out any poison, once they eat it they won't pick a nice accessible area to die in so you can come along and scoop them up. They are going to die in THE most inaccessible place then rot and stink for about three weeks. And it one horrible smell
    Hi Mike.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    Just remember one thing about putting out any poison, once they eat it they won't pick a nice accessible area to die in so you can come along and scoop them up. They are going to die in THE most inaccessible place then rot and stink for about three weeks. And it one horrible smell
    I've never had this experience myself. And I have poisoned plenty.

5 Gal bucket trap

Use a wooden dowel to go through the top. A empty toilet paper roll for the roller and spread peanutbutter on the roller.
    To keep the smell of the dead mice down put about 3" or so of water in the bottom of the bucket.
    Make a ramp to get to the top of the bucket.
    It works like a charm.

11. Member
    They say you can't make a better mouse trap but hose grey and red plastic traps you get at Walmart are THE better mouse trap
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

12. Member
    I have killed many mice using the water bucket trap. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 days for it to begin trapping them. Peanut butter is all I have ever used for bait. Last month I noticed some mouse droppings. Set the bucket trap and nothing the first night. Nothing the second night. Trapped 9 mice the third night. It works great. Very easy cleanup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    5 Gal bucket trap

Use a wooden dowel to go through the top. A empty toilet paper roll for the roller and spread peanutbutter on the roller.
    To keep the smell of the dead mice down put about 3" or so of water in the bottom of the bucket.
    Make a ramp to get to the top of the bucket.
    It works like a charm.

If you use snap traps set them in places where they are limited in how they can get to the bait. I have been setting mine bait side into a corner. End and side of trap up against the wall. Far fewer misses that way. And yes Peanut butter

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rulebender View Post
    If you use snap traps set them in places where they are limited in how they can get to the bait. I have been setting mine bait side into a corner. End and side of trap up against the wall. Far fewer misses that way. And yes Peanut butter
    I appreciate the replies and ideas. I have been strictly using peanut butter as bait. It's also what I used when I did the bucket and rolling log, put PB in the middle of a metal conveyor roller. The plan there was to catch as many as possible, and I left it baited for 2 weeks and had zero. The snap traps are effective but going one by one is a pain. Either way, the idea behind leaving the gap open for now was that if I close it off, they'll just find or create a new entry and exit spot. I'm not against the poison idea or the snake, lol.

15. Member
    Get a cat. People by me who live close to rivers/streams get them from shelters. Cats live outside or in around sheds and take care of all the critters.

I like the snap traps that have the plastic cheese looking trigger. Baited with PB.

17. Member
    How can the great Cat-Deani help you?

c0daf695d63320c199bc47a98e670e5e.jpg

18. Member
    Peanut butter and a bunch of good ol' fashion mouse traps cleared out the sheds. And don't chase the stray cats away...................

Go to tractor supply and get some bait and bait boxes. Also get a couple that are called Tin Cats. Something we deal with every day
    You can censor my speech but not my thoughts or will
    We are living in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so stupid people won't be offended

20. Member
    I have several bird feeders and go through 40 pounds of birdseed and 40 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds every month or so and this fall I noticed good sized rats showing up around dusk feeding on the seeds the birds knock out of the feeders. I've started putting out victor rat snap traps but I hate those things ever since I stepped on one when I was 12 and broke two toes. Would like to use some kind of poison but don't want to poison other critters or someone's pet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast