Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    You'd think 10K in those huge screens on the bow would do more to shield you when you stuff a big wave. Guess they must've been installed wrong or something.

1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Wow

2009 ELITE 210

That Co anglers vest inflated yet the drivers didn’t. Probably because of the console blocking the wave.

I got caught off guard once on the delta while a big offshore grain freighter rolled through in the main San Joaquin river channel. I was using the trolling motor and fishing the rip rap outside the channel markers when the big rolling waves rolled right over the bow not once but twice when the multiple rolling wakes hit back to back. I did not get as much water as in that video but it was eye opening.

I also have a hard time getting past those big freighters from behind on the main channel. The rolling waves are big big big.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 02-01-2024 at 11:35 AM.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgsalot View Post
    How long does it take a bilge pump or pumps to get that water out? Seems like a scary situation that could really screw up electronics at least.
    I was actually really impressed with the pumps at how fast they pumped the water out. I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 5-10 minutes. All I know is I will never ever forget it. We were in a Nitro Z21 and those pumps were in overdrive.

6. Member
    Between FFS and stuff like that, I don't see how they get co anglers to show up.

7. Member
    Broke my trolling motor brackett on St. Clair.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z520C View Post
    I’ve speared my share, but never where it filled floor flush like that…
    Happened to me and my partner once as in a Thursday night tourney take off, just other boat wakes. The speared wave landed right in our laps. Sucked for sure.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Just another day on St Clair
    You're not kidding. St Clair is still to this day the worst one I ever speared

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    Between FFS and stuff like that, I don't see how they get co anglers to show up.
    And people say co anglers are the problem lol

12. Member
    I had one roll over the back and opened back storage lids and stuff floated out. The best piece of advice I was given and paid off that day is if the motor is swamped you need to hammer down on the throttle and hopefully will keep it running and keep a bad situation from becoming worse.

I have been in some big waves, but knock on wood, never stuck one like that.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodman_fishing View Post
    Feels inevitable for me to do that on a 19footer. Makes me want to add a second bilge!
    Only time I've ever seen my second bilge(automatic) kick on was after spearing a wave just exactly like the video... me and my partner were sitting in cold water to our waists..cockpit full. Tritons dual bilges emptied boat in less than 5 mins. My Partner has never let me forget it... I've speared a few over the years on Ky Lake, every time, because I was trying to soften the ride for my co.

15. Member
    Did it a couple times

16. Member
    If you fish the TN River, then you will get one at some point. I stuck one in Florida last year in 60-degree water and a 37-degree air temp... It was a few cold hours of fishing trying to get dried out. My son will never forget that day for sure.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffprocraft190 View Post
    I was the co-angler at a BASS pro-am fishing with a Texas pro on the Potomac in 1989. A powerful front came off the back of Hurricane Hugo and hit right as our flight was headed in for the weigh-in. We ate one when we had to turn to go into Mattawoman Creek. To me it was like it was in slow motion. The water came down the deck, down the step and into the floor, hit the base below the seats, shot up the rainsuit and back down the rainsuit and I found out the rainsuit did not do me any good as I was thoroughly drenched. It was September and I was a bit chilled at the weigh-in due to the hard wind and rain and noticed Clunn was walking around in his flip flops like it was just another day at the office, although he did have his rainsuit on.
    I remember that tournament. I had just moved to Northern VA and started fishing the Potomac in early 1989. I believe that was the first time the pros had ever been to the Potomac. It was so rough that I couldn't believe that they still held the tournament. I still have photographs from the weigh in and it was pretty choppy at the ramp. I've seen the Potomac pretty bad and have speared a few big waves myself like in that video, but it's crazy that the pros fished in those conditions, particularly in 18ft boats. I'm glad I wasn't on the water that day and was just a spectator.

18. Member
    He needs to send that video to whatever company his electronics mount is made by so they can use it for advertising. That's a ton of pressure and it looks like it held up just fine.

19. Banned
    ooops

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj68 View Post
    I remember that tournament. I had just moved to Northern VA and started fishing the Potomac in early 1989. I believe that was the first time the pros had ever been to the Potomac. It was so rough that I couldn't believe that they still held the tournament. I still have photographs from the weigh in and it was pretty choppy at the ramp. I've seen the Potomac pretty bad and have speared a few big waves myself like in that video, but it's crazy that the pros fished in those conditions, particularly in 18ft boats. I'm glad I wasn't on the water that day and was just a spectator.
    Hurricane Hugo was supposed to come right through the area so BASS cancelled Day 3 of the tournament, but Hugo turned inland and went farther west than forecasted and in hindsight, we would have been alright fishing that day. Then on Day 4, everyone thought we would be OK as Hugo was past us, but it hooked back towards the ocean as it headed north and spun a line of storms off the back side that came right through the tournament area. North of us it even spawned a few tornados.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast