Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Johnny Morris rods

Has anyone tried the new carbonlite rod’s or the signature series rods?

2. Member
    No, but I work for BPS and we have looked at them closely. The Carbonlite is basically the same as it was before with two exceptions - they have eliminated the dial at the base of the handle that you could use to remember the lb. test line you were using and the handle grip material is somewhat different. Everything else remains much the same. There is also a new "black" Carbonlite series of technique specific rods. Both the black and white rods are the same price. The Signature series are now Made In USA with a matte finish blank. The Platinum series is also Made In USA with the same red colored blanks. Based upon past sales, I expect the Carbonlites to continue to be the best sellers by a wide margin.

3. Member
    Thank you for your input! I think the carbonlite rods are great for the price point. Plus the 10 year warranty is nice as well!

Had no idea New Carbonlite rods existed. Many guys at bait shops sluff them off as being too whippy or noodlie. I have 3 of them purchased at 1/2 off sale and still need to figure out a good use for them.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

5. Member
    Took a chance and ordered the new, made in the USA, JM Platinum spinning combo. Im pretty sure its going back. The amount the threads that stick past the reel when its fully tightened is crazy and uncomfortable. 1in of threads are exposed.

IMG_20240205_163904111.jpg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OG Cranksta View Post
    Took a chance and ordered the new, made in the USA, JM Platinum spinning combo. Im pretty sure its going back. The amount the threads that stick past the reel when its fully tightened is crazy and uncomfortable. 1in of threads are exposed.

IMG_20240205_163904111.jpg
    Yikes...that's straight up factory-fugly.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    No, but I work for BPS and we have looked at them closely. The Carbonlite is basically the same as it was before with two exceptions - they have eliminated the dial at the base of the handle that you could use to remember the lb. test line you were using and the handle grip material is somewhat different. Everything else remains much the same. There is also a new "black" Carbonlite series of technique specific rods. Both the black and white rods are the same price. The Signature series are now Made In USA with a matte finish blank. The Platinum series is also Made In USA with the same red colored blanks. Based upon past sales, I expect the Carbonlites to continue to be the best sellers by a wide margin.
    Has BPS came out with a new crankin stick to replace the crappy one they have now? I have been using the Crankin sticks for 15 years and the one they have had out for the past couple years is by far the worst I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Yikes...that's straight up factory-fugly.
    That seat is way more comfortable to use in an uplocking configuration. (opposite the way they have it)

9. Member
    I know every JM series did I have had I have been more than happy with. These days I prefer to buy USA made rods and have been buying from other manufacturers. I have not bought a BPS rod in years with the exception of the patriots rods. Glad to hear that more of them are being made here again.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    That seat is way more comfortable to use in an uplocking configuration. (opposite the way they have it)
    Agreed, either finish it off with a foregrip, or flip it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    yessir. That’s also why i build my downlocking with hoods. Hides the threads and gives it a cleaner look.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Has BPS came out with a new crankin stick to replace the crappy one they have now? I have been using the Crankin sticks for 15 years and the one they have had out for the past couple years is by far the worst I have ever used.
    Can I get a hell yeah here ?
    Ranting incoherently

13. Member
    No, the one that came out about 2 years ago is the current version. They have sold fairly well so far - what do you not like about them?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    No, the one that came out about 2 years ago is the current version. They have sold fairly well so far - what do you not like about them?
    The handle and reel seat, bulky, and it looks and feels cheap. The pevoius split grip design on the left is a great rod, but I won't be buying anymore of the new ones unless they redesign the reel seat with an exposed blank and go back to a split grip. There are $40-50 rods that have better handles than that, this one feels like I am holding a $30 ugly stick.
    20230309_202442.jpg 20230309_202425.jpg

15. Member
    By the way I do like the new Pro Qualifier rods, they finally put a Texas rig/ drop shot style hook keeper on them which was a much needed upgrade over the older model. I just wish they made one in a 6'9" or 6'10" MH.
    Attachment 542331 Attachment 542332

16. Member
    The handle and reel seat, bulky, and it looks and feels cheap. The pevoius split grip design on the left is a great rod, but I won't be buying anymore of the new ones unless they redesign the reel seat with an exposed blank and go back to a split grip. There are $40-50 rods that have better handles than that, this one feels like I am holding a $30 ugly stick.
    20230309_202442.jpg 20230309_202425.jpg
    I know they went to the new full handle due to many people preferring that on a crankbait stick. I agree that they could have done more to expose the blank and provide a better reel seat, but the average BPS customer will still buy them based on price. They have introduced a new series of "black" Carbonlite rods in technique-specific models and I hope they add some crankbait models to that series.

Do the new carbonlites still have the micro guides? I have one of the original carbonlites that I like but not a big fan of the micro guides.
    2021 Vexus AVX 181, Mercury 60CT 4S, MK Ultrex, HB Helix 7 MSI and MDI

IIRC both of the new black specialized and white rods look to have about identicle hardware as the original rods.

I did not pay very close attention to the guides but they seemed similar to my white rods with the line size dial at the bottom of the handle.

I sure wish they didn't get rid of that feature. Kind of puts the warranty in a worthless condition IMO since they won't replace the rod with an apples to apples replacements. :/

19. Member
    What do you mean by that? If you have the older carbonlite 2.0 and something happens to it, they won’t replace it with the newer one?

Quote Originally Posted by zred View Post
    What do you mean by that? If you have the older carbonlite 2.0 and something happens to it, they won’t replace it with the newer one?
    The new rods are not exactly the same as the older 2.0 rod. Yes they will replace the old rod with a newer different rod with out the line size clicker on the bottom.
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 03-12-2024 at 01:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast