What troll motor

My ultrex is giving me some trouble. If you were going to get another which one would it be. Have a 80 lb. Ultrex now. I like the garmin but don’t know anything about them. Thx

Have it repaired?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    If you want trouble free get a Fortrex, if you need spot lock you already have the most reliable spot lock trolling motor there is.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Ultrex quest be what id go with happy to talk to you about the pros and cons of any of them and we sell them all Minn Kota, Garmin, Lowrance, and Power Pole.

Everyone has their preferences but I went with a Motorguide Tour Pro a few years back and have had very good luck with it. I wanted the cable steer setup so that if the GPS/Spot Lock were to fail, I still have a functional trolling motor. These are typically a little less expensive too.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    My Ultrex went through hell and back for over 6 years and never quit. Upgraded to a new Quest Ultrex and was well worth it.

7. Member
    Ultrex

Get what ever one you LIKE !! I went from a Fortrex to the Ultrex and it was one of the best moves I made !! I love it and it has run flawlessly for the last 4 yrs. If it ever dies, I'll move up to the Quest.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Just went from a Ghost to the PP Move. I will not go back to Lowrance or MK after using it. Superior bracket and whisper quiet.

10. Member
    I had 3 ultrexes in a row. Had water get into the head of one of them and they replaced the head under warranty, so not a huge deal. I now have an ultrex quest. They are all very high quality. I have limited experience with the quest, but it seems faster and quieter.

11. Member
    Going on 3rd season with the Ghost and really like it. Came from a Fortrex which was flawless.

don't think u can wrong with any of them. reality is they are all pretty good. why not repair it?
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    I went from a MG Xi5 to a MG Tour Pro, take a little getting used to with all the M code setting, but on the last trip out all was good.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

14. Member
    Bought my ultrex in 18 and other than bracket bushings has been amazing! Trouble free figured after 6 years I would put it on the shelf for a backup and just ordered a quest today.

15. Member
    I stepped out on a limb and purchased a new one, a Force. That’s not like me at all. But after two trips, I like how it functions, the wireless foot control is very responsive, and the unit is quiet. It will absolutely scream when on high.

Now, the rest of the story, I’ve only been out in it twice. Not much to go on, but that’s all I’ve got. The one I’m replacing it wit is a 92 model that has 2 micro switches replaced, and that’s all I can think of. It eas used in tournaments, but not heavy.

Im through rambling, but here is what I would do. If you’re going to get heavy in T fishing, I would go with a MG, if not, I would give the Force a shot. It’s built heavy, it’s responsive, it’s s fun, and you can carry that FC any here if the boat if needed. I’ll do that with striper fishing, if my health allows. Good luck!

Ron

Ultrex quest will replace my Ultrex when it dies. I’ll have it refurbed and keep for spare.

17. Member
    Trolling motors are pretty easy to work on, i would just fix it.

18. Member
    I'm going on my 4th year now with the garmin force and its been great. The mount is built very solid and its very easy to deploy compared to the ultrex. I think the ultrex has a little better fine turning control, but the ghost motor is stronger / quieter than the non quest ultrex.

Ultimately it'd probably be way cheaper to just fix your ultrex, but if you want a new trolling motor anyways you could always get the force, fix the ultrex and sell it.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package