No prop bore sleeve

Mercury 150hp 4 stroke
    Model #1150F13HD
    Ser# 2B128374
    Prop Vengeance 19P

Should I have a plastic prop bore sleeve?? Pulled prop to drain lower unit and see that I don't have one. Thanks

2. Member
    Yes! It’s a $5-10 sacrificial part to protect the prop bore and gear case. Get another one and install.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

3. Member
    I have had a pretty good bit of experience with bore sleeves. I also have the 150. I run a 23 inch Mercury Trophy prop which is a small barrel prop. My set up was eating bore sleeves. They would break pieces off normally and maybe I had one disappear. Went thru maybe 7 or 8 in a year or so. I figured out that small barrel was letting occasional piece of debris in and breaking bore sleeve. I put a cavitation ring ( about $30) on my prop and cured my problem. I have not had one break since installing the ring. If you have small bore prop you may have same problem I did. If your running a full barrel prop I can still see the possibility of losing one occasionally but not often. Hope this helps you!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I have had a pretty good bit of experience with bore sleeves. I also have the 150. I run a 23 inch Mercury Trophy prop which is a small barrel prop. My set up was eating bore sleeves. They would break pieces off normally and maybe I had one disappear. Went thru maybe 7 or 8 in a year or so. I figured out that small barrel was letting occasional piece of debris in and breaking bore sleeve. I put a cavitation ring ( about $30) on my prop and cured my problem. I have not had one break since installing the ring. If you have small bore prop you may have same problem I did. If your running a full barrel prop I can still see the possibility of losing one occasionally but not often. Hope this helps you!
    I believe OP said he is running a Vengence, which is a standard bore prop, I believe. Still, sand, gravel, a pebble, fishing line, anything can get in and bust a tab off.
    I used to eat them a bit too, but last one I put in I heated the retaining tabs w/ a hair dryer, and put a little outward bend in them to assist in the retaining force, and the last one lasted 4 years till it was so beat up that I decided to replace it. My suggestion is order 2 of them, then you have a spare; then when you need to use it, order another; this way you always have one on the shelf.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Member
    Need 1 = Order 3 ...very fragile for the environment they are exposed to.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The newer ones have a little better retention clips. Keep in mind- it's a sacrificial part so if it's damaged or gone it DID IT'S JOB by sacrificing itself rather than the very expensive gearcase housing and/or bearing carrier.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for the help going to pick up couple.