Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Let's see if your VesselView Link contained the Instruction Booklet, which displays Part# 90-8M0127924 in the lower left corner?

Page one shows the kit contents, and the harness has a 10-pin connector for the J-Box and a barrel connector for the VesselView Link.

There's also another 10-pin connector (which has a dust cap on it), a NMEA-2000 Tee, a NMEA-2000 Extension Harness, and four screws.

Page 3 & 4 cover the connections of the harnesses.

If you still have questions, please feel free to ask (if you don't have the instructions, you'll really want a set to keep with your important documentation anyway).
    Yes, has the instructions w/ 90-8M0127924.
    Yes, all the kit contents are present as you describe. Including the weather cap on the power connection to the VV Display, which will go unused in my config...I just overlooked it when I inspected it the first time.
    Yes, connections are easy to understand and will be easy to connect -- in a month when I can get my boat out of storage.

I'll report back when I get it installed and working, complete w/ pictures. Thanks again for answering my questions, and for all you do for this forum and Merc owners everywhere...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Reviving this tread.

I finally got the VVL and my new Lowrance HDS Live 7 installed. Let's Review:

Before this install, I had:

• Merc 150 4s, S/N 2B181067, with installed block water pressure sender (digital)
    • SC-1000 System Tach and Speedometer, plus 2 System Link SC-100 Gauges
    • Lowrance HDS Carbon 12 at the helm and HDS Carbon 9 at the bow with functioning NEMA 2000 and Ethernet Networks connecting them

I removed the 4 smart craft gauges, unplugging their harnesses from the j-box at the helm
    I Installed the VVL and connected it to the Nema 2000 Bus and j-box at the helm, weather capping the 2 open j-box holes.
    I Installed HDS 7 Live at the helm and connected it to the NEMA 2000 and Ethernet Busses.

So, After the install, I have:
    • Same Merc 150 4s, with installed block water pressure sender (digital)
    • Two Lowrance HDS (12 and 7) at the Helm, one HDS 9 at the Bow. All connected to the NEMA 2000 bus and all connected to each other by ethernet.
    • All HDS on latest software version
    • VVL on latest software version

After getting everything installed, I keyed on the engine, then powered up the HDS12 alone
    I ran the VVL setup wizard on the HDS12 First
    I then Powered up the HDS 7 and 9 they seemed to import that "personality file" automatically when I powered them up.
    I then checked he Helm ID for all the HDS devices is set to 1, and the adjusted device ID's so they are set as follows (Per VVL instructions):
    • HDS Carbon 12 = Device 1
    • HDS Live 7 = Device 2
    • HDS Carbon 9 = Device 3

All three displays seem to have a functional VVL display on them now, although I have not "started" the Engine yet, but did have it keyd on and things seem to work as I would expect:
    • Gear shift indicator moves from N to R or F as appropriate
    • Oil pressure shows zero
    • Coolant Temp shows as about equal to ambient temp..seems right since engine has been soaking at ambient temp
    • Battery Voltage Shows
    • Trim shows and moves when I adjust the motor

The thing that is bothering me is the VVL screen does not show a reading for water pressure.

I did locate this thread -> https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1165126
    And I double checked that the Water Pressure was toggled on in the System Settings on each HDS unit as Don advised there.
    Still, within the "Mercury" screen, there is no water pressure option available to display.

Do I need the engine running to even have the display know there is a water pressure sender installed?
    Note, PRIOR to removing my SC-1000 gauges, they reliably showed water pressure (and it was always 0.0 when the engine was off and correct when the engine was running).

I also tried re-running the setup wizard, but that didn't change anything.

When it quits raining, I'll put the muffs on and actually start it and see if that changes anything...but for now, I'm stumped why the water pressure isn't available in the VV display on the HDS.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 04-17-2024 at 08:54 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you go to Page 94 and make sure your system is set up for Water Pressure?

https://samerwebapp01apncus01.azuree...d_vv_link_.pdf

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Did you go to Page 94 and make sure your system is set up for Water Pressure?

https://samerwebapp01apncus01.azuree...d_vv_link_.pdf
    I think so, here is a screen shot:
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_16.44.28.jpg

But, I'm not given a choice of the Water Pressure when the in the Mercury Screen. Here is the sequence I used to try to add it:
    Started at this screen:
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_16.43.10.jpg

Then did a long press on the middle of that screen (near Oil Pressure), to get the data select screen.
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_16.43.27.jpg
    And scrolling down the list shows this:
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_16.46.16.jpg
    Odd thing I do notice is that "Engine Trim" and "Battery" are listed twice.

I really just want to try starting over...delete all the Merc setup and begin again, but I don't know how to delete the configuration. I don't think just turning off the Mercury Features and back on deletes the data, as I tried that too.

I also tried just checking the normal data sources in the Lowrance, and the H2O pressure shows, and the bottom of the screen shows it at 0.0PSI
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_16.52.08.jpg

So, I tried to add it as a data overlay on my chart screen, and that worked too:
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_16.52.19.jpg
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 04-17-2024 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added the overlay invo

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Check also Pages 32-39, especially the Engine Data Selection info.

If all else fails, I would reset the VVL to Factory Defaults, restart and let it detect the engine (again), then follow setup methods outlined in the guide.

7. Member
    Check also Pages 32-39, especially the Engine Data Selection info.
    Is what I showed in the 2nd-4th screen shot I shared above what you are referring to? I read that section and that is what I was attempting to do...perhaps I didn't do correctly? Please advise.

If all else fails, I would reset the VVL to Factory Defaults, restart and let it detect the engine (again), then follow setup methods outlined in the guide.
    I did say I want to do that, but I don't know how to reset it, and didn't see that part in the instructions...how do I do this?

Is that on PG 135?
    ie: Settings -> Network -> DeviceList -> VVLSVesselViewLink -> Configure -> RestoreDefaults
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 04-18-2024 at 12:23 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That should be the correct setting, though I don't see it on Page 135.

Also check the Gateway Data Selection in your Graph (Primary one) to ensure Water (Block) Pressure is checked.

9. Member

Also check the Gateway Data Selection in your Graph (Primary one) to ensure Water (Block) Pressure is checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post

I also tried just checking the normal data sources in the Lowrance, and the H2O pressure shows, and the bottom of the screen shows it at 0.0PSI
    Screenshot_2024-04-17_16.52.08.jpg
    Isn't ^^^^ what I showed, or are you refering to something else?

10. 2022 Ranger Z520R Cup
    Reviving

****** you mention regarding helm ID

After getting everything installed, I keyed on the engine, then powered up the HDS12 alone
    I ran the VVL setup wizard on the HDS12 First
    I then Powered up the HDS 7 and 9 they seemed to import that "personality file" automatically when I powered them up.
    I then checked he Helm ID for all the HDS devices is set to 1, and the adjusted device ID's so they are set as follows (Per VVL instructions):
    • HDS Carbon 12 = Device 1
    • HDS Live 7 = Device 2
    • HDS Carbon 9 = Device

Don may want to chime in here, but I believe the section where you read about Adjusting the helm ID only applies if multiple VVLs are installed with their own mercury monitor and or a MercMonitor is also installed. In your case the configuration applies to the VVL box and each lowrance unit is simply displaying the config and values from the VVL box. Thus all lowrance units will show the same helm ID what you selected. If you check the VVL configuration from any of the Lowrance units I would guess they are still showing the same Helm ID. Also that is why as you checked the VVL configuration on the 2nd and 3rd Lowrance unit that they appeared to have imported a Personality file. They were simply reading the configuration that you set on the first Lowrance unit. Again Don please validate my post for the OP.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckH View Post
    Don may want to chime in here, but I believe the section where you read about Adjusting the helm ID only applies if multiple VVLs are installed with their own mercury monitor and or a MercMonitor is also installed. In your case the configuration applies to the VVL box and each lowrance unit is simply displaying the config and values from the VVL box. Thus all lowrance units will show the same helm ID what you selected. If you check the VVL configuration from any of the Lowrance units I would guess they are still showing the same Helm ID. Also that is why as you checked the VVL configuration on the 2nd and 3rd Lowrance unit that they appeared to have imported a Personality file. They were simply reading the configuration that you set on the first Lowrance unit. Again Don please validate my post for the OP.
    Yes, all of my HDS units have Helm 1, which I would expect, I only have one helm.
    Each has a unique "Device ID" which is different and separate from the "Helm ID" and the instructions imply that each unit needs a separate device ID to resolve any communiation issues.
    I do not think this is related to my problem at hand, I have been wrong before, but pretty sure this ins't the issue.

All three HDS units are behaving exaclty the same...so...My gut says its a try to reset the VVL and start again, just have to figure out how to do that.

12. Member
    Did the factory defaults on the VVL per post 28, and redid setup wizard, no change.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Isn't ^^^^ what I showed, or are you refering to something else?
    Yes, but I don't know which graph you're on. Michael- I've installed a number of these and not had any difficulties provided the sensor was in place on the engine.

Admittedly, I've never installed VVL with three graphs attempting to access it, but that should not preclude it from showing one specific data item.

What software version do you have in the VVL? And in your HELM mounted Lowrance?

14. Member
    Lowrance all on 23.3-67.3.33 (latest from Lowrance.com)
    VVL on 20.2.3-64.3.127 (latest from Merc.com)

These symptoms I’m describing appear on all three graphs. And last evening I just tried it with only one graph powered on (main one) and still the same.
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 04-19-2024 at 12:46 PM.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    20.2.3-64.3.127 shows as the latest for VVL. Might want to download and install it before going any further.

16. Member
    Sorry, I updated above, that’s what I’m on…

Said it before, but will again, I am doing all this with the engine not running. Because I haven’t put the boat in the water yet, and it won’t quit raining for me to put the muffs on. Any chance that’s the issue?

I really think the Lowrances think they have a source for Water Pressure, it’s just the Mercury “App” that doesn’t seem to know about it. Feels like a software issue. Really don’t want to hard reset my main graph, but could try a hard reset on my new one and leave the other two off and see if that resolves it?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Who did you purchase your VVL from?

18. Member
    We covered that earlier on this thread (post 15), but it was a while ago…Cabelas

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yeah... sorry about that, usually don't re-read every post, my bad.

You may need to get their Service Department involved to request assistance from Merc Technical Svc.

20. Member
    Yea, going to try that or maybe open a case w/ Lowrance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast