Any of you guys live in The Villages?

If so where do you keep your boat stored and what's that cost you a month?

2. Member
    I live right next to The Villages. I’m fortunate to have a large 3-car garage that has room for my boat.

There are lots of storage places around, from uncovered open air, covered, indoor, marinas with indoor lift storage, on the water, power access or no, you name it.

I can look around a few places online to give you an idea. I assume you’re probably wanting indoor with power
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    I live right next to The Villages. I’m fortunate to have a large 3-car garage that has room for my boat.

There are lots of storage places around, from uncovered open air, covered, indoor, marinas with indoor lift storage, on the water, power access or no, you name it.

I can look around a few places online to give you an idea. I assume you’re probably wanting indoor with power
    I appreciate the info, You don't have to look around. Wife and I are getting ready to retire in 1.5 years and are coming down next month to look around. Trying to find a place to retire, right now Hot Springs AR is at the top of the list. I would much rather have a place like yours.

4. Member
    You just missed the place right up the road. It has a 4 car garage…26+ feet deep, and 10ft ceilings.

May I ask if you have a have an agent you’ve been talking to in or near The Villages? A great friend and neighbor is literally an award winning sales agent with them. Even if what you’re after is outside The Villages, he can get you some great info and referrals.

Pros and cons to being right here. Inside “the bubble” is pretty and manicured. It doesn’t take long in any direction to get to rural FL. This area is growing. Fast. Lots of work opportunities even if you decide maybe the full time retirement isn’t your speed just yet, and you want to work a few to afford more toys. The Harris Chain is nice, but I’ve found quality fishing within 15min from the house and there’s hardly any pressure or traffic. Certainly no pleasure boaters. Ocklawaha River is nearby, too…and while you can’t fish in the Silver Spring, it’s awesome to make the winding trip in the tannic river water and transition to crystal clear spring water, where you can see all the aquatic life underneath. Plus, there’s a chance you can see some macaques that still exist in the forest along the river and spring. But *everywhere you look* on the river is awesome and holds fish. Sometimes it’s hard to put the rods down to drive to the spring. Salt water is 2hrs east, or west. Usually cheap airfare for friends or relatives to fly into Sanford (SFB) or Orlando International. And because Tampa and St Pete airports are only about 15-30min farther away than Orlando…it gives even more options for price comparing or better suiting travel days.

I arrived here after living in rural SW VA for decades, then 5 years in even more rural East TN. I miss the mountains. For sure, miss the four seasons. But very much appreciate that even in the worst of the heat, I won’t likely EVER have to worry about ice in the lakes here during winter, which means as long as it isn’t storming or blowing wind, every day can be a fishing day.
    -David Daye

Kinda have contacted an agent to show us around but if I get a bad vibe from her I'll let you know. If we end up there, I may look you up to show me around. Been on the river in Silver Spring 40 years ago pretty cool. Sister lives in Port Orange and my best friend just bought a house in Punta Gorda on the cancel system. Wife is retiring from Southwest Airlines and we will have flying benefits so it would be nice to have all the airports around. Just need to find out if something like the villages is for us and what kind of costs are involved in a place like that. We live in a cool neighborhood now by a lake and all have golf carts and have a good time but it's just too busy around Dallas. Wife has said for 30 years she would never move to Florida (have no idea what changed) Anyway we have a bunch of places to check out including North Carolina, Tennessee, and a few more. Thanks for the info.

I visited Florida last week to fish with my buddy (sorry Florida I brought that crappy weather with me)who was staying with his parents in Sebring. They live in a condo in the Sun N Lakes community which is a really nice place. But if you're in the area check out the Sebring town and surrounding area. Lots of fishing close by and only an hour or so from Okeechobee and 2 hours from Headwaters.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    Kinda have contacted an agent to show us around but if I get a bad vibe from her I'll let you know. If we end up there, I may look you up to show me around. Been on the river in Silver Spring 40 years ago pretty cool. Sister lives in Port Orange and my best friend just bought a house in Punta Gorda on the cancel system. Wife is retiring from Southwest Airlines and we will have flying benefits so it would be nice to have all the airports around. Just need to find out if something like the villages is for us and what kind of costs are involved in a place like that. We live in a cool neighborhood now by a lake and all have golf carts and have a good time but it's just too busy around Dallas. Wife has said for 30 years she would never move to Florida (have no idea what changed) Anyway we have a bunch of places to check out including North Carolina, Tennessee, and a few more. Thanks for the info.
    I don’t know if your agent is with The Villages or not, but that matters when it comes to real estate here. The Villages has their own RE agents that can ONLY show you Villages homes listed with VLS (that’s what my friend does). There are pre-owned homes listed with MLS inside The Villages. All new construction is done by a Villages contractor, and those homes are sold on VLS.

The MLS agents can show you pre-owned homes listed with a “regular” agency on MLS, and of course can show new or preowned properties outside The Villages. VLS agents can only show new or pre-owned homes inside The Villages. Hope that helps a bit. A lot of people are unaware of this before visiting and wind up scrambling to find somebody available on short notice to show properties on MLS.
    -David Daye

I don’t know if your agent is with The Villages or not, but that matters when it comes to real estate here. The Villages has their own RE agents that can ONLY show you Villages homes listed with VLS (that’s what my friend does). There are pre-owned homes listed with MLS inside The Villages. All new construction is done by a Villages contractor, and those homes are sold on VLS.

The MLS agents can show you pre-owned homes listed with a “regular” agency on MLS, and of course can show new or preowned properties outside The Villages. VLS agents can only show new or pre-owned homes inside The Villages. Hope that helps a bit. A lot of people are unaware of this before visiting and wind up scrambling to find somebody available on short notice to show properties on MLS.
    Yea she's with the Villages, I asked for info on their web site, and she called the next day. Thanks for the heads up.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
    Yea she's with the Villages, I asked for info on their web site, and she called the next day. Thanks for the heads up.
    -David Daye

10. Member
    I honestly have NO IDEA why anyone would EVER want to move to the Villages. Very expensive, mostly cookie cutter, close together, crowded, both with people and traffic. BUT they are building EVERYWHERE, so there must be a lot of people that like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    I honestly have NO IDEA why anyone would EVER want to move to the Villages. Very expensive, mostly cookie cutter, close together, crowded, both with people and traffic. BUT they are building EVERYWHERE, so there must be a lot of people that like it.
    Thanks for your up-lifting post.

12. Member
    For us, to be closer to family. Wife’s job is high demand, literally nationwide. This particular job is literally a perfect fit for her, but what sealed the deal was the charter school. We toured the whole campus and it was outstanding. In talking to admins, a new campus was being built and we would be blown away if we thought what we were looking at was awesome. I mean, they had a functional TV studio for education but part of that included producing the student news shows, and a lot of home sports.

I think we’re making a wise investment in our kid, to be frank. I’m 52, he’s 6. I/we need him to become successful early to help get me into the best assisted living facility his/our money can buy. So far, he’s in accelerated 1st Grade. Reading at mid-year 3rd grade level. His math is lagging, at “just” an end of year 2nd grade level, lol. His personality suggests he really likes learning things, which is great, because if he keeps that up, he’ll be able to take full advantage of the brand new Villages High School. It’s 10min, but it really picks up around 4min in.

-David Daye

13. Member
    For us, to be closer to family. Wife’s job is high demand, literally nationwide. This particular job is literally a perfect fit for her, but what sealed the deal was the charter school. We toured the whole campus and it was outstanding. In talking to admins, a new campus was being built and we would be blown away if we thought what we were looking at was awesome. I mean, they had a functional TV studio for education but part of that included producing the student news shows, and a lot of home sports.

I think we’re making a wise investment in our kid, to be frank. I’m 52, he’s 6. I/we need him to become successful early to help get me into the best assisted living facility his/our money can buy. So far, he’s in accelerated 1st Grade. Reading at mid-year 3rd grade level. His math is lagging, at “just” an end of year 2nd grade level, lol. His personality suggests he really likes learning things, which is great, because if he keeps that up, he’ll be able to take full advantage of the brand new Villages High School. It’s 10min, but it really picks up around 4min in.

As i'm reading this I kept waiting for the punchline but now I think you're being serious so I have to ask you at what point does he get to be a kid?

14. Member
    Every day! He just happens to be smart.The school placed him in that class based on his standardized test scores. We found out on the mandatory orientation…”welcome to acccelerated 1st grade”. They do maybe a little more work than the other classes, during the school day but he doesn’t have any homework, while pretty much everybody else does. They’re just being encouraged to advance at their own pace with the reading and math.

We play catch. Drive RC cars. Swim. Fish. He plays soccer. He wanted to try dance because his only cousin (a few years older, girl) was doing it; now he’s hooked because he gets to spend a lot of time with pretty girls. He just got a Switch for Christmas so he’s into that. We build legos. He is getting a little less wild so I let him help me when I’m doing woodwork. Wish I could get him to pick up a pool cue instead of just slinging the balls around the table. Nerf dart gun wars with the neighbor kids. He’s a pretty regular socially active kid.
    -David Daye

15. Member
    The punchline was needing him for my future assisted living needs. Just means I’m an older dad

Oh, and the job is awesome for her. 7 days on, 7 off. She’s made some pretty big differences in just 3 years. Employee of the year. Has been nominated for several committees at both the hospital where she works, as well as the group that employs her, and even up at UF Health, which own The Villages Health. The hospital sent her to WI for training on how to build out new things for computer users in their electronic medical record system (Epic) as well as fix known and new issues, and they made her the hospitals assoc chief medical informatics officer. Most of the work she does for that job are done during her working week, sometimes concurrent with her “day job” and that is perfectly fine by the hospital CEO because that’s who proposed the job. Her boss and the CEO of villages health also both agree with the schedule as most of her improvements have been with their side. And that got her 18% more in pay. Yeah, she’s loving it.
    Last edited by 1781ccT; 01-29-2024 at 03:49 PM.
    -David Daye

Just got back from checking out The Villages. Man that place is something else. Have some friends that live there so we got the whole tour. You get a ton of stuff to do for almost nothing. We went by that high school and it is nice, my friend was telling me if your parents work somewhere in The Villages their kids get to go to that school for free. As of now it has moved up to the top of the list for retirement.

17. Member
    I’m glad you liked it. Residents inside The Villages have no reason or excuse to be bored. There’s literally something for everybody, with almost 2,500 clubs to pursue hobbies, interests, or activities of all kinds.

It has taken a few years for them, but my folks are finally starting to get out and be more socially active.
    -David Daye