Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Troller swap to Force, maybe......

I know this is the Garmin page but Who has gone from and Ultrex to Garmin Force?? Give me your thoughts.....

Currently have an Ultrex 24v 45", never had an issue, always works, all original parts, etc. I am entertaining the thought of swapping over......i do run all Garmin units so that would be a plus for networking...other than that, no other reason cause the Ultrex works......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I went from an Ultrex to the Force.

Pros; No cable to the foot pedal. It’s pretty quiet, brushless motor saves energy.

Cons; It’s been a PITA. Foot pedal failed. Replace by Garmin. Spot lock sucks! Constantly is moving around even in dead calm conditions. Garmin had to replace the entire assembly because when spot lock was engaged at a dead stop. The sucker would go into reverse for at least 20 ft. Then turn around and go back to the original spot. Usually blowing past the original spot. Then finally resting on the original spot. whew! Even after replacement it’s just okay. The footpedal is touchy and takes time to get used to.

Overall I like the Ultrex more.

I hope Garmin has fixed these issues. I’m ordering a new boat and I’m going with a Quest.

Just worth mentioning, spotlock on the Force got quite a bit better with the software update that came out about a month ago.
    2020 Tracker 190 TX | 115 ProXS | 4" Jackplate | Quicksilver Q4 21P Prop | Garmin Force w/MillerTech 36v-60Ah | Livescope |

YouTube - Fishing & Lithium Battery Content: https://www.youtube.com/@goodmanfishing/videos

4. Member
    I run all Garmin graphs (two 106 at console and 93, 106, and LVS34 at bow) and had to navigate this decision recently. I ultimately ended up going with the Ultrex Quest. My decision was based on:
    1. Previous positive experience running the non-Quest Ultrex.
    2. I really liked the pedal feel on the non-Quest Ultrex.
    3. I heard and watched videos that were not favorable of the wireless foot pedal feel of the Force.

The Force would have made the most sense for my setup IF it were not for the pedal feel. Without having personally ran one, I can not say 100%, but I didn't have the option nor wanted to risk it. I am 100% satisfied with the Ultrex Quest. Standing on the deck running the trolling motor all day requires a foot pedal that I like, trust, am comfortable with, etc... and to me, with the information I had at my disposal, that was the Quest.

This is a great statement "Spot lock sucks! Constantly is moving around even in dead calm conditions."

If it is dead calm out why on earth would you need spot lock on?

Spot lock is better with the 5.1 update and will continue to improve with future updates.

Garmin is a company that listens to it's customers. Their support is the best out of all the electronics manufactures.

6. Member
    I've also been thinking of getting a Force to replace my 2013 Terrova, so fortunately pedal feel can't be worse than controlling the Terrova. As for spot lock, I also can't see how it can be worse than the pre-heading sensor i-Pilot Link spot lock. Because I'm not coming from an Ultrex, my experience would be different from those who come from Ultrex or other cable-driven trolling motor. I think that someone pointed out (in another thread) that the mounting holes should be the same or similar to an Ultrex, so it helps with swapping back and forth if you decide that you don't like the Force and decide to switch back to Ultrex or get a Quest Ultrex
    1985 Skeeter SF-175 & 1985 Evinrude 150 XP (with VRO removed)

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I know this is the Garmin page but Who has gone from and Ultrex to Garmin Force?? Give me your thoughts.....

Currently have an Ultrex 24v 45", never had an issue, always works, all original parts, etc. I am entertaining the thought of swapping over......i do run all Garmin units so that would be a plus for networking...other than that, no other reason cause the Ultrex works......
    I went from an Ultrex to a force when I broke the shaft of my ultrex and the wait for parts was going to be months. Honestly, I wouldn't replace a working ultrex for a force. The force is stronger, quieter, better on batteries, way better cable management, better mount and lift assist. I also like being able to go 24V in the even that I have a battery failure.

The ultrex has better pedal feel and is a bit more "precise" when fine tune scanning with livescope, and honestly the battery life and motor performance was fine IMO. I honestly don't think replacing a working ultrex is worth the costs of buying a new force though, even though I sold my ultrex and wouldn't go back to one if that makes sense.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    This is a great statement "Spot lock sucks! Constantly is moving around even in dead calm conditions."

If it is dead calm out why on earth would you need spot lock on?

Spot lock is better with the 5.1 update and will continue to improve with future updates.

Garmin is a company that listens to its customers. Their support is the best out of all the electronics manufactures.
    The point I was making is that the Force continues to hunt even when the boat is not moving. My ultrex was much better in this regard. I have the latest updates and It did nothing to help the searching problem. Love my Garmin Electronics but the Force. Not so much.

9. Member
    Some additional input to my post above:

I went from a 24v Ultrex to a Lowrance Ghost 36v to the Ultrex Quest @ 36v. The Quest is better on battery life than the 24v Ultrex for sure and slightly better than the Ghost. I WOULD NOT run a Ghost again. Ever. Even if I had all Lowrance graphs. I might should have tried the Force but didn’t really have the option, but I couldn’t be more pleased with the Quest.

My Quest review thread:
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1246482

10. Member
    I've had all 3 (Ultrex, Force, Ghost) in the last 6 months. The Ultrex and Force were on a Vexus AVX1980 and the Ghost is on a Falcon F195. Overall, the Ultrex was good but the steering gear box failed after only 2 years of use. I put a Garmin Force on next, this had significantly more power (went from a top speed of 2.7 to 3.9 mph) but the steering was not as smooth or accurate for chasing fish on live scope and the anchor lock was terrible. No matter how I adjusted the settings I could never get it to stop hunting around and it backing up every time you engage spot lock gets old fast. Nearly ran my engine into the docks, shoreline, etc. more times that I care to admit.

Currently using a Ghost on the Falcon and other than the Force being more powerful, I would say the Ghost is superior, especially when it comes to spot lock. Personally, I would rather have an Ultrex than a Force. I don't have enough run time on the Ghost to know how it will hold up long term, but it is my favorite so far. All trolling motors have been operated on the same pair of 12V lithium batteries.
    2022 Falcon F195

11. Member
    The ultrex has better pedal feel and is a bit more "precise" when fine tune scanning with livescope . This was my experience too. Had an ultrex that went out bought a force and then sold it and went back to ultrex. YMMV but for what I do targeting open water crappie the ultrex works better for me. Scott

Love my Garmin Force. I have zero complaints with mine.

Mine doesn’t do the “backing up” like others have previously mentioned, and it also doesn’t “hunt” when anchored either. I’m betting that these are simply settings that need to be adjusted to take care of these issues.

I’ve never had an Ultrex to compare it to but I have had a fortrex and a Motorguide and there is no comparison. The Garmin out classes them by a ginormous margin.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

13. Member
    I had an Ultrex on my old Bass tracker 24vMDI Ipilot 18’ boat. My Champion came with all brand new Garmin electronics and motor. Now I have an Ultrex and Force for sale. Went with PP Move. Ultrex was great, but 24V should do a little better. Spot lock was solid. Force was great aside form the seemingly over correction in spotlock. I see the new update helps a lot. I didn’t like the navigate feature. PP Move hasn’t been in the water yet. In the end, it’s what your upset to, the waters up you fish, and how picky you are when fishing.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Thanks for all replies....these are the types of comments i was looking for.... keep them coming......

Like i mentioned, no issues with my Ultrex, just dont like the "jerkyness" of the steering but its been like that since day one.....hell the way i fish is about 1-2 times a month so, not on a troller all the time....I really want the PP Move, but i can do without due to the price unless i get some more extra money....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    Love my Garmin Force. I have zero complaints with mine.

Mine doesn’t do the “backing up” like others have previously mentioned, and it also doesn’t “hunt” when anchored either. I’m betting that these are simply settings that need to be adjusted to take care of these issues.

I’ve never had an Ultrex to compare it to but I have had a fortrex and a Motorguide and there is no comparison. The Garmin out classes them by a ginormous margin.

It’s not settings. I’ve been through them all. Friend is a beta tester for Garmin. His doesn’t have all the bad habits mine does.

16. Member
    I don't have any experience with ultrex spot lock , and luckily my comfort level in the fishing that I do now doesn't depend on spot or anchor lock.

My force has acted wildly some of the times that I have used it , so now mostly I don't .

Last time was while fishing near large bridge abutments on Shasta , hit anchor lock and force was driving me full speed near and towards the bridge .

Called Garmin adjusted settings , no difference , and was told 50ft was a normal area for AC lock to stay in . Seemed like a waste of time to use , I can manage without it .

Otherwise I like the force , I`m more used to the non cable feel of it now and I think the touchy steering has gotten better with updates . Although I don't have LVS on the force its on a turret and I can follow my bait with it fine with it , I can see if it was on the force making minute adjustments might be a problem .

I had problems bumping the motor slightly and it going into " stator out of alignment " and having to deal with correcting that , but that hasn't happened in awhile , maybe updates ?

If I was fishing looking for every edge like when I was younger I would have gone cable , but when I bought the force I wanted brushless , now the quest sound good but the extra bow weight not so much , the force and turret already have my boat bow heavy .
    Garmin would seem a for runner in gps and presumably every brand uses the same sats so I don't know what the deal is w/ ac lock but i`m hoping they will get it worked out , I just did the 5.1 update yesterday , snow melted , lake came up onto the ramp and if its not freezing may go see soon .

This is from garmin for anchor lock , 49 ft really ?

• GPS accuracy: Garmin GPS receivers are consumer grade and are accurate to within 15 meters (49 feet) 95% of the time. Generally, users will see accuracy within 5 to 10 meters (16 to 33 feet) under normal conditions. Based on the accuracy of the compass calibration this may vary
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majatk View Post
    I don't have any experience with ultrex spot lock , and luckily my comfort level in the fishing that I do now doesn't depend on spot or anchor lock.

My force has acted wildly some of the times that I have used it , so now mostly I don't .

Last time was while fishing near large bridge abutments on Shasta , hit anchor lock and force was driving me full speed near and towards the bridge .

Called Garmin adjusted settings , no difference , and was told 50ft was a normal area for AC lock to stay in . Seemed like a waste of time to use , I can manage without it .

Otherwise I like the force , I`m more used to the non cable feel of it now and I think the touchy steering has gotten better with updates . Although I don't have LVS on the force its on a turret and I can follow my bait with it fine with it , I can see if it was on the force making minute adjustments might be a problem .

I had problems bumping the motor slightly and it going into " stator out of alignment " and having to deal with correcting that , but that hasn't happened in awhile , maybe updates ?

If I was fishing looking for every edge like when I was younger I would have gone cable , but when I bought the force I wanted brushless , now the quest sound good but the extra bow weight not so much , the force and turret already have my boat bow heavy .
    Garmin would seem a for runner in gps and presumably every brand uses the same sats so I don't know what the deal is w/ ac lock but i`m hoping they will get it worked out , I just did the 5.1 update yesterday , snow melted , lake came up onto the ramp and if its not freezing may go see soon .

This is from garmin for anchor lock , 49 ft really ?

• GPS accuracy: Garmin GPS receivers are consumer grade and are accurate to within 15 meters (49 feet) 95% of the time. Generally, users will see accuracy within 5 to 10 meters (16 to 33 feet) under normal conditions. Based on the accuracy of the compass calibration this may vary
    If you spot lock under a bridge with GPS signal lost, it will do some crazy things.

I'm surprised with all the spot lock troubles with the force here. I've had an ultrex and the force and I thought if anything the force spot lock was slightly better.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    If you spot lock under a bridge with GPS signal lost, it will do some crazy things.

I'm surprised with all the spot lock troubles with the force here. I've had an ultrex and the force and I thought if anything the force spot lock was slightly better.

Thats good news you think force was better , but like others said for some reason experiences vary

I know a bridge can block gps , but in this case it was up 100- ft and gps indicator said it had signal .
    Not like a low bridge , like a roof overhead
    Gps has many sats and there not all straight up

That wasnt the first or only crazy experience with anchor lock , other times I may have only run into the bank

I like the force and have confidence Garmin engineers will do what the can to refine it , with the non military gps we have to work with
    Last edited by majatk; 01-25-2024 at 02:16 PM.
    2000 Champion 190SX
    2000 Yamaha VMAX 150
    Garmin Force
    106`s @ bow & console
    93 SV UHD 2 @ bow
    LVS 32 perspective
    LVS 34 forward
    Talon

19. Member
    I switched from Riptide Terrova to Force and at least my Force have the same spotlock issues the others have described here. Sometimes it seems to work quite good but sometimes it's totally unusable as it rotates/moves the boat with almost full speed. I have been changing the settings but haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work properly. So I really hope that the new SW will improve it as with my current style of fishing, I just cannot rely on Force at all. Oh, and Force's "magic remote" feature is also lacking a lot. Electronic compass in remote takes interference for example from smart watch or Garmin headunit so it's also totally unusable for me

20. Member
    I Put a Force on my boat last year and like all the features but too have had some anchor issues of not being as accurate. I think a good part of my problem is all my maps and GPS source from my 93SV console unit so I am probably 8' from center of my trolling motor. So with wind, currents, etc it is always kind of spinning slightly back and forth. I would think if I was just using the GPS in the head of the Force I would have less issues. Not sure if I can use the force GPS location with the maps on my console unit, I will be calling Garmin before the ice melts to see if this is possible or I may get a GPS antennae and mount it on the bow of my boat. They are supposed to be more accurate anyway.
    Todd Kress
    1993 150HP XRI 17 pitch worked Tempest Plus
    OD232323
    1993 Procraft 200 combo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast