Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Entry Level Ar's

I have been looking at several Ar's mostly entry level, Just something to play around with and plink. I want a 5.56 and the market has plenty of entry level Ar's. I have looked at PSA, Bear Creek, Great Lakes, Radikal, Andersons. Bear creek has caught my attention the most. Has anyone got any feed back they can give for the entry level Ar's. If I like the AR platform, I will build my next one and make it a custom rifle.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

2. Member
    I have two of the BCA ars one a 556 pistol and the other a 6.5 Grendel. Both have been great and shot well. I purchased complete uppers and assembled the rest myself.

3. Member
    For a first one I would recommend something like a S&W, Ruger, Wyndham, something like that so you have a warranty from a company with good CS.

With that being said PSA offers a great value. A coworker I have gone to the range some bought a few bear creek uppers in non 556 chamberings. He had short stroking with the 450 bushmaster. We opened up the gas port at the range and that thing is an incredible shooter. I have been impressed how well they shoot for being such an economy oriented offering.

4. Member
    No issues with the PSA's I own.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    For a first one I would recommend something like a S&W, Ruger, Wyndham, something like that so you have a warranty from a company with good CS.
    Agreed, however, Wyndham is closing up shop permanently as of late last year, unfortunately.

Nephew just bought a S&W for $700 with bells and whistles, I dialed it in and have zero complaints.
    I buy complete uppers and build the rest. It's like Legos for rednecks. Lots of fun.

They are really simple things, but for the money I have liked ruger and somehow even needed to send a gun in and customer service was awesome.

I don't have any 223 experience with BCA, but I did get a 243 upper from them. I read reviews and read all the negative. For the money I thought, WTH worth a try. That dude shoots 1/2" groups @ 100yds. I can't see a high dollar upper doing any better.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WillFishforBeer View Post
    Agreed, however, Wyndham is closing up shop permanently as of late last year, unfortunately.

Nephew just bought a S&W for $700 with bells and whistles, I dialed it in and have zero complaints.
    I buy complete uppers and build the rest. It's like Legos for rednecks. Lots of fun.

They were but they are back open now.

9. Member
    Thanks for the Responses, I will look and research a little more and take into account you all's responses.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

10. Banned
    I have the S&W sport AR and excepts both 223 and 556. It shoots great and is a good gun for the price. I'm on a low budget so I can't afford anything better at the moment. I would recommend it.

Ive been eyeballing The SpringField Saints. But i did see a really nice bronze great lakes today that I really like
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

12. Member
    Bought a PSA 5.56 and a 300 Blackout upper from BCA. No issues with either.

13. Member
    For those who are running BCA uppers do you prefer the side charge over the rear charge, to me if you have optics on the gun the side charge would be advantageous.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Ive been eyeballing The SpringField Saints. But i did see a really nice bronze great lakes today that I really like
    The bronze cerakote Great lakes is the one I looked at the other day, it had a good feel to it. Felt pretty balanced and comfortable to maneuver.
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    For those who are running BCA uppers do you prefer the side charge over the rear charge, to me if you have optics on the gun the side charge would be advantageous.
    side charging by far is my favorite. My last two builds have been with SC. I'll never do a RC again. Even if you don't use BCA barrels etc... you can get the SC stripped upper and build.

17. Member
    Side charging by far. It's a very debatable issue as to why the platform didn't completely evolve to side charging decades ago.

18. Member
    Side charging can be more convenient if shooting from a bench or prone. However, I would never suggest those to someone as IMO you do not want to develop muscle memory for them when all 99%+ of the ARs out there use the other system. If you buy from another brand or borrow a rifle that belongs to a friend, etc you do not want to deal with another manual of arms. Shooting/training with these kind of rifles should be taken more seriously than casual plinking IMO because you want to be as proficient as possible with their use.

Maybe if you are an AK guy and you want to have an AR those make since because it is more similar to the AK manual of arms but IMO all ARs should operate the same.

I remember when I bought my first AR I got it home and did not even know how to use the charging handle and I knew my way around firearms. Side charging is more intuitive for sure but my comments above are still valid.

Quote Originally Posted by albro1960 View Post
    I have the S&W sport AR and excepts both 223 and 556. It shoots great and is a good gun for the price. I'm on a low budget so I can't afford anything better at the moment. I would recommend it.
    I have a S&W M&P-15 Sport. Great rifle; it has the same guts as the rest of the line. Only real difference is the barrel twist is slightly better on the higher end models.

Cycles ammo like a beast and has never jammed on me - even when very hot. It's great out of the box but I swapped out some of the furniture and it made even better.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

20. Member
    All mine are Colt but I suggest not going below a S&W, Ruger, or step up to a Springfield Saint if you want to spend a little bit more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast