Underwater dock lights

Looking for suggestions. What should I buy? Freshwater. Will be on a timer and removed in the fall.

2. Member
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

3. Member
    https://underwaterfishlight.com

or if you are handy, go buy yourself a mercury vapor ballast, 175w mercury vapor bulb, plastic junction box (large enough for your ballast) 25ft (or longer) extension cord, silicone sealant ,and a 2’ pvc cap with an 1 1/4 reducer bushing. If you Google, there are instructions online, or just look at an available one.
    I have some I bought from local businesses and some I made, they both work great. There are probably 20 or more of these style lights in use on my saltwater canal. The mercury vapor bulbs seem to attract more fish than LED especially in cooler weather. The heat from the bulbs also discourages marine life and algae buildup, so the bulbs stay cleaner longer than LED.
    yes, the bulb goes under water…..
    i shall now sit back and enjoy the probable freak out from the internet safety crew. We have been using them for 12 years and they were available before that. Even the local government officials don’t seem to have a problem with them

4. Member
    Several of us on my lake use these: https://www.greenglowdocklight.com/

They do attract a lot of fish……………and fisherman!

And because of the unwanted attention I have had to remove them entirely.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 01-23-2024 at 09:29 AM.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

True about attracting fishermen. Had an underwater green light for several years (~$300 ) and went through several bulbs($70). Realized I was just doing all the work and spending $ so ten or more boats a night could fish it. Used to be just summer time but now there are night fishermen March-November. Those fish became uncatchable due to the pressure

6. Member
    We stayed at a lake house on Hartwell back in July, the owners had a green light under the dock. First night I caught 3 and one of my sons caught 1 just dropping worms down on the fish. Nothing the rest of the week, even tried live bait with no success. It was interesting for sure to see how the fish would stack up in the water, minnows at the surface, then the blue gill in the 1 - 3-foot range, and finally the bass under them. There were a couple of PIGS down there, big enough to block out most of the light when they would swim over the top of it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Larrythedane View Post
    Looking for suggestions. What should I buy? Freshwater. Will be on a timer and removed in the fall.
    Why? Ontario has such good fishing overall... Not to mention you are creating light pollution. You may also want to check local regs. Not legal in some areas of the US anyway.
    Found this in the Ontario regs book.... "In Ontario, it is illegal to:
    • use artificial lights to attract fish except when fishing for rainbow smelt, lake whitefish or lake herring (cisco) using a dip net or if the light is part of a lure attached to a line used in angling"
    Last edited by Smallie_Hawgin; 01-22-2024 at 07:44 AM.