Marine Master Trailer. What were they thinking….

Help me if I’m wrong but I’m at a loss here.

tell me why on the heaviest Triton built at the time (2008 21x2) a 2000lb hull alone would they have put it on 2450lb axels with a GVRW of 4950lbs? Once I add in my motor, TM, graphs, poles, batteries, chargers, tools and the weight of the trailer itself I’m dang near over the gvwr already. Throw in gear and tackle and I’m around 5100. Have owned it for 5 years and been blowing at least 1 hub a year. The past couple of years after adding poles, and a 3rd TM battery to get 36v system I’ve blown 2 a year and redo them more times than I can count as soon as I see anything wrong. I carry multiple hubs ready to go with an impact and jack ready to roll at all times is how much ptsd this thing has caused me! I can’t even enjoy fishing because i dont know if I’m going to make it home and back without blowing a hub. Any ideas!? Have a local shop who can make me two 3500lb axels with springs both for around $700. One with brakes and one without just like I have now. Will the trailer itself be able to handle this with new axels and springs?
    Phillipians 4:13-For I can do all things through Christ which strengthen me

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJHall11 View Post
    Help me if I’m wrong but I’m at a loss here.

tell me why on the heaviest Triton built at the time (2008 21x2) a 2000lb hull alone would they have put it on 2450lb axels with a GVRW of 4950lbs? Once I add in my motor, TM, graphs, poles, batteries, chargers, tools and the weight of the trailer itself I’m dang near over the gvwr already. Throw in gear and tackle and I’m around 5100. Have owned it for 5 years and been blowing at least 1 hub a year. The past couple of years after adding poles, and a 3rd TM battery to get 36v system I’ve blown 2 a year and redo them more times than I can count as soon as I see anything wrong. I carry multiple hubs ready to go with an impact and jack ready to roll at all times is how much ptsd this thing has caused me! I can’t even enjoy fishing because i dont know if I’m going to make it home and back without blowing a hub. Any ideas!? Have a local shop who can make me two 3500lb axels with springs both for around $700. One with brakes and one without just like I have now. Will the trailer itself be able to handle this with new axels and springs?
    5100lb rig would put 4590lb on the axles. What is actually failing on the hub? Many of the components would probably be the same on the 2450 and 3500 rated axles.

Also, I’d run away from a $350 axle. Brakes alone, which are required by law in Arkansas, will cost around $400 for an axle.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Water getting into them causing them to fail. I can take them apart after 3-4 trips and will have some water in them. I’ve tried rebuilding old hubs, new hubs, doesn’t matter. My failures haven’t been 90% on the port side.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    EZ-Lube, Bearing Buddies or what kind of hubs? Spindle sleeves?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    You will think I am nuts......but I suspect wrong type of grease. Tell me you are using a good grade of marine grease like Lucas Marine Blue!

6. Member
    I like these, have worked great on my trailer:
    https://airtighthubs.com/products/index/9
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    If the trailer itself hasn’t failed after all these years why would it with stronger axles? Good luck with what you do but the problem seems to be in the hubs.

I’ve used Lucas and quicksilver both.

Took to a Big Tex trailer shop in town who said they are going to get me going. Supposed to take everything off and apart tomorrow/Monday to diagnose. Leaving no stone left unturned even dropping axles to check for any bends, alignment, spindles straight, taking all hubs off inspecting and rebuilding if needed, etc. will be interesting to see what they come up with.

10. Member
    Your weights are pretty close I'm sure, but have you weighed your fully loaded rig on a truck scale just to verify?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJHall11 View Post
    I’ve used Lucas and quicksilver both.
    Both are good if they are MARINE. Non marine grease washes out to easily!

12. Member
    Are you 100% sure about those axles? Marine master tandem axle triton trailers had ufp 3750lb axles & vault hubs in 2008.

If you really gave 2450lb axles ….the previous owner(s) must have replaced the original axles on the cheap.

Recommend you go to the marine master website & check your vin….it will provide a parts list for you.
    Last edited by Lightning 6; 01-20-2024 at 01:20 PM.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Checked their website and the current axles were what it has on the website. Trailer was built in 07 so maybe that is why.

Quick Update:

I had 2 spindles that were bent pretty bad and one slightly bent according to the trailer shop. So my only real option was to go with new axles. Have 2 new dexter axles on order but will be about 3 weeks until they are here. They have the leaf springs rather than the torsion because if for some reason I have one go down its much easier to get another axle or parts for leaf springs rather than the torsion. Is there anything I need to do once I have the new axles installed before I tow? Does anything need to be tightened or checked regularly the first couple of tows besides just checking for heat in the hubs? Also they ordered straight axles instead of the factory drop axle. How is this going to effect my ride and how my trailer/boat sits? Thanks guys I appreciate all the feedback.

15. Member
    Are the original axles torsion axles? The problem with torsion axles is that they don’t equalize the load when the trailer is going up or down inclines or over bumps. A tandem axle spring trailer uses an equalizer that will distribute the load when going over bumps or up and down inclines. So if the torsion axles are right at their load limit and you back down a ramp, you can temporarily put all the weight of the trailer on one axle, severely over loading it, possibly causing problems like bent spindles. Same for speed bumps and curbs. In extreme cases like backing up an incline at an angle, you can put more than half the weight on one wheel. If using torsion axles they should be over speced for load to help minimize these problems.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Originals were springs and I am going back with springs

Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    Are the original axles torsion axles? The problem with torsion axles is that they don’t equalize the load when the trailer is going up or down inclines or over bumps. A tandem axle spring trailer uses an equalizer that will distribute the load when going over bumps or up and down inclines. So if the torsion axles are right at their load limit and you back down a ramp, you can temporarily put all the weight of the trailer on one axle, severely over loading it, possibly causing problems like bent spindles. Same for speed bumps and curbs. In extreme cases like backing up an incline at an angle, you can put more than half the weight on one wheel. If using torsion axles they should be over speced for load to help minimize these problems.
    Originals were springs and new ones have springs