Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

James Hardie Siding or equivalent?

Time to put new siding on the house. Looking at James Hardie. Is there something better or equivalent?

2. Member
    I have facial and soffit out of James Hardie and I really like it!

3. Member
    I used Nichiha brand. A little cheaper than Hardie.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duece22 View Post
    Time to put new siding on the house. Looking at James Hardie. Is there something better or equivalent?
    I can't answer that but just keep a bunch extra for swapping out. Can't tell you how many times I busted a piece with the lawnmower.

5. Member
    James Hardie can be very hard to work with. Stay away from Hardie pre painted siding. Tons of issues. Check out Certeenteed.

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I just installed James Hardy, a little expensive and I am on the coast so it is installed differently here to meet a 150mph wind rating. It isn’t cheap.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

7. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    14 years of Nebraska weather and it still looks great. It hold paint nicely as well. I'd do it again.

8. Member
    Hardie is good material. The key is installing it right. All cut / raw edges need coated, seal butt joints, use proper drip flashings at window / door heads, install starter trim at bottom w/ proper drip flashing and space to allow system to drain. Maintain specified clearances at grade / sidewalks. Also make sure the WRB (Tyvek) is installed properly with seal tape at windows/ doors etc. Some guys really half-azz that part and that’s where the real trouble starts.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

9. Member
    Looked hard at installing but too expensive and too many bad experiences I found researching so decided against it.

10. Member
    Thanks fellas, appreciate it. Will do some more research.

11. Member
    The last 2 houses we've redone, we put Prodigy on. It is vinyl with 1" of foam insulation attached to it. Really helped reduce noise plus added insulation.
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Your house insurance will probably be cheaper with Hardie or equivalent product.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Certainteed Weatherboard was the option we chose when building our home. In 20+ years now, not a single problem. Our builder loved the stuff and after doing our home switched from Hardie. o i
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Your house insurance will probably be cheaper with Hardie or equivalent product.
    How would that be replacement cost would be much higher?

15. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    How would that be replacement cost would be much higher?
    Fire resistance.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Do they still make aluminum siding. 40 ago we had ours done with aluminum siding that has a vinyl coating. It faded (brown) and I painted it with just house paint from HD. Still looks great. Cost me $60 to paint it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T. Hill View Post
    James Hardie can be very hard to work with. Stay away from Hardie pre painted siding. Tons of issues. Check out Certeenteed.
    I got an entire pallet of Hardie siding approx 20 years ago on clearance because it had been rejected by the home builder due to color inconsistencies. I planned to paint it anyways so made no diff to me. Put on 2 coats of SW Duration and it still looks good today (I was anal about it so I put a piece of Tyvek behind each butt joint before caulking with Geocel). Highly recommend since it's 10x better than pine clapboard.

It goes much better with two people, a nail gun, and a siding cutter if you can get one. You can use a chop saw with abrasive blade but you should wear a mask. That dust will also be hard on your saw's moving parts so consider getting a cheap sliding miter from HF and treat it as disposable.
    Some people are so judgemental. You can tell just by looking at 'em.--Some random meme

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I got an entire pallet of Hardie siding approx 20 years ago on clearance because it had been rejected by the home builder due to color inconsistencies. I planned to paint it anyways so made no diff to me. Put on 2 coats of SW Duration and it still looks good today (I was anal about it so I put a piece of Tyvek behind each butt joint before caulking with Geocel). Highly recommend since it's 10x better than pine clapboard.

It goes much better with two people, a nail gun, and a siding cutter if you can get one. You can use a chop saw with abrasive blade but you should wear a mask. That dust will also be hard on your saw's moving parts so consider getting a cheap sliding miter from HF and treat it as disposable.
    SW Duration is really good, we painted our concrete siding before it was installed including the butt ends after it was cut, then a second coat on the house. Still looking good after 20 years.
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

19. Member
    Hardie siding has a 30 year warranty but LP smart side has a 50 year warranty and is less expensive.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    Hardie siding has a 30 year warranty but LP smart side has a 50 year warranty and is less expensive.
    We had LP put on a two story garage just over a year ago and it looks great, far easier to work with than Hardie.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast