Thread: Shipping

Shipping

Sorry if this doesn't belong here but new to rods for sale board. How do you guys ship rods and how much is shipping in a plastic rod tube? Do you Fed Ex, USPS? Sorry I just haven't shipped rods before. Thanks

2. Member
    Use pirate ship. Usually $25-$30 make sure to add the insurance

3. Member
    USPS is the cheapest I have found lately. Almost not worth the cost to ship used anymore. Shipping from WA, 7'6" rod to AZ, $45. 7' rod to TX, $40. Never ship without insurance.

4. Member
    I just shipped a rod a couple weeks ago. 2” pvc tube with glued on end cap and plastic test plug on other end. USPS $26 with ins. KY to FL. Make sure it’s under 8’ in length.

5. Member
    Not here man...I shipped a 7'6" Luxxe Efreet a few months ago in a 3" PVC that was measured at 92" long. USPS quoted me $248 and UPS was $531. I finally went to a FedEx and shipped it for a little over $67.

The address was a P.O. Box in Palo Cedro, CA., FWIW.

6. Member
    Go to a carpet or flooring place and ask for the old tubes the stuff comes on. They should gladly give you some. Cut them down to length you need. You will have to make end caps out of a cardboard box and tape them on, but they work great. I have been shipping with them for years.

Pirate ship is fantastic for rates and shipping anything, or Ebay is not too bad now that they have reduced their rates and added USPS ground shipping.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuts9 View Post
    Go to a carpet or flooring place and ask for the old tubes the stuff comes on. They should gladly give you some. Cut them down to length you need. You will have to make end caps out of a cardboard box and tape them on, but they work great. I have been shipping with them for years.

Pirate ship is fantastic for rates and shipping anything, or Ebay is not too bad now that they have reduced their rates and added USPS ground shipping.
    I'll have to look up Pirate Shipping, because those two quotes I got from USPS and UPS were absurd and retarded...and the employees were very smug and showed no empathy or care to double check their work. It was like "do you still want to ship or not?".

Van - I have no idea how you could have gotten a quote that high, even with a balloon charge. Rods 8' in length have a huge balloon charge, so it must have been the way they calculated the overall dimensions. Employee error I'd suspect there.

I've shipped a lot of rods over the years. In my experience, USPS may be the least expensive option but they VERY rarely pay a claim if damage occurs, and have a higher incidence of damage than either Fed Ex or UPS. The Tackle Trap ships all rods via UPS fully insured in case of damage during transit. UPS has proven to be the most reliable in terms of tracking, accuracy in tracking, and paying claims when they occur, as infrequently as that is with them. Unfortunately, the average cost to ship rods has increased significantly across the board, UPS included.

9. Member
    Have been there, they don't know how to measure and don't care - very smug indeed. They also get in trouble if they measure incorrectly so rather than train them, they just make numbers up to make sure they aren't low. I found that UPS was doubling the tube diameter. I switched to Pirate Ship and saved $30-$50 regularly when I was able to measure it accurately and correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    I'll have to look up Pirate Shipping, because those two quotes I got from USPS and UPS were absurd and retarded...and the employees were very smug and showed no empathy or care to double check their work. It was like "do you still want to ship or not?".

10. Member
    Make sure you use bubble wrap over the tip section and tape that tip section to the side of the tube so the rod does not move up and down.

11. Member
    I keep the used tubes when I buy rods online and recycle them. I will use UPS and insure but have not tried FedEx and will look into Pirate.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Real L View Post
    Make sure you use bubble wrap over the tip section and tape that tip section to the side of the tube so the rod does not move up and down.
    I wrap every single guide, than put the rod in the sleeve it came in or I will provide one, and I then anchor the butt end and mark the tube as fragile and DO NOT CONVEY up and down the length. I also mark the bottom of the tube of where to open and pull the anchor line to get the rod out.

Yep..better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by dragon1; 01-16-2024 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Van - I have no idea how you could have gotten a quote that high, even with a balloon charge. Rods 8' in length have a huge balloon charge, so it must have been the way they calculated the overall dimensions. Employee error I'd suspect there.

I've shipped a lot of rods over the years. In my experience, USPS may be the least expensive option but they VERY rarely pay a claim if damage occurs, and have a higher incidence of damage than either Fed Ex or UPS. The Tackle Trap ships all rods via UPS fully insured in case of damage during transit. UPS has proven to be the most reliable in terms of tracking, accuracy in tracking, and paying claims when they occur, as infrequently as that is with them. Unfortunately, the average cost to ship rods has increased significantly across the board, UPS included.
    Without a doubt, neither USPS or UPS had a clue...and none of the employees would get a manager to double check their calculations. The UPS employee told me straight up that when the UPS system has to send to a PO Box, that it "just makes up a number".

Yeah, it was a clown show...almost as bad as witnessing Congress in action.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heelamonster View Post
    Have been there, they don't know how to measure and don't care - very smug indeed. They also get in trouble if they measure incorrectly so rather than train them, they just make numbers up to make sure they aren't low. I found that UPS was doubling the tube diameter. I switched to Pirate Ship and saved $30-$50 regularly when I was able to measure it accurately and correctly.
    Is Pirate Ship an app or is it a site I can access on my laptop? Where do I take the tube after getting the quote and shipping label from Pirate Ship?

15. Member
    I avoid shipping/buying rods because too many bad things can happen and even if insured, its a pain in the ass to get reinbursed for your loss.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Is Pirate Ship an app or is it a site I can access on my laptop? Where do I take the tube after getting the quote and shipping label from Pirate Ship?
    i use pirate ship all the time whenever I mail something. They're basically a middleman for UPS, FEDEX, USPS, ETC. They show you the lowest prices and you buy the shipping label directly from them. Then you can either drop it off yourself or schedule a pickup (sometimes for a fee).

You would think that by being a middleman, the prices should be higher but that's usually never the case.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chode View Post
    i use pirate ship all the time whenever I mail something. They're basically a middleman for UPS, FEDEX, USPS, ETC. They show you the lowest prices and you buy the shipping label directly from them. Then you can either drop it off yourself or schedule a pickup (sometimes for a fee).

You would think that by being a middleman, the prices should be higher but that's usually never the case.
    Kool, I'll look them up. Yeah, seems like the scalping here is at the ticket counter?!? Lol.

Evidently the hourly wage or cost of employees makes up the difference of the higher shipping costs?

18. Member
    I always keep my original rod tubes/sleeves. I've shipped many rods, I usually use Pirate Ship also for my packages. When you take a rod tube to USPS they always want to measure it like you are an idiot and don't know what you are doing, keep it under 108" total of length/circumference/girth it will ship USPS.

19. Member
    Yaaarrr and Shiver Me Timbers!

Yeah, those that know, already know. Just completed my first Pirate Ship label to send my Daiwa Certate 2510R-PE to White, GA for a full service and the shipping label with $200 insurance was about 40% less than USPS direct.

WOW.

20. Member
    Curious about UPS, I shipped out on 4/24/24 Wed 2-day air and it still takes five days to get to its location? I also learned that UPS doesn't deliver on the weekends, so 2-day is worthless unless you ship on Monday-Tueaday?

Any input?