Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    You mean like your buddy Zuckerberg did with Facebook? Or the old Twitter?
    They have never controlled anything but obvious lies. There are many places that allow those to be posted. You can even have your own website where you can say anything your like.

P01135809

2. Member
    The one good thing here is the program is a fishing club with a few spots for 2 students to fish a tournament. None of them are very good. But it’s another way to get some kids, especially the awkward ones that don’t fit in anywhere else, to have a reason to be connected to high school. A lady gym teacher runs it. She also runs a special needs sports program and she combines the two groups for bank fishing outings. It, and she, are amazing. I’ve seen the couple kids who can fish, hook a fish with a jig and run over and hand it off to someone who has never caught a fish. That makes it easy to give money, baits, rods and be a captain and tell her to keep the gas money offered.

That wonderful lady is Ms. Barker of L.C. Bird high school in central VA. Amazing human.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

3. Member
    So am I reading this correctly. The original issue was the sponsors were getting equal treatment even though there were different sponsor levels? I assume being this was involving $$ there was a contract detailing??? IF not did the sponsors ever have an issue with such?

Maybe its been answered already and i missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    The one good thing here is the program is a fishing club with a few spots for 2 students to fish a tournament. None of them are very good. But it’s another way to get some kids, especially the awkward ones that don’t fit in anywhere else, to have a reason to be connected to high school. A lady gym teacher runs it. She also runs a special needs sports program and she combines the two groups for bank fishing outings. It, and she, are amazing. I’ve seen the couple kids who can fish, hook a fish with a jig and run over and hand it off to someone who has never caught a fish. That makes it easy to give money, baits, rods and be a captain and tell her to keep the gas money offered.

That wonderful lady is Ms. Barker of L.C. Bird high school in central VA. Amazing human.

In my opinion, that is what high school fishing clubs should be about; learning about fish and developing the skills and knowledge to catch them.

Save the tournaments and competition for later in life.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonPhoenix View Post
    Could it be that high school fishing really isnt good for the sport? We did it for 2 years and it was just silly all the drama. I ended up thinking you would be better off just having your kid fish with you if he was that interested in tournament fishing.
    Im on my 4th year and being on a board of the team. Its still my opinion that the good outweighs the bad by a good margin but there will definitely need to be some regulation or something to tone it down soon. The industry loves it because of the sales it generates selling "the dream" which also points to why they cancel guys that talk bad about the reality of the sport but thats a different topic. It does need to get back to more of a fun fishing type deal and get the money out of it. It still gets more kids in the outdoors that wouldnt be than anything else but if my kid was any type of serious about tournament fishing, i would just fish with them in real events. Heres the biggest thing in high school events, THE CAPTAINS, the ones with the ringers for captains always win, and then you have captains teaching horrible etiquette on the water. Of course theres no way to eliminate that though

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisonPhoenix View Post
    Could it be that high school fishing really isnt good for the sport? We did it for 2 years and it was just silly all the drama. I ended up thinking you would be better off just having your kid fish with you if he was that interested in tournament fishing.
    Don't most trails have an age limit unless fishing with a parent and how would that work if set up as draw tourneys. Probably would be some issue with a dad/son team always fishing together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Don't most trails have an age limit unless fishing with a parent and how would that work if set up as draw tourneys. Probably would be some issue with a dad/son team always fishing together.

Most team events around here allow your kid to fish with you as your partner. Only real regional draw trail here are BFLs.

Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I did a lot of volunteer work after retirement. I was on the board of a volunteer fire department and on various committees that I was head of in church. It didn’t take me long to realize that volunteers are not necessarily qualified for their positions and the less qualified the bigger the ego. In the corporate world, unqualified people can be trained or fired. Not so with volunteers.
    This is an accurate statement. I tried the local VFD, they yelled at each other and talked behind each others back all the time. No thanks.
    Mike Wright '07 Ranger 520vx
    Henrico Va./Henrico NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So am I reading this correctly. The original issue was the sponsors were getting equal treatment even though there were different sponsor levels? I assume being this was involving $$ there was a contract detailing??? IF not did the sponsors ever have an issue with such?

Maybe it’s been answered already and i missed it.
    There is a very detailed sponsor level that was signed in an agreement as a contract. I was preforming the media post accordingly to the agreements. Everyone was very happy and the program is thriving. The real issue here the team has a very power /credit hungry head coach that wants credit for everyone else’s work so he could hold the spotlight on himself and say look at me and what I’ve done with the team. By constantly editing the post his name was getting put on everything. He’s trying to add to his resume as he also works in the fishing industry.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by red devil View Post
    There is a very detailed sponsor level that was signed in an agreement as a contract. I was preforming the media post accordingly to the agreements. Everyone was very happy and the program is thriving. The real issue here the team has a very power /credit hungry head coach that wants credit for everyone else’s work so he could hold the spotlight on himself and say look at me and what I’ve done with the team. By constantly editing the post his name was getting put on everything. He’s trying to add to his resume as he also works in the fishing industry.
    Okay I see.. Yeah breaking contracts is a sorta issue. I guess I was taking it as a more hey wanna help out sorta sponsor deal.

Yeah my reading comprehension skills lack at times :)

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Okay I see.. Yeah breaking contracts is a sorta issue. I guess I was taking it as a more hey wanna help out sorta sponsor deal.

Yeah my reading comprehension skills lack at times :)
    The contracts are something I take very seriously and along with that I have a major issue posting a highlight post for say a roofing company being the best and then in the same post tagging another roofing company. The bigger sponsors have already started showing their disgust for the constant tagging of all 30 sponsors when some of them are merely a discount code without any real cash donation and others have paid a lot of money for the sponsorship.

12. Member
    I have become really turned off on high school competitive fishing. It seems the people who have the income and ability to take a bunch of time off, do the best with their kid. I have fished this Delta for 61 years, and have done really well in tournaments over the years. I do not know how these guys are getting my number, but the would call out of the blue . They wanted me to give them detailed info , or go out with them...because some type of qualifying tournament was taking place around here. I finally changed my number. I would advise them to let the boy go out and learn some things about water, tides , weather, techniques. Let the boy progress by doing...not by getting info from somebody. They all got pissed.

13. Member
    [QUOTE=HarrisonPhoenix;13328087]Could it be that high school fishing really is'nt good for the sport? We did it for 2 years and it was just silly all the drama. I ended up thinking you would be better off just having your kid fish with you if he was that interested in tournament fishing.[/QUOTE I'm a high school angler and i can see where your coming with this but one of the many benefits is getting your name out for sponsors and collages if you want to fish for a college team and then after that an entry level cup like the opens or the toyota series.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPaPaw View Post
    Welcome to social media. The worst thing that’s happened to the human species in a 100 years.
    not gonna say your wrong with that one!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post

In my opinion, that is what high school fishing clubs should be about; learning about fish and developing the skills and knowledge to catch them.

Save the tournaments and competition for later in life.
    100%. I still struggle with how going out and fishing with Dads loaded boat with a bunch of waypoints he found (or bought / begged for) is really teaching kids much of anything. Make it 4 hour kayak or Jon boat tournaments. In my opinion it’s kind of like starting a kid in nascar before they even started racing go - karts.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

16. Member
    Personally, I am done will helping the HS bass kids. Most of the ones around here are entitled little s**ts that act like they are doing you a favor when you help them with money, baits, etc. Had one get mad because he wanted me to pay his entry fee's for the privilege of sponsoring him? Told him to get a job a pay his own entry fees like everyone else.

Allen

17. Member
    Big high school tournament coming up this weekend on the lake I fish. Had two calls from parents wanting me to tell them where and how to catch fish. I was a big supporter of the high school events early but the negatives have really turned me off in the past year. Had a captain last year having his kids get off the boat and onto a dock to try to catch a fish on the bed. I called the tournament director and reported him. Same guy blew through a no wake zone. I've just seen too many instances of really bad behavior that has soured me.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Seems pretty intense for a high school team.
    haha....no doubt, too much crap

There is such a misguided stigma attached to losing and it's having a negative effect on a lot of things. It's gotten to where instead of relying on your skills and abilities to compete, it's people looking for any little loopholes in the rules to exploit ("where does it explicitly say in the rules I can't use explosives?") ... Everyone likes to say they're all for integrity and honesty until they're affected by it in a negative way and then all bets are off. People are like electricity, they take the path of least resistance. It's one reason fishing will never be taken seriously as a "sport" on the level of golf which has a fairly strict code of ethics. There are exceptions but until the yahoos, frauds and fakers are weeded out and shown for what they are, it's going to be a fringe activity. I've never seen a polygraph test administered after a golf tournament
    Ranting incoherently

Sorry to hear that. My district has kicked around the idea of starting a bass fishing team. I've told the AD, who knows I'm an avid fisherman and would be great at starting and running a program, that I'll be an assistant coach and I'll use my boat BUT I want nothing to do with fundraising, jerseys, websites, promoting the team, and basically anything that doesn't directly relate to fishing. I don't care about getting paid (sponsors and coaches get a stipend for their time). I just want to show up to practice and teach kids how to fish.
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast