Thread: Baitcasters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    The only baitcasters I put anything less than 20lb braid on are my BFS reels. Everything else is 20lb+. Still have a 1000 yard spool of Trilene that is older than the last two boats and still spool at least a couple layers first as braid does not have a good gripping strength.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    First mistake is taking advice from Reddit
    Yeppers, 100%.

As well, 40lb braid is overkilled for most bass techs. Generally 20-30 is acceptable for ML - H combos. 40lb + is usually on my XHeavy combos or fishing frogs and heavier 1.25oz + baits.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Use the leftover line off your filler spools to back your reels before filling with the primary line. There’s always a little left over after you fill a couple of reels. Or buy some cheap 12# to 14# mono line to use.
    Here’s a great chart to give some ideas on the ideal line for different techniques. http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/
    As for preferred lines these are what I’ve had success with.
    Sufix 832 braid
    Sunline Sniper FC fluorocarbon
    Sunline Super Natural monofilament
    Thanks for the info. I’m not a big bass fisherman. I don’t use different reels for flipping or frogging. I have an idea on the frogging but flipping I have no idea what that means. 🤣 I just fish for fun but I do want to learn a baitcaster. The easier the better. Thank you all for the help.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    First mistake is taking advice from Reddit
    🤣 I was expecting that. I didn’t ask for their advice. I was just reading. This was the first place I came. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by mperry View Post
    Thanks for the info. I’m not a big bass fisherman. I don’t use different reels for flipping or frogging. I have an idea on the frogging but flipping I have no idea what that means. 藍 I just fish for fun but I do want to learn a baitcaster. The easier the better. Thank you all for the help.
    Out of curiosity, what bait caster are you using? Technology has come a long way these days and some reels are VERY user friendly and well built at the same time.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Out of curiosity, what bait caster are you using? Technology has come a long way these days and some reels are VERY user friendly and well built at the same time.
    It’s a cheap one I bought off of Amazon. It is a Yoshikawa ER200.

7. Member
    How much mono should you use?
    I use enough backing so that the reel will fill up with about a 100 yds of whatever line I'm using for that reel. I also use a line counter to achieve this. If I buy a 200 yd. spool, I can fill my reel twice.

8. Member
    I have 10lb mono and 17lb mono here. So I would be better off using the 17lb?

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Doesn't really matter. You'll get a smaller knot between the braid and the mono with the 10 but you'll use more line.

Whatever one you choose, put a piece of electrical tape over the knot so the tag ends of the knot won't catch your line when you start bombing casts and getting deeper into the spool.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Doesn't really matter. You'll get a smaller knot between the braid and the mono with the 10 but you'll use more line.

Whatever one you choose, put a piece of electrical tape over the knot so the tag ends of the knot won't catch your line when you start bombing casts and getting deeper into the spool.
    Thanks for all the info given. Definitely helps. I’ll try to stay away from Reddit! ��

Maybe it's for a Frog rod
    Most people use 50-60# braid
    And there's a trend these days to use lighter 30#

12. Member
    Really? Again I just read this off of Reddit. I took no advice and didn’t ask questions. �� I’m pretty sure most were saying 40lb at the least. So I’ve got the reel spooled. I used 10lb backing mono and 30lb braid. Would this be a good combo for a beginner? Also how light of a lure do you use with this? Sorry so many questions.

13. Member
    I use 17# mono with 40# braid.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Really? Again I just read this off of Reddit. I took no advice and didn’t ask questions. �� I’m pretty sure most were saying 40lb at the least. So I’ve got the reel spooled. I used 10lb backing mono and 30lb braid. Would this be a good combo for a beginner? Also how light of a lure do you use with this? Sorry so many questions.
    25 years ago when I first started "bass" fishing, I started using 30# Power Pro. I had constant trouble with the line digging into the spool causing a cut it out and go home backlash. Also, I would fight the 30# getting looped around the rod tip. Someone suggested going with a heavier braid so I went up to 50# and then settled on 65# as the easiest to work with. When I'm fishing with braid, I'm fishing in dirty water and heavy cover or timber where line visibility is not an issue. I hate a leader on braid on a baitcaster and see no need it it. If the water is that clear and no cover...use straight fluorocarbon in the appropriate size. I hate the knot in the spool that will put a sore on your thumb after a day of casting with it.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    This will be just fine for starters, don't overthink it but rather get on the water to test.

In so far as how light this combo will cast...that's an even more loaded question than your original one, lol. Those variables are based upon rod, lure weight/aeros, end user abilities and the reel settings.

Get on the water, and test with the typical lures you intend to use in say 3/8-3/4 oz and you'll get at least a fundamental baseline of how to set up the tension knob a s braking profile on that baitcaster.

16. Member
    I’ve used 30lb and 40lb Samurai braid for frogging interchangeably since Gary(thanks Gary) turned me on to it a handful of years ago.
    Red Sox in 6!

What the hell is Reddit?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    I use Trilene 12# on all reels as backing. Have been changing out to Sufix 832 for all braid as it works better for me than PowerPro. Most is 20-30 lb braid vice the frog rods and flipping rods then it usually is 50-65lb test. The leaders vary in flouro with 12-14lb being the norm.

Sure,
    That's one way and there are others

If you starting out, 10-12# mono is hard to beat for learning to throw a bait casters
    as far as no less then 40#, It sounds right for a Frog rod

20. Member
    Always mono backing then #30 Sufix 131 braid… If you have not tried the 131 braid, your missing out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast