Battery Hold Down

I have a question so I don't mess up really bad. I have a 2003 XB21 2+2 and i'm moving my 2 troll motor batteries to the left side rear compartment. Do I put them to the back or front in the compartment? Now for the important question, How long of a screw should be used to mount the battery hold down's so I don't run a screw right through the bottom of the boat? The hold downs I have take 4 screws each to mount the bottom.
    Thank's for the help.

2. Member
    If using screws, keep them short with approximately 1/2" of protrusion below the compartment floor surface. Also be careful when drilling pilot holes for any screws, as the compartment floor is close to the bottom of the hull. I recommend using fully enclosed battery boxes with a small ratchet strap around the box to secure the lid. My battery boxes are currently not screwed down, but rather sit on a rubber backed piece of carpet that is fitted to the compartment.

XB21 Battery Boxes.jpg
    Last edited by PSM207; 01-15-2024 at 10:23 AM.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

3. Member
    PSM207 that is good idea, do you have any problems with the batteries moving around in rough water, not that i go out when it's rough just curious. Every once and a while Lake Okeechobee can get rough when you are out.

4. Member
    I've not had any issues with the batteries moving around. My initial plan is to secure them after I run the boat to test things out. I also have high amperage connectors to allow for a safe and simple removal if needed. The battery box in the picture is a group 27, with another one located in the starboard compartment. I also have a group 31 in an enclosed box within the fuel tank compartment.
    Last edited by PSM207; 01-15-2024 at 10:25 AM.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

I would attach the battery to the bottom of the boat and use as many screws as you can. It is not safe to run with batteries that are not secured to the bottom of the boat. The battery in my Stratos was only secured down with 4 screws and not well. It burst right out of the compartment and flew around the boat and ended up on the nose when I hit something. I was lucky it didn't hit me.

It is common to do one in front and one in the far back. My new boat came rigged that way. I personally like all mine in the front of the compartment. Are they lithium or AGM/lead?
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    I would attach the battery to the bottom of the boat and use as many screws as you can. It is not safe to run with batteries that are not secured to the bottom of the boat. The battery in my Stratos was only secured down with 4 screws and not well. It burst right out of the compartment and flew around the boat and ended up on the nose when I hit something. I was lucky it didn't hit me.

It is common to do one in front and one in the far back. My new boat came rigged that way. I personally like all mine in the front of the compartment. Are they lithium or AGM/lead?

7. Member
    The batteries are group 29 deep cycle lead acid.

8. Member
    Ditto on fastening your batteries down as well as you can. I saw a Stroker that hit some big waves, and the battery came through the back of the boat and was hanging by the battery cables.

9. Member
    FWIW, I do plan on hard mounting the batteries once I've found the optimum location. I also have tackle, tools and cold storage in both rear compartment, all of which needs to be balanced out. I've fabricated aluminum frames which will be secured to the floor and the boxes will strap to the aluminum frames.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

10. BBC SPONSOR
    The rear compartments are designed to be screwed into, there is a gap between the compartment and the bottom of the boat. The factory configuration for the 2+2 is for the cranking battery to be in the center compartment in front of the gas tank and then the rear port compartment has a trolling battery mounted in the front and the other in the rear. Use 3/4" to 1" screws and you will be just fine.

We rig our new boats a little differently but most all of our customers are going lithium now days.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    The rear compartments are designed to be screwed into, there is a gap between the compartment and the bottom of the boat. The factory configuration for the 2+2 is for the cranking battery to be in the center compartment in front of the gas tank and then the rear port compartment has a trolling battery mounted in the front and the other in the rear. Use 3/4" to 1" screws and you will be just fine.

We rig our new boats a little differently but most all of our customers are going lithium now days.
    Tim - I greatly appreciate your input and expertise. Thanks!
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

12. BBC SPONSOR
    You're welcome.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

13. Member
    Thank you very much Tim Powell, that is the exact information I was looking for. I was really worried about running screws through the bottom of the boat but now I feel more confident that I won't mess up and screw through the bottom.
    Thanks again

14. Member
    I once watched a stroker sink when it hooked and launched the batteries thru the rear fiberglass. I believe the owner has used rtv or some similar adhesive on those batteries. They become a missile in an accident......

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The5thDutton View Post
    I once watched a stroker sink when it hooked and launched the batteries thru the rear fiberglass. I believe the owner has used rtv or some similar adhesive on those batteries. They become a missile in an accident......

He must’ve watched to many flex tape/flex seal commercials, lol.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by sfstorm View Post
    Thank you very much Tim Powell, that is the exact information I was looking for. I was really worried about running screws through the bottom of the boat but now I feel more confident that I won't mess up and screw through the bottom.
    Thanks again

You're welcome!
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X