Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    there are so many good small lake that do not get beat up. Love the Tyler area but Tyler traffic is bad..

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoccerBoy2003 View Post
    there are so many good small lake that do not get beat up. Love the Tyler area but Tyler traffic is bad..
    Is there a small town outside of Tyler that might be less crowded , but still get me on the water fishing inside 15 minutes?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Is there a small town outside of Tyler that might be less crowded , but still get me on the water fishing inside 15 minutes?
    Look in the Bullard or Whitehouse areas.
    2014 920/SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post

You don't want to live inside city limits of Tyler. The infrastructure is behind traffic wise.

5. Member
    Spent a night there in December. Nice place, recommend FD's Grillhouse as a great place to eat. My BIL has a place on Lake Palestine, about 30 minutes away from Tyler. You can be at Lake Fork in an hour or so I would guess. I saw they have a VA clinic there as well. It's got all you need without the big city traffic. There are a lot of toll roads around the place too.

Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    9 grand a year for property taxes day um.
    In Houston a house with a market value of 490K is $7046 property tax. $350k is around $4500. If over 65 it takes a big plunge

P01135809

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin_7 View Post
    I'd move to Tyler in a heart beat!

Truth be told however, if we end up in Texas it will be within the circle of; New Braunfels, Boerne, Hondo, Pleasanton.

You'll love it in Texas.

I live in Boerne, you do NOT want to move here. We have become a suburb of San Antonio, but we don’t have the roads to support the traffic. Absolute Nightmare at school times. These new subdivisions going in have “special districts”, where they add the infrastructure cost as a form of tax. With many people in the new subdivisions, their taxes are in excess of $12k with the MUD tax added in. New Braunsfuls is a nightmare too. Hondo & Pleasanton are growing, but not too bad yet.

Kerrville is nice.

We live in Denton County, have 2.5 acres, property taxes are $12K a yr.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    I lived in Tyler in the 80's and it was a nice smaller town then but it's growing now. Some of the best bass fishing in the country close by in all directions so the fishing will be great. Yes it gets hot here but remember you can fish year round. Property taxes might be a little high but remember you have no state income tax here so things like groceries are tax free. As far as housing, the market is in shambles right now so it may be a good idea to rent for awhile and let the market stabilize and interest rates come down some. Since you're used to the cold you can always run right down the road to Martin Creek Lake in the winter and since it's a power plant lake the water will be warm so the fishing should be good. If you get an opportunity to move there I envy you, I was born in Shreveport Louisiana and moved to DFW in the 90's and got stuck in this giant asphalt jungle because of work. Now I'm doing my best to get ready to retire in the east Texas/Tyler area one day. I'm doing my best to get out of this rat race here in Dallas....
    By chance when you lived there, do you remember a country band called the Debonairs? Met them in Nashville during the Wrangler Counry Showdown, became acquaintances with them back in the 80's. Great bunch of guys and a very talented band.

Remember, we have no state income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    We live in Denton County, have 2.5 acres, property taxes are $12K a yr.
    But what is the property value? My ex boss lives in University Place in a house with a market value of $1,075,000 and his taxes are $9,076.40 a year. He is over 65. His neighbor not over 65 pays $15,916 on a value of $1,275,000

P01135809

If I wanted to be near Tyler, but not in Tyler and wanted to be close to lots of fishing I'd move to Mineola...

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    But what is the property value? My ex boss lives in University Place in a house with a market value of $1,075,000 and his taxes are $9,076.40 a year. He is over 65. His neighbor not over 65 pays $15,916 on a value of $1,275,000
    $932K is our "Total Market Value."
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Remember, we have no state income tax.
    Does most of these property taxes go to the local schools or to the state?

15. Member

Most is to the school, which sucks if you have no kids. Of course they have to build really fancy schools too, can’t have those little babies going to a normal building.

16. Member
    Schools, where I’m at in the boonies my kids graduating classes had less than ten students and not a gas station for 30 miles. Literally a school in the middle of a ranching community, not even a blinking light.

17. Member
    One other thing to consider about Tyler are shopping ...... ask my wife, really nice selection of restaurants and they have some of the best medical facilities around. I live a couple of hours away in Hemphill and have gone there several times for special medical treatment that I could not get anywhere else but Houston.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

18. Member
    Live CLOSE to Tyler, not IN Tyler. Where depends on you.
    Proverbs 3: 5&6

19. Member
    They used to have a really cool place called The Time Out. Bout all I know about Tyler.

20. Member
    My grandparents had a few hundred acres in Reece, TX. I can’t find his old farm pond, or most of his buddy’s ponds back when he was still alive (skin cancer got him when I was about 9-10, about 1980), so I’m sure much has changed. But there used to be a bunch of little stocked farm ponds that could be a lot of fun if you had permission. It still appears super rural at the south end of Palestine. Per Google, it’s about 40min to the center of Tyler.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast