Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hash house harriers

Forgive me if this has been topic before, did a search to no avail.

Any one ever run a hash? I used to and had a blast but to old to be competitive now. They call themselves beer drinkers with a running problem. We'd meet every Wednesday night and sometimes on Saturday. Two or three "hares" would leave 10-15 minutes early and mark the trail with special markings to provide a clue where the potential trail would lead to the finish line. The object was to catch the hates or be the first runner back.

Wednesday's would be 3-5 miles, Saturday was 5-10 miles. My hash had some serious runners and it was a friendly race every time. The trails might lead through city streets or someone's farm. The object was to to run fast of course but also use your head to figure out where they were planning to end up so that you don't take unnecessary wrong turns.

I will say that I visited several cities to run with other hashes and many, if not most were more into drinking than running.

I was talking with a couple runners tonight and it reminded me of my time in the hash.

Any other old or current hashers out there?

2. Member
    I was a pretty serious runner, was asked to do one by a friend. We ran it together and had a good time. Afterwards the head guy kept pushing me to sit on a block of ice sans shorts because it was my first run. I told him no thanks, he kept pushing and pushing, never been back because of his “your a new guy and must do as I say” attitude.

This group was way more interested in the beer drinking part.

I've never heard of doing this. I guess it's true that you're never too old to learn something new.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    I was a pretty serious runner, was asked to do one by a friend. We ran it together and had a good time. Afterwards the head guy kept pushing me to sit on a block of ice sans shorts because it was my first run. I told him no thanks, he kept pushing and pushing, never been back because of his “your a new guy and must do as I say” attitude.

The "Head" guy crap was what kept me from joining any group. I ran/jogged for myself not for some jughead who thought HE was in charge.

I ran one once after being invited by a buddy. I thought it was a cool concept going in. But the folks in that hash were trespassing through people’s yards along the route and that was not cool IMHO. Then the post race beer drinking games and other stuff Roncat talked about sealed the deal for me. I never went back. I’m pretty much not a “joiner” anyway plus, I don’t need to play games to drink.

The hashing part would be a fun deal as long as the trespassing thing wasn’t involved. That may have just been that particular group though.

6. Bob G's pool boy
    Okinawa H3. I'm not sharing my Hash name. Super Hare. 100 runs in 18 months. We were very active and very well organized. Depending on the crowd, it is very much a drinking club with a running problem and the rituals are not for everyone.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

7. Member
    I have never heard of this, and have no idea what you’re talking about. Lol

8. Member
    They had organizations at most military bases. I have seen them in Japan, Korea, and the Philippines. They used to dress up in weird colors to run. Looked like they really enjoyed themselves.

9. Member
    They had organizations at most military bases. I have seen them in Japan, Korea, and the Philippines. They used to dress up in weird colors to run. Looked like they really enjoyed themselves. This was back in the 80s and the popularity seems to have dropped off quite a bit over the years.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post

Yeah, can't say as I blame you. New guy ritual in the one I was in was that the person that invited you would tell some embarrassing story(s) about you. From there it would become something of a roast and your hash name was chosen based upon the stories and the direction the roasting went. We had a good bunch. Never saw anyone breaking any laws either.

A little bit different "sanctioned" run I did a couple times that I thought were fun was the Marine Corp Mud Runs. Through the woods, across or down the middle of a creek, no telling what, and ending in a mud pit you had to wallow through to get to the finish line.

The only Hash I know about was the type you smoke. I helped a carpet installer on weekends years ago and we'd start the day at 7-11 for coffee and a quick bite. Before leaving the parking lot he would ask me if I wanted an Omelette. I asked what kind he was talking about and he said Hash and Pot mixed together. I don't know how he could measure cut and install a perfect job every time. Them beer runs sound like a good time though.

12. Member
    My college Room Mates dad was a major Hippie back in the day and was obsessed with Harrier races, it was the first I had heard of it but from what he would tell us it was way more about the drinking and social scene than running even though his dad was very into running.

13. Bob G's pool boy
    Quote Originally Posted by pureoil313 View Post
    My college Room Mates dad was a major Hippie back in the day and was obsessed with Harrier races, it was the first I had heard of it but from what he would tell us it was way more about the drinking and social scene than running even though his dad was very into running.
    If you take it too seriously and are labeled a FRB (front running bastard), there may be a price to pay at the down-down. Drinking beer out of one of the slow runner's shoes was that price in our Hash.

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

14. Member
    Never in my life have I heard of this. AT first I thought this had something to do with running drugs or some of this new fake weed they sell at the gas stations.

15. Member
    I haven't ever heard of it, but sounds a lot like the Barkley Marathons are, in a sense. Loosely organized, incredibly difficult, and the hazing portion is 100% in just being crazy enough to attempt it.

-b-

Not even close to the insanity that is The Barkley’s

https://www.hashhouseharriers.com/what-is-hashing/

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billspence View Post
    If you take it too seriously and are labeled a FRB (front running bastard), there may be a price to pay at the down-down. Drinking beer out of one of the slow runner's shoes was that price in our Hash.
    Sounds like my hash was an anomaly. I was beermiester for a couple years so was obviously was a regular, I'd be lynched if there was no beer. Being FRB wasn't really a bad thing and never saw anyone drink from a shoe. One of the founders was a big time marathon, iron man, double iron man runner and several others were regularly running marathons and half marathons. One dude, a young track coach was invited to train for the olympics.

They did have a special beer mug with a bunch of odd trinkets attached to it for special occasions. I truly enjoyed the race and trying figure out the trail and be FRB. There also a crowd that were there for the party for sure though.

I went to VA Beach twice and both times it was a pub crawl down VA Beach Blvd. I recall us getting kicked out of one bar where what started it was a couple guys wearing a womans sports bra on there head. It went down hill from there. There was a three day party on a farm that is still a foggy memory and I found my self tilting my coffee mug Monday morning trying to avoid forming a head on my coffee. Honestly, that trip somewhat scared me with some of the things I saw.

I did run with other groups that were more like us and somewhat serious about running, I think it was Charlottesville and some place in NC.

18. Member
    I did one years ago. It was fun. I’d do it again if there were any in my area AND I could run!
    Sam

2022 Falcon F20 TE Hybrid - 250 Mercury Pro XS
    Not a pro - barely an average Joe!

19. Banned
    only hash i know of you either eat or smoke

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Would “Hash House Harriers” be a copyrighted trademark as it’s sort of catchy?

Would you end up getting some night time visitors swiftly and silently trespassing on your property to teach you a lesson if you tried to do that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast